Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shanghai Plates and Riding rules 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone,

I've had a search around and can't seem to find very current information regarding plates and the rules around it here in Shanghai. I have a few questions I would love answered.

1. Which plate would be best for evening and weekend riding around Shanghai? Ive heard that you can have a plate from another city that allows you to ride after 8pm and on weekends?

2. What's the penalties for riding around on a C plate in areas like Xujiahui and Jingan if you get pulled over? But have correct licensing etc.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Cheers.

2. #2 Re: Shanghai Plates and Riding rules 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Shanghai motorcycle restricted riding areas/local bylaws
    Yeah a little old and possibly/probably outdated, but a worthy starting point IMO
    Yes, possible that an out of town plated bike could be impounded, however so long as the bike is 100% legal, just go pay the fine etc and retrieve the said bike... simple.
    I've ridden a number of my Ningbo plated bikes to Shanghai and back, never once been ticketed. However, if I was, I'd argue and be able to show evidence (prove conclusively) that I in-fact do live in Ningbo, which might get me off the hook so to speak.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Shanghai Plates and Riding rules 
    C-Moto Regular
    1. Outside plated (or not plates) motorcycle / moped / scooters / two wheel whatever is immediate confiscation. If you are extremely lucky, you may get a turn back if you are around Shanghai border, but if you are inside confiscation has been happening. Whether it be locals or foreigners. electro bikes get by just by sheer numbers, but they can still be confiscated. This doesn't matter if it is 2 am or 2 in the afternoon. 24 hours.

2. C plates in XJH, JA or CBD areas are experiencing confiscation also, but usually tickets. (Info from the Ducati guys). tickets also depend on if they ding you for other things.

Things have been quite tough with no tolerance instructions from Transport department. Seems they found a good idea to increase revenue...

4. #4 Re: Shanghai Plates and Riding rules 
    C-Moto Senior
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ghai-late-June

Welcome to the "PEARL OF THE ORIENT" Shanghai and enjoy your stay! Ride Safe! Pal

ps: got a few fully legal transferable Shanghai "A" + "C" plates (bike registration) up for sale, educate yourself on market price of the day before getting in touch, cheers!

Attached Images