Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Will it be available? Other 300cc Kawasakis are not here.

It does look appealing this thing

2. #32 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    I have had an eye on this as well as a potential option. Early reviews in the US seem to be favourable. There is supposed to be a 250 vstrom as well but......so far nothing
    there is the versys 650, expensive but looks good enough
    for local conditions I think I would be happy with a DR650/xt/xr or something like that but, unavailable.
    I think an enduro type bike makes a certain amount of sense, they are certainly the way to go at home. here though there is a real lack of large displacement enduros at a reasonable price. I can't stomach 145 + tax for a KTM 690 Enduro
    to add to the "interesting potential but not yet, if ever coming models" list in the SWM SuperDual https://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/superdual/. in theory that would do me just nicely, thank you

SWM RS 650 R Enduro, about half price of the KTM ....

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #34 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    SWM RS 650 R Enduro, about half price of the KTM ....

thats why I have been talking to you about it seems decent

5. #35 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    Most Enduro style bikes come with small petrol tanks 200km or less which IMO that is a problem without carrying extra fuel.
    From my recent 60.000 km ride, what percentage do you think I wish I was on my Honda CRF 250l ????
    Thinking back adding up all the KM I hit bad roads was no more than 400km so that works out at less than 1%.
    So even on a 260kg Touring bike with road tyres you can still ride about, yes at times very slowly but I got to the end ok

I know which bike is more suited for long hours in the saddle and not haveing to watch the fuel gauge all the time

If you are looking for dirt then the SWM for sure the better bike.

Last edited by prince666; 05-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Banned
    I know the Shineray manager! He's a little helpful when it comes to stuff but often just puts you to another person - Chinese ways huh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. #37 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    So about a month since first posing this question here and about 2 months in total of umming and ahhhing and researching and analysing and sweating I finally came to a conclusion.
    I want a decent sized, well made bike but really couldn't find anything that I really wanted, within my financial constraints. Some new friends here in town are R1200gs riders and were gently nudging me in that direction but....
    1. I felt nothing for the bike (i.e. it didn't blow my skirt up)
    2. Even 2nd hand they were over my budget which made me feel a little uncomfortable
    3. All the gadgetry and rider aids etc were a bit of a turn off (other than ABS, which I wouldn't mind having). I got the sensation of almost driving an SUV..... (nothing against the GS owners out there, they are awesome bikes, I am just not ready for one yet)
    4. I like the idea of "man alone" kind of adventures, and although I can comfortably pick up a gs when it is on flat ground, I had images of being in the middle of nowhere with 300kgs of machine stuck somewhere that I couldn't move it

So I looked at other things, a Kawaskai Versys, A Ducati Scrambler and a Hypermotard, The Benelli 502 and 600, Shinerays, SWMS, KTMS, Honda NC750..... the list is endless

I think I know what larger bike I would like to buy in the future (more on that later) but for now I want something smaller, simpler, cheaper. In other words something that if the shit hit the fan (in whatever way that might happen here) I would/could walk away from it and not be hurting too much.

So what did I buy?

A Honda CBF190X. Basically a little air cooled street bike with a reasonable seating position, high handle bars and a decent screen. I am due to pick it up tomorrow. lets see how quickly the ks get racked up on it!
    IMG_3275.jpg

8. #38 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    The research is over your choice had been made.
    A good starter bike to get you going.
    See you on the road.
    Keep the rubber down

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

My underline bought same bike and seems to be happy with it.
    Yhr built quality is good and I am sure u will have fun. Only I think the bike is a bit small for your height. (?)

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #40 Re: Soon to be riding in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    My underline bought same bike and seems to be happy with it.
    Yhr built quality is good and I am sure u will have fun. Only I think the bike is a bit small for your height. (?)
    Its certainly not perfect and surely is a little short but once the seat is padded (for height and comfort) and the bars raised accordingly, it will be enough to get me through the next 12 weeks where I have barely any work to do and therefore LOTS of free time. AND by that time I will have enough experience on Chinese roads to know what I really need and whether or not one of the new bikes due out in September will in fact be suitable for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast