Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Beijing- Qinghai- Shanghai late June 2017 
    C-Moto Guru
    Beijing- Qingdao- Shanghai

June 21st-29th 2017

My plan was to fly to Beijing, pick up the bike I had purchased and hen ride it to Shanghai by way of coastal Shandong. I took 9 days of leave to achieve this.

Day 1

Crazy day, up at 6am didn’t sleep a lot, off to do a sidecar tour in Shanghai. By 10:30 it seemed I and the CJ750 I was driving was not needed. So I took the bike around with my friend.. first time navigating alone, so got somewhat lost and the heavens opened. Realised it was getting late and I had a 3 o’clock flight to catch, stuck in a one way system, I was able to see the destination but kept zipping past it, so I decided to take the only route in front of me that took me to my destination, a twenty meter section of Yanán road stood between me and the end point. Although I saw the no motorcycles sign, I went for it and was immediately pulled over by a motorcycle policeman and given a ticket in barking orders. Thankfully no points (edit three points- freaking distaster tbh). Got the bike back, in the rain and took a taxi home in heavy traffic then rushed to Hongqiao. Got my flight in the nick of time.

Got to Beijing, tried to avoid taxi touts at the airport but became frustrated with them, eventfully got to the seller’s house in the evening and packed up the back. Thought to myself upon inspection "the petcock is closed" and then did nothing about it. Finally set off and the bike conked out down the road. Pushed it back. Confirmed with previous owner that yes, the petcock was closed. Took off again, dropped the biked a couple of kilometers away. Previous owner came and told me I’d killed the battery. We push started it.. Something learned.

Found a hotel after a fair amount of time and phone running out of battery. Just a back drop to the real journey. More to come..

Failures (learning points)
    - Got ticket in Shanghai I need plenty of time for driving in Shanghai and a map with the no-go roads on
    - trust your gut (and open the blooming fuel valve)
    - My new bike's carburetor is easily flooded when dropped
    - The electric start on the new bike will drain the battery quickly if over-used (get a kick starter in future- qingqi gy200? and /or be very careful with the electric start.)

Basic stuff, you might say.. but I'm at stage basic:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19488[/INSERT]

Packing- everything I took- 30 kgs!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19489[/INSERT]

She's ready (in Beijing)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19490[/INSERT][ATTACH=CONFIG]19491[/INSERT][ATTACH=CONFIG]19492[/INSERT]

The original plan for my route ( to take in Yantai)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Metalmonkey; 07-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.