Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    Hi
    Don't want to talk about what is the best bike, you have some good advise allready.
    I want to ask a question who is going to ride on the bike ? Just you or am I reading this correct it's you and the whole family ?
    I.just confused from what you have posted.

1. Decent off-road capabilities (I will be moving to far west China, probably some place in northern Xinjiang, it snows a lot - I plan to ride in winter + weekend adventures)
    2. Carry a familiy of 4 - 2 adults, 2 small children (Honda CRF250L does this no problem)
    Just rode across White Horse pass (Yunnan ) today 4500 meters
    Lots of snow.
    Scared the shit out of me.
    With a fellow ride (RTW Rider) on a Shineray X-Trail with nobs on coming off on some black ICE.
    And you would like to ride in the snow?
    Well other member on here can't see what we have here but I can it's like the tyres on the X-Trail but knock off the "S"
    Last edited by prince666; 03-31-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    Putting 4 people on a motorcycle, what could possibly go wrong. Great parenting!

3. #13 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The CRF250L isn't legally imported into PRC.

The JH600 two wheeler is a legal two wheeler available in PRC, whereas the JH600 sidecar (outfit) is legally a 3 wheeler. One cannot legally convert either model 2 wheeler into 3 wheeler or vice-versa. Also to convert a JH600 2 wheeler into a 3 wheeler is a major PITA... as many things differ between the two models... including the gearbox and frame just to mention a few things.

However if you look in the marketplace / for sale section... there's at least one JH600 for sale though there are others at different price points.

The Yamaha YBR is available as a YBG125 (~125cc) trail bike or road going version, whereas the YBR250 (~250cc) is only offered in the road version, no trail bike version.

There are a few other trail bike models e.g. Shineray X-Trail 250. However it may not be able to be plated as a 250cc because it has a carburettor and not EFI therefore won't meet EURO-4 emission standards here in PRC. Despite this, the X-Trail is being offered by some dealers.
    FWIW depending on how far west you go and the elevations, you might need to mess about with the jetting on a carbie bike.
    The price for the X-Trail 250 though was only 7500元 when released in June 2016.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect unicorn bike

It's good to know the CRF can't be legal here, that's helpful. I've looked at the YBR 125G, but obviously lacks the power to carry 4 easily, as well as, size. I will take a look at the Trail-X 250. The X2 is still where I'm leaning so far - it's a pretty big bike, which personally I prefer. We shall see - thanks for the info!

4. #14 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    The X2 u can get as EFI version as travel enduro. I only know it in orange. For modification tips check out my X2 review here in the forum.

Consider also the 400cc Shineray sidecar. Based on an old XR400 engine and quite cute. I see a certain number here in Beijing nowadays

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk

You have the link for your review by chance?

Thanks!

5. #15 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi
    Don't want to talk about what is the best bike, you have some good advise allready.
    I want to ask a question who is going to ride on the bike ? Just you or am I reading this correct it's you and the whole family ?
    I.just confused from what you have posted.

Just rode across White Horse pass (Yunnan ) today 4500 meters
    Lots of snow.
    Scared the shit out of me.
    With a fellow ride (RTW Rider) on a Shineray X-Trail with nobs on coming off on some black ICE.
    And you would like to ride in the snow?
    Well other member on here can't see what we have here but I can it's like the tyres on the X-Trail but knock off the "S"

Yes, I want to be able to ride in the snow considering it snows 4 months out of the year where we are moving to. I'm not going to ride around with my kids in the snow, just me for that most likely, if at all. It just depends on the conditions, I'm not looking for that sort of adventure.

Yes, a family of 4, 2 children (ages 5 and 4) and my wife and I. We have done it before in Thailand - both on the CRF and a little Honda Wave 110, but that one isn't any good for longer trips.

6. #16 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I think the RX3 is a more off-road capable bike than the YBR! Putting knobbies on a standard doesn't necessarily make it an off-road bike. The ever controversial (n)erverride vlogger actually proved the RX3 was a fairly capable off-roader in a series of vlogs in which he verbally ripped the bike apart, on his youtube channel. The irony! Not to mention the guy who bought it contradicted much of what (n)everide showed in his video. The CRF250L would be more than what you want, but you would still want to outfit it for trips. From all I have read, the Shineray bikes are worth a look. You should probably hunt all these bikes down once you are in China, unless you are there and should already be hunting! Well, then...happy hunting!!

Does the RX3 have a version that comes with off road tires? I've been looking into that one and it seems like it could be a potential option...if I could get some decent off-road tires

7. #17 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ATVs are not street legal, right?

8. #18 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    You had you your wife and 2 kids on a CRF in Thailand ?
    Funny I just left Chiang Rai in Thailand and yes I did notices loads of other Nobs riding 4 up.
    You are the man
    Good luck hope to read about you soon in the Chinese papers.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #19 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    I guess I hadn't read this as closely as I wanted--I don't think 4 people on a motorcycle is a good idea under most any condition. I could see myself and 3 buddies sitting around on one of the 3 guys' property with lots and lots of land, and getting all four of us on a bike and riding for a few hundred feet in circles. Yes, we would be drunk, and yes, extremely STUPID, but I know we wouldn't be off on the open road. For sure, I wouldn't put my wife and kids on a bike, at least AT THE SAME TIME. The ONLY bike that I would even consider for a family would be a sidecar model. This would allow you to ride in snow, too, at least much better than on two wheels!

10. #20 Re: Options for Dual-Sport ? 
    Hi Culcune
    Don't wast your time with this guy.
    He is in a dream world or as I said a bit Fat Nob.

Had to ride over a snowy pass today (S217 14.233 feet)

OI004062.jpg

Not because I wanted to but because I had to no fun and very scary.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast