I have been reading as much information as I can in the last couple of weeks trying to digest the registration rules and peculiarities so that I can make an informed bike purchase but I am still somewhat lost....

I live in Ningbo (Yinzhou Higher Ed Zone), Zhejiang, in an area that my friends say you can ride a bike (its outside the "forbidden zone") but you can't register a bike if you live here. I have a solution to this problem, I may simply move to a nearby area where you can register a bike.

I have a C1E now and I wish to buy a bike legally.

I have been looking at a couple of bikes from other provinces that I would like to buy second hand but I am unclear on the process. Firstly, is it possible to buy a used and licensed bike and register it in my name in Zhejiang? If so, how would one go about such a task? Is it simply a matter of taking the old plates to the DMV with the bike's registration papers and proof of purchase, along with my residency registration papers?

Or, as I suspect, is it more difficult?

Thanks all for your help and the help I have already gotten by reading MILES of threads here : - D