Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    So I go down a lot of dirt roads and I was looking for a bit more traction. Problem is, very few dual sport tires come in the right sizes to fit my little Duke 390.

I went up from the stock 150/60 rear to a 160/60 rear. I went up from the 110/70 front to the 120/70 front.

They fit with no rub. The rear has plenty of room but the front has just enough.

It does not seem that going to a 160 rear has changed the ride feeling much. I know many forums said a 160 on a 4inch rim is to big but I found several manufacturers sites said the 160 is ok.
    1215438339.jpg
    1963832818.jpg
    1325276642.jpg
    1270128862.jpg
    1183055962.jpg
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

3. #3 Re: Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    Cool, in my opinion those a bit wider tires are no probs :) But why don't you change to knobbies alltogether? Years back when I went like 80/20 tarmac/dirt, I changed to knobbies and never regretted :) Sacrifice on tarmac performance was greatly countered by superiority on dirt :) DS tires are for pussies :)

4. #4 Re: Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Cool, in my opinion those a bit wider tires are no probs :) But why don't you change to knobbies alltogether? Years back when I went like 80/20 tarmac/dirt, I changed to knobbies and never regretted :) Sacrifice on tarmac performance was greatly countered by superiority on dirt :) DS tires are for pussies :)
    Lol! I would have to take my mud guards off to go with knobby tires. As it is, these tires almost rub the guard. I ride 70% city and about 30% country roads and never in any hills, grass, mountains etc... I thought these tires would be perfect for the job...

I was wrong, the back tire must be deformed a bit from being squeezed onto a 4 inch rim. When I lean into a corner, the side of the tire is so steep it feels like its falling into the corner now. I am sure that has reduced the contact patch as well. I will need to look for a 150 DS rear tire. I might have to give the Shinko's a try. They are much cheaper anyways. I will keep the pirelli's till I wear them out though.

On a positive note, the lateral and forward grip on dirt roads today was 100% better compared to my continental Race Attack 2's. They also were mind blowing in the rain. Felt like I was on a new bike. Great rain grip! So as long as I am not cornering hard they will be ok. Problem is, this ruins our weekend practice. We go to a open parking lot and practice all types of maneuvers every Sunday and now I will be scared to lean...

5. #5 Re: Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    Oh, interesting, that does not sound too nice, but DS tires by definition should not be as good on cornering on tarmac as street tires are. You should also go do some practice in parking lot so that you would get a better idea how the tires behave, probs is in lower speeds you can corner hell deep with them anyway :)

6. #6 Re: Fitted the new Pirelli MT60RS Tires on my Duke 390 
    YEAY!

I am a fool and a liar...

So I have been riding the hell out of my bike the last week. At least 1000km of exploration and commuting.

I broke the tires in. It does seem to flick/lean faster and at first it was intimidating but it turns out it sticks the corners like a champ. The rubber on the tires is pretty damn soft so traction is great. I took it down more really bad Chinese roads then my ass cares to remember. Before, on the Continentals I would always slide left to right when I hit the edge of little dips in the dirt. These things ride right through with no feeling of slipping unless I punch it or something.

So... what do I think? I love them but they are so soft I think they wont last as long as maybe the Shinko's or something. If you want longevity, look elsewhere, if you want DS tires that stick like bubble gum to the bottom of a desk, look no further!

Found this place exploring the other day. I guess they call it the Hongchi reservoir.
    470152103.jpg