Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi All,
    Myself and a couple of mates are planning a trip this summer and i was hoping i could mine your collective brains on which bike to buy.
    I rode a Qing Qi 200 GY for a couple of years, when i lived n Shandong, but unfortunately i sold it to move here. That bike served me very well (apart from the spokes) and i can buy one here in Wuhan (though more expensively).
    Im just wondering if there is something better or as good out there and available to buy in/near Wuhan.
    Im going for a dirt bike as i like camping and my budget is from 7 - 12,00 ish RMB.
    All ideas are welcome. And if anyone is near or planning to come to Wuhan please get in touch.

Cheers in advance
    Last edited by MGAlbion; 05-07-2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling

i may be biased because i have one, but i think the Galaxy XTR 250 is a great bike!

12,000 RMB will buy you a 2009 model which i strongly recommend over the 08 model (first year of production, engine forks and hubs often broke, all sorted now with better parts)

I bought mine in yizheng (near nanjing) from the jiangsu dealer and rode it home to suzhou. it'd be a bit further for you but still very doable.

I first had the dirt wheels but then swopped for the 17" motard wheels (come with taiwanese rubber) and don't regret it, they're so much fun around corners!

let me know if you want the contact for the shop or have questions about the bike...

Felix, you got any pics of you and your ride?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

yeah here's one!

i posted a couple more in the pictures thread:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hp?t=97&page=3

i don't have any pics of me beside the bike, but it is pretty tall.

with the moto-x wheels i couldn't get both feet on the ground; now with the smaller motard wheels i can, but just about!

5. #5 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlbion View Post
    Hi All,
    Myself and a couple of mates are planning a trip this summer and i was hoping i could mine your collective brains on which bike to buy.
    I rode a Qing Qi 200 GY for a couple of years, when i lived n Shandong, but unfortunately i sold it to move here. That bike served me very well (apart from the spokes) and i can buy one here in Wuhan (though more expensively).
    Im just wondering if there is something better or as good out there and available to buy in/near Wuhan.
    Im going for a dirt bike as i like camping and my budget is from 7 - 12,00 ish RMB.
    All ideas are welcome. And if anyone is near or planning to come to Wuhan please get in touch.

Cheers in advance
    Greetings From Thailand,

I will soon be living & working in Wuhan on a long term contract. How is Wuhan & the surrounding area for motorcycling?

From 2008 ~ 2009 I was in Xinhui (Guangdong, Jiangmen) and had a Jialing JH600. Nice bike in some ways but wouldn't buy another one. I am considering QingQi 250 (Liger or Sport), a Galaxy XTR 250 or possibly a Lifeng DD250G-2.

I kind of like the dual sport and/or super motored types as I can go most everywhere rather than stuck on the street.

Any info and feedback will be most appreciated.
    Every Day .... An Adventure
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

Ride: Triumph Bonneville 865

6. #6 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hey, Bob, I had the feeling after you moved to Pattaya that you'd turned your back on China for good. How you are moving to one of so-called "three great furnaces" (the others being Chongqing and Nanjing)! I don't know much about riding in Wuhan, but it should be good if you can get out of town, since Hubei basically marks the westermost limit of the vast Yantzte River flood plain. This is why the Three Gorges Dam is just upriver from Wuhan. The word "gorges" alone should get your juices flowing, though of course those particular three gorges have all been inundated in a couple hundred meters of silt-(and pollution-)laden river water...

Here's part of the wikipedia entry on Hubei:

The Jianghan Plain takes up most of central and eastern Hubei, while the west and the peripheries are more mountainous, with ranges such as the Wudang Mountains, the Jingshan Mountains, the Daba Mountains, and the Wu Mountains (in rough north-to-south order). The Dabie Mountains lie to the northeast of the Janghan Plain, on the border with Henan and Anhui; the Tongbai Mountains lie to the north on the border with Henan; to the southeast, the Mufu Mountains form the border with Jiangxi. The highest peak in Hubei is Shennong Peak, found in the Daba Mountains and in the forestry area of Shennongjia; it has an altitude of 3105 m.
    What takes you there?

Keep us posted!

cheers

Lots of people say good things about Wuhan, which has a culture all its own and lots of revolutionary and strategic history. Very spicy food.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    My wife is from Xiangfan which is in northwest Hubei. I've made a few trips to Wuhan and found it to be very polluted, much worse than other places I've been in China. We didn't ride the motorcycle there as many of her friends said the city is pretty strict about the no motorcycle law. Other than that, we have ridden all over Hubei, and can say there is some fantastic riding on the west side. Roads are not quite at the level of some of the eastern provinces, but they're advancing fast, so I'm sure you will find some lovely places to go. I would go for the JH600 again, you're going to need the speed to break free of the city and get to the good stuff.

Average pollution day, looking across the Yangtze from our hotel room. The water and air were absolutely disgusting.

Western side of Hubei, somewhere between Wudangshan and Shennongjia. Stunning scenery, roads and villages. Loved this part of Hubei.

Good luck with the move and welcome back to China!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    By the way, Bob, what do you plan to do with the 1200 Sportster?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Bob,

Its been a while since i was on the site. Thanks for dragging me back in with your post.

I'll welcome you to Wuhan in advance. Im still here and there are a few other riders here. Let me know when you get here and i'll be happy to show you around, run you through the place and have a drink. Dont let ChinaV's Wuhan pollution pic put you off; its only as bad as that on days with an A in them!!! Seriously, It can be bad, but its not always bad. And as he rightly said, there are some lovely places on the doorstep. Motorbikes are banned here, but Wuhan is fairly... unregulated, and ive never been stopped as i tooter about on my Zhongshan Sierra (6000km plus and no trouble).

It might, however, seem a bit boring compared to Pattaya!!

Cheers

10. #10 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    By the way, Bob, what do you plan to do with the 1200 Sportster?

cheers
    I'll be keeping the XR1200... It's a classic & I got it 1 year old with only 1000km on the odometer for 1/2 the price of a new one.
    Every Day .... An Adventure
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

Ride: Triumph Bonneville 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast