Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hmmm, decisions decisions... Regarding the fuel tanks. I actually just ordered a 3L and 5L one with rotapax style mounting(310 on taobao with clips), then refunded.. obviously on my bike I need to keep weight right down. I'm considering a 7 litre bag..180 yuan. Would be easier to store on the bike when not in use.. Just roll it up.... But I just can't imagine the people at the petrol stations in China agreeing to fill one of these up.

Plus.. Cue advice about my turning into a human fireball... China made.. Safe? Advisable? Does anyone use them? I saw an Aussie guy who crossed the desert there with a 20L similar bag.. But probably a foreign made one..

image.jpg

About the tent, well I found a light back-packer tent in decathalon..999 yuan a two man tent. As I'm traveling in spring/summer should be okay with a decent sleeping bag.

2. #12 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Guru
    To add information to the above.. My plan is to take the North West road from kangding in Sichuan to yushu in Qinghai then probably up via tingri to Xining. My bike only has an eight liter tank from the factory.

3. #13 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Regular
    If you want decent quality camping gear, take a look to Naturehike product line. It's Chinese brand, not bad quality at all. My workmate bought couple of tents and some sleeping bags from them - completely satisfied

4. #14 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    It's really hard to swap tanks from other bikes. Finding the right spacing in all the critical areas is almost impossible. If the tank touches in the wrong place it will wear through. If you're lucky, that means a leak, if you're unlucky, it blows up.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a tent. You can find a decent 3-4 season tent for less than 3000 yuan easily. Crashes happen, and tents get ground up during crashes. Seen it happen more than once. Also seen people lose camping gear to theft or falling off the bike.
    Oh okay, Just saw that the SWM 650 enduro because it is basically the old Husqvarna already has lots of aftermarket parts available..including the 25L safari tank. I wonder if this is true of the 500.

BTW China V- that old forum post you have on here with Felix going up by Panzihua, now that must have a home somewhere else on the web too, no? Very lengthy report and exploratory style trip.

There was another post on here about making a China-style TAT
    http://www.transamtrail.com

or as in Europe the TET
    http://www.transeurotrail.org

Maybe not a strictly off-road link up but a site that pools all the awesome rides in China would be great.

5. #15 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Guru
    About this trip, I'm trying to drum up enthusiasm amongst Shanghai riders to join me going West ..Lol

My blog post.. I'm thinking how much of this "China bucket List" could I tick off in 2018?

https://www.mychinablog.com/where-iv...here-im-going/

6. #16 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by a_steel View Post
    If you want decent quality camping gear, take a look to Naturehike product line. It's Chinese brand, not bad quality at all. My workmate bought couple of tents and some sleeping bags from them - completely satisfied
    Thanks for the tip about Nature Hike. Tents with nice features, lightweight and cheap.

7. #17 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Be careful with Naturehike. Tents seem to be ok as they have recently improved their quality but watch out for the poles. They break easily. Get yourself a set of those lil aluminum pipes that go over a snapped pole.

Under no circumstance buy inflatable pads from Naturehike. Mine leaked air the second time Ive used it and my buddies was leaking from the beginning.

Kailas is a much better brand than Naturehike or at least I have a better experience with them.
    Luxe makes good tents too but a bit more expensive

8. #18 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    BTW China V- that old forum post you have on here with Felix going up by Panzihua, now that must have a home somewhere else on the web too, no? Very lengthy report and exploratory style trip.
    That ride report was posted here and on ADVrider. I think the portions of the trip from Panzihua to Chengdu have probably changed a little in road quality, but some of that stuff was seriously remote and it's difficult to know if the roads improved. If I was still in China, I would get a dual sport with a big tank and explore the shit out of that area.

It's depressing that we never get ride reports from those regions, hell we barely get ride reports from any area.

9. #19 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ride reports from any area.
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...v-riding-71234

Ride safe! PAL

10. #20 Re: Xining- Chongqing 
    hell we barely get ride reports from any area.
    with over 80.000km Motorbike riding all over China just last year, I could post a few RR but I won't??
    Get to pissed off with moderators on here and don't have the time to waste (not you ChinaV).
    So, for now, we will just have to put up with PAL posting link to RR on other sites who just happens to be the same person LOL

Better than nothing.
    Or maybe not?

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...venture-Riding

That was funny now northing....... only happens to nice people

Meet the 2 FACELESS RIDERS heheheh

faceless.jpg
    Last edited by prince666; 01-28-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast