Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Yes... I did it...

I do not know what it was that sucked me into the world of motorized peddle bikes. I was smitten by the videos for a few weeks and had to order me a kit and get to work. I had a problem though, I just did not want to do it alone. So I recruited a friend and proceeded to brainwash him into building one with me. Then i ran into another problem, I liked the look of big bulky tires.

So, we both bought 80cc kits with no upgrades. Figured we would mod them later. His bike was a typical mountain bike. You could literally slap the kit on in about 3 hours. No real modifications needed to be made. The motor in the Hub lined up like it was meant to be. Mine? maybe I was in over my head...

I was trying to mod a fat tire bike. Of course the engine on the frame mounted normaly would mean the chain was going through the tire. I had to weld some steel bars to the frame to give me a place to mount the motor further out in order to get the chain around the fat tires, Then the kit chain was to short and I had to order extra links. Then the holes were drilled poorly and I had to pull the motor and re align it. Then the gas tank mounts did not fit the frame width and I had to make some home made mounts. Then the carburetor did not fit on the manifold because of the bike frame so I had to use copper pipe to move it until I get a offset manifold. Then I spent hours trying to find vacuum leaks. Then I finally get it running and the motor is squealing terribly. Turned out it had no grease on any of the sprockets or the throw out shaft and bearing inside. Then I had to learn how to adjust the clutch inside the motor and the cable. Then my head gasket started leaking cause it would just rattle loose almost immediately. So then I had to pull the motor and put rubber under the mounts to absorb vibration and pull all the bolts and Loktite them.

Needless to say, I have learned a lot from this experience.

Bike runs great for not being broke in yet!
    Here are the bikes... mostly finished.

My wife kept saying she wanted to be able to ride with me. So we ordered an electric bike on taobao.
    Last edited by Asymptomatic; 06-15-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Wife complained about a visible license plate
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Wow, very cool bicycles, I am sure I would like those, have once tried a bicycle assisted with electricity, and it was great :)

3. #3 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Wow, very cool bicycles, I am sure I would like those, have once tried a bicycle assisted with electricity, and it was great :)
    They are quite fun! The electric one is much smoother and really quiet. Much better for shorter rides and exercise. However, the louder more obnoxious gas version goes much faster at about 45km/hour and goes much further before running out of juice.
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

4. #4 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #5 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    They are quite fun! The electric one is much smoother and really quiet. Much better for shorter rides and exercise. However, the louder more obnoxious gas version goes much faster at about 45km/hour and goes much further before running out of juice.

Hmm... 45 sounds a bit extreme with that

6. #6 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Hmm... 45 sounds a bit extreme with that
    Your right, the brakes are not quite adequate. But hey, risk is exciting.

7. #7 Re: 80cc China Girl Fat Tire Masterpiece... Or Not 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Your right, the brakes are not quite adequate. But hey, risk is exciting.
    Ah, well, good point, indeed it is :)