Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    norton_650.jpg

When news broke that Norton had sold the design for their 650cc parallel-twin engine to Chinese firm Zongshen, the reaction was mixed. Some people said it would be good for the business, while others were worried that the Norton brand would be watered down. We spoke to CEO Stuart Garner to find out just what the deal is and why they’ve done it.

“Well we’ve got all the pub experts jumping on and saying we’ve sold out to China, which is absolutely not the case,” says Garner. “It’s actually the reverse. We’ve been developing the 650cc platform for ourselves and after speaking to Zongshen, we’ve completely separately developed a low performance engine. The engine is designed to be cheap and mass-produced, with use only in the Asian region or perhaps South America… This engine and bike are not coming to Europe.”

“It’s a 100% different engine that won’t even be branded Norton. We’ve just licensed the right to use that engine to Zongshen, which will give them Euro 4 compliance. It’s become very important now because to secure trade deals with companies in Europe, these factories need to be homologated – Euro 4 has become the accepted global standard.”

So if the Zongshen engine is different to the Norton mill, what’s the deal with the new Norton?

“Even as far back as five years ago, we knew the superbike would be a V4, so that we could drop the two cylinders and produce a parallel twin,” adds Garner. “That will give us a very current and modern platform to renew the 961. That’s the reason why we made the V4 oversized to 1200cc, rather than the litre platform of our competitors. We can share pistons and just lengthen the stroke for the increased capacity, while they will share the same gearbox, clutch and valve gear.

“The 650 will be the entry-point Norton and will occupy the same space as the Triumph Thruxton or the Ducati Monster. It won’t be a big volume bike, as that’s just not our style, but it will almost certainly be our most popular bike.

“If anything the Zongshen deal has sped up the development of our 650cc motor because there was a strong commercial element to it, so we invested more resource than we would have done had there not been this deal. It’s a 20 year deal too, so going forward we get a royalty for every 650 engine they make and last year they made 4 million engines. It means we now have a stable future for the business that allows us to invest and develop even more models.”

Source link.....http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...-650-zongshen/

So what does this all mean?

Surely Zongshan will Manufacture a new bike for this engine.
    What design it will be, my guess it will be along the lines of an ADV bike again.

The important point is because of the low cost, how bad will the engine be.

On a side note keep your eyes & ears open about CFmoto some very big news will be announced shortly.
    Am I told it will be bigger news than the KTM/CFmoto partnership?
    So that should be big news with some people from MCM menbers daunting what there are told.lol
    Last edited by prince666; 08-09-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #2 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    To be honest, I expected news like this at least five years ago. Somehow, this logical step in C-moto industry development, growing from 200-250 to 500-650 cc's, took too much time to happen.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    I agree with Zorge. 10 years of very slow progress in the c-moto industry. If this were the 60's or 70's, it would be understandable, but it's too easy to make a motorcycle in 2017.

4. #4 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Petrol engines now should really only be minor upgrades, should be looking to alternative fuels, electric being favourite. For example, in the UK & France, from 2040, you won't be able to buy a new petrol or diesel powered vehicle. I know battery technology still needs to improve, it's getting there though, and if the sodium / glass battery works as well as it potentially can, then that might just provide the breakthrough.

5. #5 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    the UK & France, from 2040, you won't be able to buy a new petrol or diesel powered vehicle.
    you can wait and see if this happens? for me, I don't care a shit will be dead by then.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    I almost orgasmed when reading the news, until came that not available in Europe. So, fuck you Europe!

Bunny bun generation has killed reasonable motorcycling in Europe. Novadays motorcycling in Europe is high status show on sunny days. Youths don't drive with 50 cm³ mopeds or 125 cm³ light motorcycles. Them youths drive in 20 000 euro moped cars. Adults drive 20 000 euro HD or 20 000 BMW or 20 000 YaHoSuKa.

When them youths are adults they buy a car, and if they are rich enough, they buy 20 000 euro show bike.

Low cost reasonable budget bikes are killed. RIP.

Well, things are not exactly that bad since there are several well designed 5000 euro work horses from major brands. With those appearing I have been hoping for the renaissance of motorcycling. henceforth this news got me high up and then crushed into pieces. No contribution from Triumph. Thus, in the end, FUCK YOU TRIUMPH

7. #7 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    On a side note keep your eyes & ears open about CFmoto some very big news will be announced shortly.
    Am I told it will be bigger news than the KTM/CFmoto partnership?
    So that should be big news with some people from MCM menbers daunting what there are told.lol
    Wow. Sounds intriguingly! can't wait!

8. #8 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    alright, Norton is a British company, it is a brand 99.9999% of Chinese include wealthy one have never heard of. It's easy to spot the company try to produce a value bike... But, I think they got that wrong. Why not try the opposite. Why the rich buy Harley Division because they know the brand and history and culture behind it? HD is not a motorcycle for them, it is a luxury brand and promote the personal status.
    If Rose Royce and Bentley produced motorcycle, it would replaced HD and well sought to rich Chinese man. There are no other nation like us seek luxury item even that is not meant to consumer the way they meant to.
    Good luck to Norton.
    同志仍需努力

9. #9 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    What happened to their 450? Still waiting on that one in China.

10. #10 Re: Zongshan 650cc bike on the way. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Michael(MJH)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    I almost orgasmed when reading the news, until came that not available in Europe. So, fuck you Europe!

Bunny bun generation has killed reasonable motorcycling in Europe. Novadays motorcycling in Europe is high status show on sunny days. Youths don't drive with 50 cm³ mopeds or 125 cm³ light motorcycles. Them youths drive in 20 000 euro moped cars. Adults drive 20 000 euro HD or 20 000 BMW or 20 000 YaHoSuKa.

When them youths are adults they buy a car, and if they are rich enough, they buy 20 000 euro show bike.

Low cost reasonable budget bikes are killed. RIP.

Well, things are not exactly that bad since there are several well designed 5000 euro work horses from major brands. With those appearing I have been hoping for the renaissance of motorcycling. henceforth this news got me high up and then crushed into pieces. No contribution from Triumph. Thus, in the end, FUCK YOU TRIUMPH

Triumph signed a deal with Bajaj they will be jointly developing mid range models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast