Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    New Bike made by Honda here in China.
    Looks nice! I will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

2. #22 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Quote Originally Posted by infralin2 View Post
    I heard the same, but not from a reliable source. A similar rumour was that a temporary DL provided in Beijing would only be valid in the Beijing area. But I don't mind too much. As prince999 pointed out, it is better to have some than no DL at all. And I understand the temporary Chinese DL is only valid with a translated accompanying original DL, which does state the proper categories. At least it will show that I did my best to follow the rules ;-) If things go more or less as planned I will know for sure in March 2018 and I will of course let you know the outcome!
    One bit of advice if you don't have an IDP which is just a translation?
    Then get your country DL translated into Chinese and then get the translation allfentercated by the Chinese embassy in your country.
    Or just use the Translation you need to do at the airport.
    Remember the police will not understand what your DL covers.
    The more paperwork you have the better IMO.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #23 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    f things go more or less as planned I will know for sure in March 2018

My yearly schedule is the same, each year I leave my bike in Kunming (Mid October) and travel down to Thailand for the winter.
    Returning the END of March.

If you are either near Kunming or Hainan let me know and I could arrange to hook up with you to help you get along with arrangements.
    Not rode Hainan for a few years now, so I would love to have the opportunity to ride there again.
    Keep me up to speed with your plans.
    Download WeChat it will come in useful, all the other stuff don't work in China.
    Even VPN is getting hard work nowadays.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #24 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Many of the things I buy today in Europe come from China, so one tends to assume that everything can be found there. Good to know that often is not easy.
    What ChinaV is saying I think, yes ALL stuff we can purchase here, but you need to understand most Chinese people use Taobao (Chinese eBay) and then you need to know what is real and what is shit.
    Like DID chains on Taobao can be purchased for 55 RMB.
    That price alone must tell you these are not real DID chains and are copies that only last 3000 km at best.
    Most stuff you guys get in the EU from China is not sold here.
    And are generally a better quality.
    Take 1 item you need to buy a USB port? will the shop who sells you the bike have one in stock? NO.
    Can he get you one YES from Taobao but will take 5 days to arrive.

Here is a link to Taobao for Motorbikes chains 13 pages and if I search another word I may get 100 pages more come up.

link. https://world.taobao.com/search/sear...17-PR854-PR895

USB charging ports. link 60 pages https://world.taobao.com/search/sear...17-PR854-PR895

Every new bike I have had in China, I set up with loads of stuff like you want to do, but on average by the time I have order and take delivery and then fitting the stuff is about 2/3 weeks.
    Not sure if you have this time spear
    Last edited by prince666; 08-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.

5. #25 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If you are either near Kunming or Hainan let me know and I could arrange to hook up with you to help you get along with arrangements.
    That would be nice! The timing doesn't match, but March is still some time away, lets see how things develop.

So it will be the YBR 125cc but remember the Chinese one are not EFI models.
    In Europe the YBR125 is now sold as YS125 (slightlly different engine, style changes as with every new model, but for the rest very much like the YBR125. I checked the yamaha cn site (with the help of the translator of course) and it also shows the YS125 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/pr..._qs_ys125.html). Does that mean that this model is indeed sold in China? According to the specs it does have EFI.

The site also lists dealers per province and cities (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/index.html). Not sure if I understood things correctly, but I did not find any dealer in Hainan. I did find some in Yunnan, but not in Kunming.

My first priority now is to get in contact with a dealer who can confirm that the YS125 can be purchased in China. Then find a way to get it registered. I intend to order the bikes before arriving. It is unlikely they keep two exactly the same bikes in store.

6. #26 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    What ChinaV is saying I think, yes ALL stuff we can purchase here, but you need to understand most Chinese people use Taobao (Chinese eBay)...
    I often order things from the aliexpress.com site and assumed I could things have delivered in China. Based on your remarks I checks the delivery options, almost any country on the list, except China. I think I start to understand. Don't expect things to be logical. TIC!

But the Taobao site looks all right as well. As you said it will be tricky to distinct crap from quality. An how are payments handled? I was planning to order this before leaving home and have it delivered to the place I will buy the bike, paying with my creditcard. Would that be possible?

I was planning 4 weeks for the preparation phase in China, including getting the DL, registering the bike, ordering the required accessories and doing the mods. So that timing seems all right.

I already created a WeChat account some time ago (id: linden1952) and use it occasionally. Works fine, also from the Netherlands.

7. #27 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Credit card is basically useless throughout much of China. Purchasing on Taobao is a total pain in the ass. You need to set up an Alipay account and then put money in it via a Chinese bank account. I'm not kidding when I say, buy EVERYTHING you can possibly think of before you leave.

If you find a friend in China with an Alipay/Taobao account, you can just give them cash and they can handle purchasing stuff for you. Would be very helpful to have a contact that can drop ship an important part via Taobao if you break down somewhere and need something sent quickly.

8. #28 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    As ChinaV said unless you live in China and have a Chinese Bank account then Taobao will be a no no for you.
    Will add your WeChat account ok

9. #29 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Buying from Taobao would be possible for non-Chinese language users/buyers and those located outside of Ch!na, if using an agent (there are quite a few agents that deal with Taobao sellers) such as Taobaofocus. Such agents act as an intermediary and deal with the communication, purchasing and dispatch etc. for a fee. It's probably not the same as dealing with a Taobao seller directly and there's likely to be issues around warranty and exchange due to the time involved with sending and receiving items etc. however it can work. Keeping in mind though that not all items advertised on Taobao or many other sites inside Ch!na are as advertised or even available or exist, so an agent may have to find an alternative seller of a particular item etc.
    YMMV
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Re: Taobao & foreign credit cards. I've been doing fine with a US based Visa credit card for about a year now. I pay a little extra ~3% but I also get a % back. Doesn't work for paying bills (e.g. Cell phone too up) but it's worked fine for me for all other things. YMMV.
    Having said that, do yourself a favor, follow bikerdoc's advice and use an agent. If you lived in China you could practice using Taobao, but considering your timeline... you have enough adventure coming without that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast