Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Hey, Bob, I had the feeling after you moved to Pattaya that you'd turned your back on China for good. How you are moving to one of so-called "three great furnaces" (the others being Chongqing and Nanjing)! I don't know much about riding in Wuhan, but it should be good if you can get out of town, since Hubei basically marks the westermost limit of the vast Yantzte River flood plain. This is why the Three Gorges Dam is just upriver from Wuhan. The word "gorges" alone should get your juices flowing, though of course those particular three gorges have all been inundated in a couple hundred meters of silt-(and pollution-)laden river water...

Here's part of the wikipedia entry on Hubei:

What takes you there?

Keep us posted!

cheers

Lots of people say good things about Wuhan, which has a culture all its own and lots of revolutionary and strategic history. Very spicy food.

Greetings Euphonius & Thanks For The Info,

I'm a contract worker with my permanent home in Thailand (house outside Pattaya & house/rice farm in Surin). I have worked all over the world but in the past 7 years mostly in Asia & The Middle East. Most recently I was Quality Director for Foster Wheeler building boilers for export to projects all over the world. I will have a similar position in Wuhan for 2 ~ 5 years.
    Every Day .... An Adventure
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

Ride: Triumph Bonneville 865

2. #12 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    My wife is from Xiangfan which is in northwest Hubei. I've made a few trips to Wuhan and found it to be very polluted, much worse than other places I've been in China. We didn't ride the motorcycle there as many of her friends said the city is pretty strict about the no motorcycle law. Other than that, we have ridden all over Hubei, and can say there is some fantastic riding on the west side. Roads are not quite at the level of some of the eastern provinces, but they're advancing fast, so I'm sure you will find some lovely places to go. I would go for the JH600 again, you're going to need the speed to break free of the city and get to the good stuff.

Average pollution day, looking across the Yangtze from our hotel room. The water and air were absolutely disgusting.

Western side of Hubei, somewhere between Wudangshan and Shennongjia. Stunning scenery, roads and villages. Loved this part of Hubei.

Good luck with the move and welcome back to China!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Greetings ChinaV & Thanks For The Info,

Air/water pollution is a very serious problem in most of the industrialized areas of China The air in Xinhui on a bad day was sort of like sucking on the tailpipe of an old city bus. On a good day it was beautiful. I may try one of those scrubber units for my apartment once I get there so I get some air minus all the other "stuff".
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

3. #13 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlbion View Post
    Hi Bob,

Its been a while since i was on the site. Thanks for dragging me back in with your post.

I'll welcome you to Wuhan in advance. Im still here and there are a few other riders here. Let me know when you get here and i'll be happy to show you around, run you through the place and have a drink. Dont let ChinaV's Wuhan pollution pic put you off; its only as bad as that on days with an A in them!!! Seriously, It can be bad, but its not always bad. And as he rightly said, there are some lovely places on the doorstep. Motorbikes are banned here, but Wuhan is fairly... unregulated, and ive never been stopped as i tooter about on my Zhongshan Sierra (6000km plus and no trouble).

It might, however, seem a bit boring compared to Pattaya!!

Cheers
    Greetings MGAlbion & Thanks For The Info,

I'll probably be there before the middle of next month & will be happy to meet with you.
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

4. #14 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    Greetings All

I'm now living/working as Quality Director for Alstom / Wuhan Boiler Co., in South Eastern Wuhan out East of Optical Valley. I'm looking for a "good" dealer to buy a new Shinray XY250GY-4 Supermotard

shinray_xy_250_gy_2_supermotard.jpg

Any info would be most appreciated
    Every Meal ... A Feast
    Every Pay .... A Fortune

5. #15 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi All,

I live in Wuhan and there is a bike market here where it should be possible to find. I also know of some Chinese contacts that could track something down easily. For 12,000 rmb I think its possible.

I know the comments here are somewhat old in some cases, hopefully you guys are still in Wuhan.

