Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Just purchased a 2017 Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ. Enjoying the ride and getting her broke in. I will be looking for mod help later. Chime in and lets here about those rides.

Heedeh (Sun) cheenuh(bird) Native American
    Just call me Chuck.

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....
    Last edited by Heedehcheenuh; 05-18-2017 at 02:30 AM. Reason: TaoTao Powermax VIP 150cc/157QMJ
    Two wheels down head on a swivel

2. #2 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Man, you get around these groups!! You won't get much information here due to the fact that most of the members are ex-pats from Europe living in China and would not be familiar with the Taotao, which is an export-only brand That being said, the GY6 150cc engine should be near identical to most any other GY6, so I wouldn't count out the majority of the membership just yet...

3. #3 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Man, you get around these groups!! You won't get much information here due to the fact that most of the members are ex-pats from Europe living in China and would not be familiar with the Taotao, which is an export-only brand That being said, the GY6 150cc engine should be near identical to most any other GY6, so I wouldn't count out the majority of the membership just yet...
    Well I search all forums for info and knowledge. Could not hurt. I just changed the plug to the NGK and she runs a little better. With only 200 km on the motor she is still getting broke in. My thing is just getting the feel of her and how to handle her. I rode a 19 mile trip the other day and enjoyed that run. With my R.A. she made me sore for a day or two. lol But that is me and not the bike. I was looking into the 15-16-17/36 top gear for the speed needed and then tweak the variator to get the rpm and torque at the sweet spot. They just passed the moped law in South Carolina and some are going to be unhappy about that. I want to try and stay stock with the motor but do the variator/plug(iridium)/cdi /exhaust and cold air intake. just leave the motor alone until she needs rebuilt then go for the BBK 170cc.

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....

4. #4 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    I am legit now and rolling legal. Tags registration 1yr permit and insurance. Now I have to get a belt. Chinese belt could not hang with my heavy fist lol Muffler on the way also. That crack has me changing it before anything breaks. Even in the rain today she ran like a VIP Champ lol Not a Future Champ. I am so enjoying this. I was still at the DMV when the drizzle started and told myself to ride it like you stole it.*

Heedehcheenuh

Chuck D

Ride on.....

5. #5 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Glad to read the update!

6. #6 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    OK changing belt and counted clutch 8.3 turns to 1 on tire. Any guess as to what gears my be behind the cover? Do not want to change them yet. Belt was fine also. Found 1 exhaust nut fell off driving home in the rain the other day smh. I will put the gates belt on and find a new exhaust nut to put on (Call my scooter repair cousin) so I can burn up the road.
    Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....

7. #7 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    New Gates belt on and nut on exhaust. She is smooth as can be. New exhaust will be here Tuesday as well as GPS speedometer and mounting pod for it. Best loose change I have spent so far. 15/38 gears are next and let her ride. Tires will go from 120/70-12 to 110/90-12 to also give me the top speed needed. The power should fall in the range I need. If not variator weights rollers/ sliders can do the rest.

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....

8. #8 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    I went on an 18 mile run today and she ran perfect. New Gates belt-NGK plug-oil/gear oil change-exhaust-GPS speedometer and a tank of gas. I held my own running 50-57 mph (GPS). On a flat stretch I held 50 mph at 8000 rpm so the gear change will put me to my sweet spot and may stay with factory style tire but Michelin brand. I noticed the clutch bell had a little wobble (Bad machine work) and may replace it with a better brand. Still only have 300 kl on the Chinese odometer.

Each time I go out I travel a little farther just to test myself and the scooter. My R.A. (Rheumatoid Arthritis) gets the best of me at times.

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....IMG_20170530_204205228.jpgIMG_20170530_204459036.jpg

9. #9 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Gears are in and much better. 60 mph (GPS) in a head wind. They had 12/40 gears in it; stock setup. Lower rpms for the runs so far all under 8000 rpm and just riding. No more 8000-9000 rpm runs lol.
    I knew the gear change would do the trick. Now to finish breaking here in to see if I need to tweak the motor or if she can handle the runs and load. 3.33 final gear ratio stock to 2.31 ratio performance gears. She is not as buzzy sounding or feeling running 55 mph up hill and smooth as can get. i hope to get a camera set up to record some of the runs showing the GPS and Chinese speedometer with the tachometer in one shot. I have a cheap NABI camera but no mount yet.

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    Ride on.....IMG_20170605_102158080.jpg

10. #10 Re: New rider from South Carolina USA 
    Just went back out running 62.8 mph GPS in the head wind tucked and grinning lol yes things work out when you plan around a setup that you want. She is not as snappy out of the hole anymore, just smooth, and lowered the rpm down so now I can calculate the rollers/sliders - tires- and cold air adjustment I want. I may put the baffle back in the exhaust to see if there is any difference with vrs without it.​

Heedehcheenuh
    Chuck D
    ​Ride on.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast