Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    What people are saying you live in a band motorbike city.
    And only you and the local know how much that is inforced in you area.

Can you even plate a bike were you live ?
    Can you apply for a Chinese DL in your area .

Was even recommended to keep a pack of cigarettes with me to assist in situations with the cops
    Ho shit is this how it works?
    I been doing all wrong for the last 8 years.
    I been taking cigarettes of them lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    C-Moto Noob
    That is what I'm trying to find out at the moment
    I'll probably be able to get my dl here easily enough.
    Just not sure on all the detail yet. Will have to make a pitstop at the "roads authority" in my area to see if I'm allowed to even have a 650cc on the road
    Otherwise I just might get me one of those 150cc tomahawk replica's for the shits and giggles

3. #13 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    Or, you can try to find out what is the story about electric bikes in Guangzhou. As I understand, there are some commuter motorcycles with electric motors. If authorities are rigid toward motorcycles with internal combustion engines, maybe some wheeled vacuum cleaner can do the job for you without additional fuss with plates and s....
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #14 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    wheeled vacuum cleaner can do the job for you

Will definitely ask around, see if I can find some locals who know a lil more about the laws this side.

5. #15 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    Quote Originally Posted by SOmeAsHOle View Post
    I'll probably be able to get my dl here easily enough.
    Are you saying that because you've already done some research, or are you assuming?
    C1E or C1D license in Guangdong is almost impossible.

Just not sure on all the detail yet. Will have to make a pitstop at the "roads authority" in my area to see if I'm allowed to even have a 650cc on the road
    Otherwise I just might get me one of those 150cc tomahawk replica's for the shits and giggles
    The assumption that a smaller cc motorcycle is any different than a larger cc motorcycle is an internet rumor from decades ago. The size of the engine has had no bearing on registration in China for many, many years. That said, I'm not aware of any districts in the immediate vicinity of Guangzhou that will allow you to plate a bike anymore. Jiangmen used to be do-able, but I haven't checked in years.

Where you live in Guangzhou is very relevant to whether you can get away with riding the bike regularly. I lived in Dongguan and rode my MC to work every day, there are guys living in Shenzhen that ride all the time as well. Cities in China are very big and some areas are sort of OK with riding a bike.

6. #16 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    China is a battle for control and authority.The desperate quest for money is just a symptom of that, surprisingly not the cause. in reality it's a giant battle to be puppet-master and have the puppets dance to your tune. Those that step out of line will be punished in whichever way seems appropriate at the time and depending who YOU are - mass conformity, down to the finest remote control.

Luckily you can still be free to certain point in rural areas as that is where the controllers draw their consent.

My suggestion would be to largely forget the idea of city riding or commuting in a city unless maybe on the extreme fringes, and just get up into the hills where it's best! I'm not saying don't ride or even to follow the rules slavishly, just make the best of things.

7. #17 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    One point that should be made is IF you are riding an out of city or Province plated bike, is not to say you can't ride into or through a band City.
    Done it loads of times, police tend to be a bit more relaxed in the situation like this.
    As been mention, China is BIG with loads of places you can ride legally, so get out from the city and enjoy China.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #18 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    C-Moto Noob
    I believe i'm in the Nanhai district in Foshan city. Atleast that is what i've been told. I see plated bikes everywhere. Hoping they will let me get my DL, as I have 2 from Namibia (One that was printed for my bike and the other was for both the car and bike) Still staying hopeful though!

9. #19 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 
    I believe i'm in the Nanhai district in Foshan city. Atleast that is what i've been told.
    Bummer, that's a really boring place to have a bike. There aren't a lot of good rides in that area and you've got tons of river/bridge crossings were they love to set up motorcycle traps. The good stuff is all to North, which is really hard for you to get to because you have to go around Guangzhou.

Some suggestions:

• Go to the Guangzhou motorcycle market and ask some questions about bike registrations. If you find a district that still registers bikes, you can probably also get a MC license there.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...t-in-GuangZhou

The MC Market in Guangzhou is probably the best in all of China. You can thank me later.

• Think about what kind of riding you really want to do. Most people get the wrong bike in China. Think adventure dual sport if you intend to really want to explore. Sport bikes are not much fun in most of China.

What's your budget? Money solves all problems. If you don't mind spending 10,000 for a license, it's not that hard to do.

10. #20 Re: New kid on the block looking for some moto orientated friends 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast