Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    KING of MCM LOL prince666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    china (Longkou), Hainan
    Posts
    1,827
    Hi Mr Monkey
    Was the bike you're purchased not a 250cc.

    Beijing to Yantai 1 day
    Yantai to Shanghai 2 days
    So the other 10 days you can visit the rest of China.
    With reference to your other concerns, stop reading RR and start your trip and sort out all the problems along the way.
    Good luck.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    motor maniac ShuBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    742
    Riding with two is not pleasant on this bike. IMO the passenger foot pegs and seat is only good to pick up someone from bus station near by. Its a typical single rider bike.

    Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Moto Scholar moilami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Finland - Vanda
    Posts
    1,234
    Looks like you have an adventure...and for sure very sore rear :))
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Mr Monkey
    Was the bike you're purchased not a 250cc.

    Beijing to Yantai 1 day
    Yantai to Shanghai 2 days
    So the other 10 days you can visit the rest of China.
    With reference to your other concerns, stop reading RR and start your trip and sort out all the problems along the way.
    Good luck.
    Yep, modded to 300cc by.. Um.. Previous owner:)) yeah, one day to yantai? I'm not questioning that.. Just I'm not a fast rider and on a (fairly) small bike suited I guess less to road use than off road...
    We'll see..
    One thing I saw in the above video (guy did the longest tour of China with his girlfriend too) was that Beijing allows bikers to get on the highway.. So.. This should cut down the time....
    Don't like his description of Chinese driving on there though...my only experience was roads outside lijiang in yunnan... Leading into the town.. Three lane road... Cars kept their distance.. But God... Tractors don't half just love popping out of nowhere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Sure, just for you some friendly advise and apologies in advance for spoiling the "Lets ride into the Shanghai Sunset Dream" somewhat as some people will say otherwise but open your eyes, pretty obvious really in plain sight, plenty of them old and new signs around everywhere now entering Shanghai municipality (province) via well known smaller side roads and around - nearby national highways (G320, G312, G318, G204). Don't you hate that awful feeling, constantly nervously looking over your shoulder, knowing very well your about doing something borderline illegal and just hope nothing happens. Want to play in Shanghai, gotta pay as they say!

    Welcome to Shanghai >The Pearl of the Orient< and enjoy your stay ~ ride safe! PAL

    ps: once they implement the rumoured -NO GASOLINE- for outside plated motorbikes across all service stations for the entire Shanghai municipality (province), the real fun and games will start and Shanghai bike plate costs go through the roof once again and the authorities get what they want in the end as less motorbikes around... It's a long way to push a bike to get across to Jiangsu / Zhejiang provinces for a relaxed refill....




    I wanted to post a reply here. I'm sure your motivation is that of warning me.. Lord knows I'm a "nube " as the Americans say:) so cheers for the warning. I actually do understand your frustration with Shanghai if you live here and ride... That's been doing my head for over ten months.. Rules and regulations and lack of clear information etc... Regarding bikes registration and Shanghai. Got to the point where I'm not allowed to talk about plates etc to my friend:) no go topic.
    So, I understand the frustration, appreciate the warning and can say... If, hypothetically, I had a 外地 plate, I would have a place both outside the outer ring and another outside Shanghai proper for storage.. You know hypothetically speaking:) Actually if this was the case then, again it would be because of your warning that I arranged this.


    On that topic... I went to the police at hami lu a few months ago and asked them about 沪C plates. They said I need an address outside the S20 or 外环路 to achieve this. I had fully intended to move way out just to get a plate. Does anyone know what details one needs for a blue 沪C...? Perhaps someone who had done it recently... I'm guessing a home address outside the outer ring road and residence permit at that same address.
    I have a Chinese friend who says the blue 沪C Is only 1500.
    Last edited by Metalmonkey; 06-18-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Re wording
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    KING of MCM LOL prince666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    china (Longkou), Hainan
    Posts
    1,827
    Lord knows I'm a "nube " as the Americans say
    You will be fine, you have a dream that doesn't make you a "Nube"
    All the things you can't do with a bike in China I do.
    1 Ride on Toll roads
    2. ride in banned city's
    3. Fill up my tank without using Kettel
    Yes, I get stopped by the police.
    yes, I get escorted off the Toll roads.
    I just smile act stupid which in my case is easy lol.
    And just do what I love doing riding all over China.
    So far never had a fine, never had a ticket.
    Just 2 weeks ago got stopped by the police on the tolls roads around SH, no problem.
    Got chased by the police when I crossed over the Hangzhou Bay Bridge, no problem.
    So all the scaremongering from people who live in that area and have had to pay out fortunes for a legal number plate.

    Good on you well done, I am sure you are happy.
    So Mr Monkey things are not that bad, hoping to read an RR on MCM soon.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Moto Scholar moilami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Finland - Vanda
    Posts
    1,234
    Like someone said, just hit the road and deal with issues as they come :) The bike is fine, it will be a joy to ride, sore bum excluded, but other than that it is great. Just shift your position often, ride by standing, and take some breaks when needed. Best would be though make in advance something what will make the saddle more soft and wide. It can be whatever, the looks matter little :)

    Edit: The biggest issue is that your trip will be over sooner than you realize it, and that wont be much fun :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Senior C-Moto Guru ZMC888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Zibo, Shandong - Sometimes SW England
    Posts
    2,239
    My two cents...
    Go to decathlon and buy a hammock, mosquito repellent or net and a summer sleeping bag. Use it to take a break during the hot 10am-3pm 35-38c max daytime temps, loads of trees along the main roads or an easy way to save on hotels especially if you are caught out in the middle of nowhere. I've tried tents and bivvy bags but a hammock is much more simple and more comfortable IMHO.

    Leave Beijing super early maybe 5am, lovely cooler weather. Get past Tianjin and down through the flatland boring northern Shandong and do your best to get to the mountains around Yantai before dusk.
    Next day take it easy and get to Weihai, day after down to the mountains around Qingdao.
    The next day ride across to Taian and check out Taishan and some of the roads around the northern side of Taishan.
    Next day get up really early and puts some serious distance into southern Shandong/Northern Jiangsu and head SE towards the coast you might need a night out in flatland Jiangsu on your way down to Shanghai.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    My two cents...
    Go to decathlon and buy a hammock, mosquito repellent or net and a summer sleeping bag. Use it to take a break during the hot 10am-3pm 35-38c max daytime temps, loads of trees along the main roads or an easy way to save on hotels especially if you are caught out in the middle of nowhere. I've tried tents and bivvy bags but a hammock is much more simple and more comfortable IMHO.

    Leave Beijing super early maybe 5am, lovely cooler weather. Get past Tianjin and down through the flatland boring northern Shandong and do your best to get to the mountains around Yantai before dusk.
    Next day take it easy and get to Weihai, day after down to the mountains around Qingdao.
    The next day ride across to Taian and check out Taishan and some of the roads around the northern side of Taishan.
    Next day get up really early and puts some serious distance into southern Shandong/Northern Jiangsu and head SE towards the coast you might need a night out in flatland Jiangsu on your way down to Shanghai.
    This is serious and constructive advice. Thank you. Wonder if anyone uses tarps? I've got everything I need except gotta pick up oil in bj and a puncture repair kit.. Bought tire irons.. The bike cones with a tool kit and spare inners....i have a hydration kit... Panniers.. What else? Downloaded the app ups Motion x plus..

    Had this crazy idea this morning of going to jinan to see the qingqi factory and the mountains around there... Really liked crazy Carl's post on here about that factory... Has anyone ever done Beijing to jinan in one day? Baidu says it's 420 odd kms.... Doable? On a dual sport x2x? Will the engine like it? Will I?:)[ATTACH=CONFIG]19399[/INSERT]
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Like someone said, just hit the road and deal with issues as they come :) The bike is fine, it will be a joy to ride, sore bum excluded, but other than that it is great. Just shift your position often, ride by standing, and take some breaks when needed. Best would be though make in advance something what will make the saddle more soft and wide. It can be whatever, the looks matter little :)

    Edit: The biggest issue is that your trip will be over sooner than you realize it, and that wont be much fun :)

    OKay. Foam/sheep skin? Not the kind of bike one gets an aftermarket seat for eh. Pretty sure an x5 is in my future.. It's all set up for adv. Although I felt the x2 is a great place to start with the lower weight.. And shuben has done a lot of nice things to the bike.

    Speaking of qingqi... I'd like to go back and look at the older posts by China v etc... Those guys must have taken smaller bikes longer distances.. Eg. into western Sichuan etc

    Mind is a blur with stuff I need... Eventualities etc...
    Got more like eight days for this trip now. The first day in the morning, I'm now doing(driving) my first motorcycle sidecar tour in Shanghai which I'm super excited about.

    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beijing crackdown, June 2013
    By Lao Jia Hou in forum Asia
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 10:26 PM
  2. QiQiHar to Beijing June 2013
    By lobotomous in forum Ride Reports and Meetings
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM
  3. 9-10 June N.Beijing trip
    By lobotomous in forum Ride Prep and Making Tracks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  4. Sidecar tour in Shanghai on 3 June
    By Ben_Cj750Sidecar in forum Sidecars
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 04:59 AM
  5. Wuhan to Shanghai June 2010
    By Steve_R in forum Ride Reports and Meetings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •