Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: So how does it work? 
    What would be the difference between a new bike with no plate and a 2nd hand with the plate legally removed.?
    Answer .... Both have no plates.
    See my point
    In both cases, with the correct documents, both bike can be legally registered in your name IMO.

with the case of buying a 2nd hand bike, I would before I pay is to visit the local Traffic Police from the area the bike is plated to confirm the bike can be de-registered.?
    And ask what is needed to register the motorbike in your name?

I did advise you some time back you have a guy on your doorstep (bikerDoc) who has in the past registered bikes from other province and from a foreign owner who has been successfully in registering the bike in his name?
    He may have time to help/advise you on this matter.
    No harm in asking.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: So how does it work? 
    Fighting the bike ban!
    I have been told the same thing.
    Furthermore, even if I register it in my name, I should apply a plate from the city where I live.
    But I live in Shenzhen, no plates issued...

So till now the only solution is to buy a second hand from Chongqing hoping that the guy delivers what he promised: to help me to get the motorbike checked yearly in a "virtual way", i just pay and i get the document.

What absurd country is this...

3. #13 Re: So how does it work? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirocaputo86 View Post
    I have been told the same thing.
    Furthermore, even if I register it in my name, I should apply a plate from the city where I live.
    But I live in Shenzhen, no plates issued...

So till now the only solution is to buy a second hand from Chongqing hoping that the guy delivers what he promised: to help me to get the motorbike checked yearly in a "virtual way", i just pay and i get the document.

What absurd country is this...
    I think the vital word used is "I HAVE BEEN TOLD" by some Chinese guy?
    Why is it my Yamana YBR purchased in Hainan and plated in Hainan in a name and an address from Harbin?
    Furthermore, you can have a bike inspected in a different location all you need to do is go to the local traffic police from where the bike should be inspected and get them to stamp the GREEN BOOK to allow the bike to be inspected elsewhere.
    Now the question I don't know is doe's the owner have to be present when the bike has to be inspected .
    But all this said and done just get the bike in your name just makes life a lot easier. .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #14 Re: So how does it work? 
    Fighting the bike ban!
    Can you plate a motorbike in a city and the owner be in another? First time i heard, that's a good news, problem is I'm not sure that works here in Shenzhen.
    Bike inspected in different location, yes i've heard that, but it seems that where motorbike are totally forbidden also inspection are stopped, hence here in Shenzhen there is no chance of inspection. Do you have any info on how to obtain this stamp on the green book?
    Getting the bike in your name, well nobody I've talked to seems to be able to do that, do you know how to do it?
    I read you have a Yamaha, everybody is saying that it's nearly impossible to plate foreign motorbike (god knows why).

So here's the thing, there is something you know that we don't or maybe your location rules are easier than mine?

Would you please give me and other like me some more info, we'd really appreciate!

5. #15 Re: So how does it work? 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi Cirocaputo86

I'd like to share my experience.

3 years ago (2014) in Shanghai I bought my first motorcycle. that time i haven't enough money for something fancy, so I didn't visit BMW, Ducatti etc branches. I just took a look on Chinese motorcycles and Jialing JH200-8 catched my eye (yep, that time I also had zero experience both with riding and maintenance). I checked Jialing's dealers close to my living area (downtown Shanghai) and found one. so I just went there with my Chinese mate to help me with communications.

I was told they could sell me the bike, but I can only got it plated with Shanghai Hu A license plate (120k RMB for that time) if I'm willing to do it under my name. also in Shanghai I should had not just 1 year living permit and working visa, but also a special document, called B-zheng (looks like Chinese ID with your photo) and this document is a big problem to get in past few years.

when I came there 2nd time to discuss more details, owner was there - talktive 45 years woman. she blah blah blah with my Chinese mate around 15 minutes until I stood there like a donkey with big eyes. but finally she offered solution: she will register this bike under her name and also she will get it plated in neighboor province - Jiangsu (riding in Shanghai with Jiangsu license is illegal, but it's another story). all in one package cost me 16k RMB, which includes 14.5k for motorcycle itself. if add 10% for taxand registering procedures, her service cost me nothing (!)

she told also that for next checking (after 2 years) I had to send her papers, and she will get it done for small fee. and she didn't cheated me - now I am in Qinghai (2300 km away from Shanghai), and last year I sent docs to her - everything was done for 400 RMB including insurance (200 RMB). for me it sound like good deal.

also I have to mention, that I did visit another shop in Shanghai back in 2014. and I asked them whether they could sell me a bike and get it plated on someone's name. "yes, of course! but this service is very special for foreigner and hard to do it! so this may cost you 1000 RMB every year!"

so I think I've got luck with Jialing shop :)

and here in Xining (where I am living now) I bought myself another Jialing - JH600. and because this is small city and bikes are allowed here, I got it registered under my name without any problems and I didn't need any B-zheng's or other documents. just yearly residence permit (like working visa).

all I want to say: different places - different rules. also very important to meed good people :)

whish you luck!

6. #16 Re: So how does it work? 
    Hi guys
    On the road at the moment on my way down to SH .
    When I get the chance I will post back ok

Below is a post by the "Doc" which will save me needing to post now.

Most points are covered by the Doc.
    But please please remember what worked for the Doc or me might not work for you,
    But now you have a good insight on what could happen.
    Ride Save.
    "Rock & Roll" The Afcain Twin way.
    Last edited by prince666; 05-27-2017 at 06:43 AM.

7. #17 Re: So how does it work? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirocaputo86 View Post
    Can you plate a motorbike in a city and the owner be in another? First time i heard, that's a good news, problem is I'm not sure that works here in Shenzhen.
    Bike inspected in different location, yes i've heard that, but it seems that where motorbike are totally forbidden also inspection are stopped, hence here in Shenzhen there is no chance of inspection. Do you have any info on how to obtain this stamp on the green book?
    Getting the bike in your name, well nobody I've talked to seems to be able to do that, do you know how to do it?
    I read you have a Yamaha, everybody is saying that it's nearly impossible to plate foreign motorbike (god knows why).

So here's the thing, there is something you know that we don't or maybe your location rules are easier than mine?

Would you please give me and other like me some more info, we'd really appreciate!
    Take the bike along with the Motor Vehicle Registration (green book) to the Traffic PSB where the bike is plated/registered and explain that you will be taking the bike to another city (for whatever reason/purpose), although and albeit temporarily e.g. not moving permanently. The Traffic PSB will provide a chop/stamp or some such which allows the person brandishing the bikes 'green book' and identification card 'blue book/wallet' to then have the bike inspected away from the originating Traffic PSB (where you obtain the chop/stamp).

Does this mean that the original owner could theoretically be in one location while the bike and the person using/in possession of said bike present to some other jurisdiction with said amended 'green book' and 'blue book' and present to the local Traffic PSB establishment. Sure, TIC and everything is possible. All rules, laws are open to someone else's logic or lack thereof, and/or interpretation. On my recent bike re-inspections (4 bikes), I didn't use my passport for two of the bikes since my Chinese assistant was present, so her PRC ID card was used instead. Her ID card doesn't tie in with my bike ownership in any way. However it ticked the box required.

Two of the four bikes I had inspected later that day (riding each one back and forth between place of residence and the inspection station), and used my PRC DL for identification verification. All forms of ID were scanned using the upright vertical camera mounted on-a-stand common in this part of PRC.

Of course TIC so what applies in one jurisdiction may or may not work elsewhere, or there maybe slightly different requirements.
    Also this won't work where one is relocating the bike to a 'dry' city (I think at last count there were ~170+/- dry cities/jurisdictions that ban motorcycle riding). If bikes are banned in the jurisdiction then no bike related government services is the common result. Also depending on the day of the week, how the wind blows and what side of the bed one does or doesn't get out of, or even if the person had a bed to sleep in may vary the outcomes at any given moment in time.

TIC LFZ, no one rule applies to everyone, everywhere, all the time.

YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Banned
    I bought a bike last year from Yantia Group member
    Sent my GF ID card to him he spent 2 days arguing with them and had to bring an agents meaning Chinese person yet his Chinese was excellent
    Plate was removed docs sent to Chengdu he rode the bike to Chengdu all the while no plate but some temp paper thing and it was already at that point in my GF named responsibility!
    We plated the bike in Chengdu she had to be there!
    Recent changes meant that now both seller and buyer must be present at DMV at place of origin best of my knowledge as we had to do that when I bought a bike from another city and moved it to my city both in same province
    Sooooo seems like you might need to be present at the purchase end with ID as they photograph you holding the ID card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. #19 Re: So how does it work? 
    Interesting... I almost want to do a dry run with a cheap bike just to see what will happen before I commit to a decent bike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12