Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi all, I've got my bike packed and heading to Moganshan this eveing/tomorrow from Shanghai...

I wondered if anyone has tips for good trails/scenic parts of the park. Or even where to stay

I'll check out the foreign run Moganshan lodge for some eats as others on here have recommended it. I'm taking a Shineray X2.

Ta.

2. #2 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Hi all, I've got my bike packed and heading to Moganshan this eveing/tomorrow from Shanghai...

I wondered if anyone has tips for good trails/scenic parts of the park. Or even where to stay

I'll check out the foreign run Moganshan lodge for some eats as others on here have recommended it. I'm taking a Shineray X2.

Ta.
    Good luck and have a safe trip.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    And don't forget to charge the battery of your camera

4. #4 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hmmm, it's a beautiful place.

Tips- The lodge is a nice place to get a beer and some food.
    Cheaper accommodation at the foot of the mountain. Seems obvious, but at the top, within the scenic area, it's really highly priced

This trip was marred somewhat by the loss of my number plate. It was there in the morning but was missing at two o'clock after lunch. I stopped in a town and had mala tang. The bike was in a parking space and would have been out of my site for ten or twenty ,minutes. The more I think about it, the more implausible it is that both screws would come undone and the plate would fall out.

This meant I had to arrange a van to take myself and the bike back to Shanghai..

A much bigger problem is that the bike is registered in Beijing.

5. #5 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    I don't know if it's just me thinking this, but it sounds like from your last trip and this one you are the most unlucky guy on MCM.
    Don't take this personal but I will never ride with you.
    I hope you can sort out a new plate.
    But I think the bike with have to go back to Beijing.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Hmmm, it's a beautiful place.

Tips- The lodge is a nice place to get a beer and some food.
    Cheaper accommodation at the foot of the mountain. Seems obvious, but at the top, within the scenic area, it's really highly priced

This trip was marred somewhat by the loss of my number plate. It was there in the morning but was missing at two o'clock after lunch. I stopped in a town and had mala tang. The bike was in a parking space and would have been out of my site for ten or twenty ,minutes. The more I think about it, the more implausible it is that both screws would come undone and the plate would fall out.

This meant I had to arrange a van to take myself and the bike back to Shanghai..

A much bigger problem is that the bike is registered in Beijing.
    Why would you van the bike back to Shanghai? I've been on a bunch of trips where people lost plates and never considered stopping. I always use nyloc nuts and loctite on my plates and usually make a support bracket. I also only use torx fasteners, makes it difficult for a plate theft if they need special tools.

The registration being in Beijing is going to be a pain in the ass, lost plate are no fun do deal with.

7. #7 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Why would you van the bike back to Shanghai? I've been on a bunch of trips where people lost plates and never considered stopping. I always use nyloc nuts and loctite on my plates and usually make a support bracket. I also only use torx fasteners, makes it difficult for a plate theft if they need special tools.

The registration being in Beijing is going to be a pain in the ass, lost plate are no fun do deal with.
    Cos I fnd it stressful enough riding a Jing B plate within Shanghai, without the plate actually being missing. Yes, many Chinese said "no, worries, just ride in at night"

I didn't want to risk losing my license over this, however slim the chance. Obviously , if stopped by the police, you would just show them the blue book and explain that the plate has fallen off. But when you are about to enter an area where the plate is no longer allowed ...

Dunno, for what turned out to be 365 yuan, it was peace of mind.

Anyway, I'd had only four hours sleep.

I thought afterwards that loctite is the best solution.. Never imagined this could happen tbh.

It's devine comedy for me, because I'm so stressed about about riding the bike with the current plate anyway. I avoided a road on the way back that was closed due to repairs with a massive detour through a city and shitty roads.

But I found on the way back that the G302 back into Shanghai prohibits motorcycles. I was pulling off the highway before a police check and found the plate to be missing.

TBH, Ridingf in Shanghai is not matching my dream.. When I saw this bike for sale with a JINGB plate I thought this could work..further down the process I learnt that actually Jing B need to be registered to a Chinese person, cue ex gf helping.

Things a total mess... I can't think of a way of legally owning and riding whilst living in Shanghai.

All the plate issues aside, if one looks at a satellite image of Shanghai and it's conurbations, one sees that the network of strangled roads and urban area extends way out into Zhejiang, nearly to Hangzhou. The ride only becomes pleasant just before Hangzhou- like nine hours riding out of Shanghai.

Back to the drawing board.

I hope this explains my reasons for choosing the van, especially as people (albeit plebs) were telling me that riding without a plate means twelve points on the license. I thought about these comments afterwards and they mean if the bike is unregistered.... I may have been too cautious.

8. #8 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    C-Moto Regular
    I've lost a plate while riding, but luckily the car behind me chased me down and kept honking and told me my plate flew off.

But about riding in Shanghai without proper plating or whatever, if you are prepared to run its ok... if not don't risk it...

9. #9 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    In 1 year I got 36 points driving my car.
    And still have a Chinese DL.
    How .
    Ok let say you passed your test on the 1st January, now the points only get applied to your DL when you pay the fine.
    So let's say I pay on the 31st December and take 10 points.
    On the 1st January the point are cleared so you are back to zero.
    So on the 2nd January I take 10 more point also you can use your wife, girlfriend, or a friend.
    Now I did hear this has been stopped.
    Well it not stopped in Shandong province wife and me took some points each the other week for the same car in her name.
    In SH it could be not so easy.

To make sure you plate never comes off again.
    Use the blots that come with the plate, which normaly are long, then put a nut on the back and then bur over the thread on the back.
    Will never come of and will stop the sicky finger guys from nicking your plate.
    You can use some dould sided tap as well .
    It depend how far you want to go.

10. #10 Re: Moganshan, Zhejiang 
    C-Moto Guru
    [QUOTE=Metalmonkey;86072

But I found on the way back that the G302 back into Shanghai prohibits motorcycles. I was pulling off the highway before a police check and found the plate to be missing.

.[/QUOTE]

Edit.. Was the G320.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast