Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Been reading along...
    Just want to add a few lines if I may. If you are aiming for 500km in a day, it will depend what routes one chooses and how busy the roads are from all the myriad of road users, because if one is on anything other than a solitary mountain track, or a Gaosugonglu - expressway, then be prepared for any eventuality, and possibly either not attaining 500km but considerably less, or riding will past sunset. Some aren't comfortable riding at night, and I might agree if it were early say from sunset to 3-4 hours past, but after that usually the roads vacate of most of the 'other types of road users' and settles into a rhythm of taxis, buses, trucks... and the latter are usually more often the vehicle types seen most commonly when it gets really late, especially midnight and beyond. For me this is when roads become more navigable. But not everyone agrees.
    My point is, plan for 500km in a day but work towards 300km as an average, unless you can jump on the gaosugonglu.
    Make yourself a cheat-sheet, with all kinds of Chinese words (pinying) and characters that you can show to someone when you need assistance, whether it be food, accommodation or even motorcycle parts. Will make your life easier and as suggested a contact that can be reached any time who can help you explain something. The biggest issue with this though is that persons ability to understand and explain a wide range of things (not easy really as it sounds).
    There's a list of bike part names in CHS - English here on MCM...
    A small Lonely planet phrase book also can be very helpful...
    Carry your DL, passport and copies of these...
    Banking ATM cards... cash... and keep your wits about you... especially riding. Smile a lot...
    Don't sweat the small stuff...
    Carry basic toolkit, spanners, Allen keys, screw drivers, puncture repair kit and depending if your bikes tyres are tubeless or not will dictate what you need in the event of a puncture etc.
    A simple first aid kit ensemble can be useful...
    Zip ties, and some gorilla or duct/duck, electrical tape and some wire...
    I could go on, but been plenty of suggestions already.
    Shiny side up, rubber side down
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #42 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    Thanks a lot bikerdoc!
    Will try to do everything properly!

Actually, I do like riding at nights - again, Chinese night roads might be different, but usually I feel comfortable.
    But of course, the first day of riding is diffetent from the fifth one in a row - so better to plan less mileage after day three etc before you have a bit of rest.

3. #43 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi, Alex

I'd like to share some experience on your 'Day 4 Wuwei to Xining' route.

I took exact route, shown on your screenshot, for several times. these are county roads with less cars and picturesque views. there are two mountain passes, one of them is almost 4000 m high.

but both mountain passes and parts of route are unpaved. no asphalt, just gravel. and it would not be a big problem maybe, but along this route is new highway in construction with many heavy trucks carrying construction materials and producing tons of dust, which will cover you and your pillion with thick layer of it.

so I recommend you not to take that route.

instead I'd like to suggest to take North-West direction from Wuwei by G312 (parallel to G30) and get on G227 somewhere near Jiaojiazhuangxiang or Chenhuxiang/Laojunxiang areas (there are few county roads on flat lands). then by G227 go down to Xining. of course, it will make your way much longer. but G227 is going through beautiful mountains and I think it's worth it.

4. #44 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    Hi a_steel!

Yes, I also consider that mountain rout to be tricky, that's why various options are under review - so thank you for your comments!

I also noticed that for the route via G227 you are suggesting (when looking into details) Googlemaps show some parts being toll roads (3.6km, 2.5 km, 84 km) - does it mean that these are might be just pay roads but not expressways so I can go there on a motorcycle with a pillion?

5. #45 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    C-Moto Regular
    G227 shouldn't be a problem. I took that route this May and nobody stopped me at gates. so should be OK. and one more advice - better not to ride it at nighttime. if you will leave Wuwei at early morning, before sunrise, then you will arrive Xining before dusk.

6. #46 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by a_steel View Post
    Alexey, you may consider another option: ride to Xining, have few days here, then leave bike in some place for storage for 1-2 months. then come here again, for example, in end September, take bike, ride it from here down to Sichuan or whenever else during National holidays (first week of October)

storage here isn't a big deal, I know at least two places where your bike will be safe till you come back.

I am considering to make ride from Xining to Chongqing at the end of September to visit CIMA 2017 (motorcycle exhibition).
    How are your plans for this trip? Really sounds awesome. If you want a fellow rider, I'll go. Do you plan to go south from xining and enter Sichuan by the North West of the province?

7. #47 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi, Metalmonkey

actually, I am planning go to Chengdu by motorcycle and park it at one MCM member place there. then go to Chnogqing by train. I plan to start around 17-19 of September and reach Chengdu within 2 days.

I will go south from Xining to Amuquhuzhen (阿木去乎镇) town by small county roads, and then get on G213, which will lead me down to Chengdu. Google satellite map shows that some of county roads are unpaved, so I will go and check them this weekend to see whether my small bike can go there.

if you wanna join me - you're welcome. only one question how you suppose get your bike from Shanghai to Xining?

8. #48 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    How are your plans for this trip? Really sounds awesome. If you want a fellow rider, I'll go. Do you plan to go south from xining and enter Sichuan by the North West of the province?
    So far so good! Please see my indicative route below. Plan to leave BJ on Saturday, 16 Sep.
    I still might need to adjust it a bit once I finalise the list of places for overnights and probably even make some bookings - but generally it looks like this:
    Beijing - Xining - Beijing - 3 Aug 2017.jpg

P.S - Oh, I've just recognized that it was me not who was asked! :)) Apologies for misunderstanding. Have a nice trip!

9. #49 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexeyich View Post
    So far so good! Please see my indicative route below. Plan to leave BJ on Saturday, 16 Sep.
    I still might need to adjust it a bit once I finalise the list of places for overnights and probably even make some bookings - but generally it looks like this:
    Beijing - Xining - Beijing - 3 Aug 2017.jpg

P.S - Oh, I've just recognized that it was me not who was asked! :)) Apologies for misunderstanding. Have a nice trip!
    How many kilometers in that? Looks awesome, good luck, enjoy and have fun!

10. #50 Re: Beijing - Qinghai - Beijing (Sep 2017) 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    How many kilometers in that? Looks awesome, good luck, enjoy and have fun!
    Google Maps say it is 4700km. We'll see:)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast