Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: arrrrggg

1. #1 arrrrggg 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys
    some of you may remember that I found a bike in a bag an was busy putting it back together. I finaly found the time to finish the job this weekend. When I was sure everything was in place I started her up and as she was running smoothly and did not make any funny noises I took her around the block. No problems (except for the smoke coming off the exsaust from all the oil that i messed on it) I cleand it and went to bed. next day went out riding and everything was fine (did about 20Km's) then when I was giving my sisters 3 year old a lift, KIRRRR!!! I wasn't going fast or anything. got home ripped off the block and whalla I dropped a valve and hit a hole in the piston. NASTY. Can anyone tell me how this might have happend there was no noise and no warning.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    If the valve or spring are not broken, or the valve has not seized on its guide, then I suspect the valve collets or keepers weren't fully seated in their groove and they slipped out.

When replacing valves, and before replacing the rocker shaft, each valve spring cap should be given a couple of strong taps with a rubber hammer to settle home the valve collets.

Last edited by forchetto; 05-05-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY