Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    Hi Guys,

Been riding for years in SH with Hu A plate and moving to Beijing starting on 1st of June, plan to do the daily commute to work (Guomao area) and buy a SWM440 gran Milano, not sure if this bike is available in BJ though (it is in Shanghai already)
    hence would like some info from seasoned Beijing riders!

My questions:
    Anybody know a reliable, trustworthy, professional and friendly seller in Beijing, preferably selling the SWM440?

My advice for Shanghai: Jeff, 2717 Wuzhong rd near Qixin rd, mfmoto@163.com : he always treated me with patience and care, scooter or bikes, license plate Hu A and Hu C he'll do it efficiently, speak a bit English for those who don't speak mandarin.

As I'll be working and living around the 3rd ring 京A plate seems to be the right fit, isn't it?

right now the price is around 90K, for the 京A, right? price seems to sky rocket as few years back it was worth 10K!

What about the lifetime issue, 11 years, (not the case with Hu A in Shanghai), what does it mean? if I get closer to the 11years my 京A plate will be worthless as obsolete and my 90K investment go to the trash? I'll need to buy a new plate? Or can I renew it? Please explain.

Can I sell and shift the plate easily like in SH if I decide to sell the bike?

Thanks for your help guys.

T.

2. #2 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    According to what I've read on here (I.e. Not my own experience)
    New bikes are good for 15 years. As long as you scrap your bike according to process, your 京A can then be kept, even if not attached to a bike, until you add it to a different bike, then the same rules apply again.

Don't try to plate a bike, new or used, that wasn't originally sold in BJ.

京A plate enforcement inside 4th ring is rare, got a buddy living inside 3rd ring, riding a 京B without issue for years, including on ring roads (technically not allowed) except ahead of things like large military parades and the like. You'd have to get your bike registered in the name of a bike shop outside 4th ring and outside any district that crosses 4th ring (e.g. 朝阳区).

If you can afford the 90k, as long as 北京 doesn't change theire plating rules, you should be fine.

I created a wiki to try and aggregate wisdom from this site, chinamoto.wikia.com and it has a much fuller explanation of the 京A vs 京B issues.

There is also a reputable bike shop page with two reputable bike shops, again based on others experience.

Welcome to BJ.

Ed
    Last edited by gt7599a; 05-15-2017 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo & formatting

Not the plate get worthless, but the bike (theoretically)
    That is why you can find old farmer bikes worth 90k

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    Guys Thanks for the quick feedback.
    So from your replies, License plates (京A or B) don't get obsolete over time: you can keep it as long as you change bikes as it's actually the age of the motorbike that matters.

Ed, I'll check your website as well. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Topmanda; 05-15-2017 at 12:58 AM.

5. #5 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'm not sure 京B plates can be moved but there is no limit on the number of 京B plates so, it doesn't matter. Most 京B plates are 'public' meaning the blue book has the name of the company where you registered the bike, not your name. Sounds weird but this is 'normal' in Beijing. You own the bike because you have physical possession of the large registration book. As long as the company you registered the bike through stays in business, you're fine. If they go out of business, or didn't get their license renewed on time you won't be able to do you annual inspection (or every 2 years for recently purchased bikes) until that gets cleared up. Had it happen to a buddy recently but it did get cleared up. If it doesn't get cleared up your bike becomes un-insurable. So, if you're planning to drop a lot on a bike & can afford it, 京A is probably the way to go. The two bike shops listed on the chinamoto.wikia.com have been around so they will hopefully stay around.

Ed

6. #6 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    Thanks for your insight, I indeed plan to invest in a 京A, I contacted the SWM seller and he told
    That he can do it for me but plates are around 130K now, which seems to be quite a big difference from what I heard (100K), of course I understand that price are increasing but that's fast. Will call other sellers to Benchmark (Qili and Datone Motors). Don't hesitate if you have more I go on the matter.

Thanks,

T.

Dont believe that dealer!
    He also tried to sell my wife a residence permit update for 3000rmb and she checked it herself and got it done for free finally. For the plate price he try to rip you off IMO.
    I have somewhere a contact from a plate agent. I check it and PM you. Then you check independently.

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

8. #8 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    C-Moto Regular
    congrats on your Hu A... you should save the money and buy a house! :)

9. #9 Re: Beijing: reliable mortocycle shop and 京A license plate questions! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am riding chinese 125 in beijing for more than 3 years without any license which seams i am lucky enough to bee living inside 3rd ring road. I want to get my bike license ASAP but the problem is that my visa is from other city and people told me that i can't get bike license unless my visa is issued from beijing. I already have chinese car license. I need help here for the license.

not your visa issue place is relevant but your visa type, validity and BJ residence registration is

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast