Hello all! My girlfriend and I are no strangers to riding in challenging and foreign places, and also skirting the law at times (we once drove a 40 year old motorcycle from India to Spain with fake papers the whole way). We just sold a little 150cc bike that we spent 3 months on in Indonesia and now we now want to buy a motorcycle in Xinxiang and spend a month or so driving around. So...how stupid would this be?

I have no China license (but an international one I do have). We are on tourist visas. The plan was to buy two 50cc bikes (we heard that for those you dont need a license or papers). The alternative would be to buy a 125cc and ride two up, but then there is the issue with license plates and registration etc. The problem with the 50cc idea is the minimum speed limit...or is that a problem?

Another problem is that I read on a post here that there are no motorcycles in Urumqi? Is that right? That was where we planned to buy the bike.

So, thoughts on all this? Are there lots of police checking documents? Is it true with a 50cc we would be in the clear? Any reports on riding in Xinxiang? Any ideas at all how we could have some sort of a quasi-legal moto adventure in any part of China?

Thank you for your ideas and thoughts!