I have a KTM 450 exc bought used, it would be great to meet up somehow,

kind regards

6. #16 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bougie,

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Hope you are able to hook up with Bob S and perhaps other riders there in Wuhan, though one hears it's not the friendliest city toward motorcycles.

And how about posting up some pix of that KTM, an awesome bike and also a Chinabike by virtue of being in China. Were you able to get it registered? What's the latest dope on registration of motorcycles in and around Wuhan, especially larger displacement models?

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi euphonius,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I hope I can meet with them in Wuhan as well.

My bike isn't registered, and I don't have a stitch of paperwork with the bike (TIC) I'm the third owner. It was probably smuggled in Guangdong area.
    I imagine a hongbao filled with the red money might be helpful to find a way but I did not persue it yet. Maybe a granny riding a scooter could photocopy her documents to me ...

I will look for a link on a shanghai site which covers 2 ways to register larger bikes. The issue seems to be when it's time to reniew the registrations,

cheers

My Ktm.jpg

8. #18 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Bougie

I am also based in Wuhan nice KTM!
    I have been looking for bike shops or market as I'm after getting set up with a Chinese 150cc to get around on there
    any chance of sharing the location with me.
    also PM you good to know there is another biker in town

9. #19 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    I was in wuhan for about 3 months. hated it, I ;lived on the 27th floor and normally couldnt see the ground.
    you ask the children what colour the sky is and they say blue, but in 3 months it never once changed from grey. so i guess they see the photo shopped pictures of wuhan as see the blue sky that way.

and lastly, my employer was a cock, so I left (NDI).

My bikes perm home is north in anhui, but in 3 months i didnt even bother to bring it down as parking would have been a pain as I lived in a shopping complex, riding would have been a pain as police were everywhere and if they ever stopped filling motorbike tanks at petrol stations there, i would have been in a mess (i belive it has been threatened once or twice by wuhan government)

so i left there and went to..... hangzhou, just as anti bike a place as any. plan to go back to hefei in summer and just stay there for the rest of my time here (low pay but easy life)
    just because something is possibly possible, does not follow that is it essentially essential.

10. #20 Re: Rider in Wuhan Seeking Bike Advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Lightend

I agree with you about the Sky in Wuhan this's city should be re spelt (雾汉)Wu meaning Fog lol

Work wise things are kinda cool for me although I would not choose Wuhan as my city of choice I must be honest after a 14 months here now it's kinda grown on me ....in a nice way I add.

There are despite what people think some really nice places here I have discovered.

East lake is very nice in spring / summer
    and some other nice tourist places too.
    Also a few decent bars here too!

I had far less problem than I imagined getting a bike here and all at very reasonable cost including registration and plate.

The traffic like most Chinese cities now is a disaster although with the new Metro line opened and more to come travelling around is much easier for general folk but without my bike and riding to work each day I would have been resigned to Taxis to get around.

I also live in a shopping complex and park the bike in the B1 it's safe and easy for me.
    as for cops here I found actually its super free I read Wuhan wasn't bike friendly sure you can't register bikes and officially there should not be many however reality is there is loads here mostly moto taxis

i registered my bike in an out city so it has hubei plate I can ride on elevated roads ring roads over bridges in fact anywhere the cops couldnt give a #%$# I only got stopped once since I got here (trying to turn left at no left turn junction in front of cop) played the only speak English trick showed licence and was waved on.

Cameras here but the take photo head on so can't see the plate I checked the traffic compurt system No recorded instances from my daily trips over the bridge the traffic rules here are virtually non existant so all in all my feeling is although on paper this city is anti bike in fact is actually a great place for bikes if you ride with the mindset no one will follow any kind of traffic rules.

Im also not a Hangzhou Fan visited many times

I may sound like a Wuhan PR guy it's not a pretty city but on biking terms from my year here it's cool but I guess it's kinda like any city you either like or hate it based your your own experiences living there.

Also met some great people here riding a bike in China is a challenge more so for a foreigner but one you get your bike and actually get on the road its worth all the effort!

Hows is Hefei you are riding there?

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast