Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    If I think of stuff "I need" the list just goes on.. But camping equipment is a great idea to cut costs, enjoy the journey and make it more flexible.

I've also thought.. Do I need to take an extra fuel holder like a clip on rd plastic Jerry can? Hose for siphoning? Surely won't need new tires...

I guess it's a good idea to take some sort of chain lube.. Grease or spray

2. #22 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Some people swear in the name of sheepskin, but for sure foam is better than nothing :) You already have a thin unergonomic cut of it on your bike, adding more wont hurt :) Chain lube is in my opinion a must unless you have a sealed chain, which you don't, or unless you have waxed the chain. Grease is in my opinion by far the best for sealed chain and spray for unsealed. A hose you wont need, what you need is a knife which you can use for all kind of things, even to make a DIY hose of a bottle :) I don't know how there are fuel stations, but if there is not enough for your bike, then you need extra fuel, otherwise not.

I just noticed you are doing the trip two up. Well, it will surely be an achievement with that bike. Also if your woman can make it, then you certainly have a good woman :)

The amount of stuff what would be good to take to the trip "just in case" is sick and you would actually need a car where you could load it :) So now especially two up you will have to cut it to bare minimum, and even that is too much :) You just can't prepare for everything to be self sufficient. Most of the stuff you suddenly can need you can get on the way, and getting it will be part of the adventure.

Hammocks with a mosquito net are all the rage in Finland by people doing long several day joggings. Tent is actually shit, it can be hell hot during day, so much so that you wont be able to stay inside of it, it can also take more room than some hammock, especially if you need some sleeping pads for you and for your woman. Tent is only good to get cover from rain and mosquito when you sleep. If you can afford, I might recommend sleeping in hotels. Nothing bad in sleeping in a hotel. You can focus on riding instead of camping, and you will get an easy shower :)

I have done about 2500km solo trip with 250cc china bike, dual sport, the bike was fine for it (aside saddle). Would make another trip in a blink, but two up it would had been a feat :)

Edit: Just noticed you linked a camping video. If you are very interested to do camping, then by all means do camping. If it works for you you will get as good nights as in hotel, if not better, and you will also become used to camping, which will save you a lot of money :)

3. #23 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    [QUOTE=moilami;85132]

I just noticed you are doing the trip two up. Well, it will surely be an achievement with that bike. Also if your woman can make it, then you certainly have a good woman :)

Nope, not doing the trip two up

4. #24 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Edit: Just noticed you linked a camping video. If you are very interested to do camping, then by all means do camping. If it works for you you will get as good nights as in hotel, if not better, and you will also become used to camping, which will save you a lot of money :)
    yeah, the great thing about motorbikes obviously is that there are so many types for different tastes and usages. Although I have little experience, I'm really interested in adv biking and maybe enduro (although this will take building off road skills) and, you know intercontinental travel in the future. Lucky enough to be able to ride CJ750 atm too. This would be great for camping. ..could take everything AND the kitchen sink. (see Felix's old vids on taking a motor powered dingy on the sidecar, Haha)

5. #25 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Enduro teaches you super important skills in motorcycling and ADV motorcycling :) You just don't get them by doing tarmac only. Enduro is great fun too :)

CJ750 is awesome, I would take a sidecar hack in a heartbeat :) The only downside is increased fuel consumption, which though could be countered by camping :)

6. #26 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    This is serious and constructive advice. Thank you. Wonder if anyone uses tarps? I've got everything I need except gotta pick up oil in bj and a puncture repair kit.. Bought tire irons.. The bike cones with a tool kit and spare inners....i have a hydration kit... Panniers.. What else? Downloaded the app ups Motion x plus..

Had this crazy idea this morning of going to jinan to see the qingqi factory and the mountains around there... Really liked crazy Carl's post on here about that factory... Has anyone ever done Beijing to jinan in one day? Baidu says it's 420 odd kms.... Doable? On a dual sport x2x? Will the engine like it? Will I?:)[ATTACH=CONFIG]19399[/INSERT]
    Tarps...get one and bungee cords and you can use it over you with a hammock, excellent idea it can be stormy at this time of year.
    Jinan, good for shopping or a western meal if in the southern part near 1000 Buddha mountain, the rest is sprawling dusty, polluted and hot.
    Qingqi factory. The early thousands were a time when the Chinese pretended foreigners were VIPS and pretended to listen to the advice of laowei, times have changed, I wouldn't bother.
    The mountains between Jinan and Taishan are quite pretty, not high or extensive, you can be through them in an hour, but the altitude and shade cool things down a bit.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

7. #27 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    What I would bring....
    -GPS or map.
    -Camelback or similar water bladder.
    -Hammock, mosquito net, tarp, mossie repellent bungee cords.
    -Limited supply of food.
    -Waterproofs and clothes.
    -Money and cards, passport driving license all sealed in plastic.
    -Chain lube and bicycle pump with gauge (similar to an MTB trail pump).

Some logical points....you can believe that you can camp all the time, but in hot weather after probably one night of being dirty and insect bitten you'll probably want a night in a binguan or hotel. So if you are passing a nice looking one by all means stay there. But remember the camping equipment is great as it gives you the ability to turn down overpriced and shitty hotels. Tooling around at dusk hunting for a binguan sucks, but knowing you don't need one is great as it takes the pressure off you.

8. #28 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Tarps...get one and bungee cords and you can use it over you with a hammock, excellent idea it can be stormy at this time of year.
    The early thousands were a time when the Chinese pretended foreigners were VIPS and pretended to listen to the advice of laowei, times have changed, I wouldn't bother.
    Spot on with those comments... IMHO.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #29 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Had this crazy idea this morning of going to jinan to see the qingqi factory and the mountains around there... Really liked crazy Carl's post on here about that factory...
    I went to the QingQi factory and posted about it here somewhere. Don't waste your time.

Cheers!

10. #30 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Sure, just for you some friendly advise and apologies in advance for spoiling the "Lets ride into the Shanghai Sunset Dream" somewhat as some people will say otherwise but open your eyes, pretty obvious really in plain sight, plenty of them old and new signs around everywhere now entering Shanghai municipality (province) via well known smaller side roads and around - nearby national highways (G320, G312, G318, G204). Don't you hate that awful feeling, constantly nervously looking over your shoulder, knowing very well your about doing something borderline illegal and just hope nothing happens. Want to play in Shanghai, gotta pay as they say!

Welcome to Shanghai >The Pearl of the Orient< and enjoy your stay ~ ride safe! PAL

ps: once they implement the rumoured -NO GASOLINE- for outside plated motorbikes across all service stations for the entire Shanghai municipality (province), the real fun and games will start and Shanghai bike plate costs go through the roof once again and the authorities get what they want in the end as less motorbikes around... It's a long way to push a bike to get across to Jiangsu / Zhejiang provinces for a relaxed refill....

I want to reply to this. In the fullness of time, I have to conceded that what you stated is actually the case. Sorry, It's just I didn't want to hear it, seeing as I thought I had found a plated bike for sale that I could use in the outskirts of Shanghai.
    Chinese local riders have in the last two weeks let me know that, officially, no outside plated bikes (外地牌子) are allowed within Shanghai now- the boundary being the actual boundary of Shanghai. My god!

So props to you for catching this early and actually warning me. My mistake -had deaf ears.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast