Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Good and Bad!!

1. #1 Good and Bad!! 
    small bikes and diesels palace15's Avatar
    Can anyone give advice on which machines are good and ones that are bad? In the UK there seems to be a stigma to Chinese motorcycles, I personally worked on an 18 month old Chines scooter and was amazed at the amount of corrosion on such a low mileage machine, I know this could have been down to bad owner maintenance, but alot of people remarked that this is the 'norm'.I have a preference for simple pushrod engined bikes and the largest capacity I have found is 230cc, any input would be appreciated.
    Dave

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Depends on your budget. With Chinese bikes I believe it pays to buy those that are built entirely by the company that puts their name on the tank, eg. Loncin, Qingqi, Lifan, Jialing, Zongshen, jincheng, Jinlun,Pioneer, etc. These will be built on a large well equipped factory, with certified production and quality systems and a controlled and trained workforce.

The ones to avoid are the ones made by small fly-by-night outfits operating from some shed and putting together miss-matched and badly finished components made by whoever does it cheaper.

The problem is identifying which are which and not being tempted by too good to be true Ebay bargains of obscure makes with no technical support or spares or even dealers able to take on the servicing. If you're not mechanically inclined it's best to stay away from Chinese bikes.

Only wading through forums such as these before buying will you learn which are good and which are nothing but trouble. To make things more difficult, importers re-brand major makers products as their own, witness the Qingqi Dual Sports are sold around the world under 21 different names...
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY