Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    Oh yeah, another question
    Will my Chinese license get me from here (Shanghai) to the U.K?

I'm guessing not as I don't have a British motorcycle license (yet)- only a car and scooter license.

2. #32 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Oh yeah, another question
    Will my Chinese license get me from here (Shanghai) to the U.K?

I'm guessing not as I don't have a British motorcycle license (yet)- only a car and scooter license.
    YES IT WILL
    Done the trip last year visting 26 other country's.
    The only one I was refused entry into with the Chinese DL was Hungary .
    Now you have it first hand advise.
    And I don't have UK motorbike license before you ask.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #33 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    YES IT WILL
    Done the trip last year visting 26 other country's.
    The only one I was refused entry into with the Chinese DL was Hungary .
    Now you have it first hand advise.
    And I don't have UK motorbike license before you ask.

That's crazy, even the U.K.? The Chinese drivers license is only written in Chinese.. That is I have a C1D and the motorcycle endorsement.. The part in the back explaining what type of vehicles I can drive/ride is only in Chinese.

4. #34 Re: Beijing-Shanghai late June 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The PRC DL is bilingual on the front, so long as your foreign name is provided in English, then shouldn't be to much of a hindrance.

Officially given the PRC never signed the Hague convention etc, therefore there's really no legal ability for the local PRC establishment so to speak to issue IDP (international Driver Permits), using the PRC DL.

However one can find a number of quazi legal-illegal providers of IDP or IDL (which are BS) via the all-things internet. However if you look into such matters you will find that there's no legality for these imposter IDP plastic cards, and even less so for IDL (International Drivers Licence). Most authentic fully legal IDP's issued in conjunction with a legal DL from countries that are signatories to the Hague convention, are usually only 12 month duration from date of issue and take the form of a multi-page booklet.

There are two types of IDP;
    1. 1949 Convention IDP; or,
    2. 1926 Convention IDP.
    Both look identical (usually light grey booklet), with only a small article change on the front depending on which convention is being applied to the IDP (1949 vs 1926). Some countries recognise one convention or the other. One would need to check which IDP is legal in the country for which one plans to traverse via self drive etc.

(Convention on International Road Traffic of September 19, 1949 & World Court Decision, The Hague, Netherlands, January 21, 1958)

Applying for a UK IDP
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The PRC DL is bilingual on the front, so long as your foreign name is provided in English, then shouldn't be to much of a hindrance.

Officially given the PRC never signed the Hague convention etc, therefore there's really no legal ability for the local PRC establishment so to speak to issue IDP (international Driver Permits), using the PRC DL.

However one can find a number of quazi legal-illegal providers of IDP or IDL (which are BS) via the all-things internet. However if you look into such matters you will find that there's no legality for these imposter IDP plastic cards, and even less so for IDL (International Drivers Licence). Most authentic fully legal IDP's issued in conjunction with a legal DL from countries that are signatories to the Hague convention, are usually only 12 month duration from date of issue and take the form of a multi-page booklet.

There are two types of IDP;
    1. 1949 Convention IDP; or,
    2. 1926 Convention IDP.
    Both look identical (usually light grey booklet), with only a small article change on the front depending on which convention is being applied to the IDP (1949 vs 1926). Some countries recognise one convention or the other. One would need to check which IDP is legal in the country for which one plans to traverse via self drive etc.

(Convention on International Road Traffic of September 19, 1949 & World Court Decision, The Hague, Netherlands, January 21, 1958)

Applying for a UK IDP
    I've seen C Trip offer a link or help Getting IDL via online link to I think HK notary office or such the like, I've know people to use these in other countries
    I've yet to do one and see if it works as a non Chinese person etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234