Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Zongshen 150 water cooled 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello there,

Quick question from a novice...I'm interested in buying a Zongshen dual sport bike...the options in this part of China consist of a water cooled 150cc or an air cooled 200cc. The specs listed on Zongshen's American Website seem to favour the 150....does anyone have an opinion on which would be the better bike? Is water-cooling just one more thing that can go wrong? Or is it a handy feature for a bike which will be expected to put in some pretty hefty mileage?

Thanks in advance

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    In theory water cooling has lots of desired advantages. Running temperatures 30% cooler than air-cooling, close control of temperatures in critical areas like exhaust valves, as the coolant ducts can be made to reach places where air cooling would have difficulty reaching, smaller piston to cylinder clearances by an average of 0.006", bringing the benefits of slighly increased power due to less blow-by of combustion gases down the rings and less mechanical noise, even without the dampening effect of the water jacket.

The problems can come from poor execution of the system. This contains a greater number of components, such as a water pump and its bearings, a thermostat, hoses and their clamps, electric fan and its thermostatic switch, a temperature gauge, the radiator, extra gaskets and seals.

There's also the question of extra maintenance, levels, anti-freeze strength and of course a weight penalty.

All these extra components needn't make the thing more unreliable unless they're of poor quality and then they can be a nightmare.
    I personally see no advantage or need of water cooling for the limited power outputs we're talking about, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by forchetto; 05-10-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

As Forchetto explained, water cooling has some advantages but adds complexity to the system. Lots of us have made outrageous trips on small air cooled engines and been totally happy. I think the general rule of thumb in China is to keep things (and life) as simple as possible. Simple machines are easier and cheaper to fix. If you can live with a 150 then even better because parts are everywhere.

Where are you in China?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Noob
    Thanks guys, advice noted....and a Zongshen 200cc sierra purchased...I'll let you know how she gets on...though I'll wait till i get plates on the bike before i take her out on the road in daylight...Im one of the Wuhan-Clan, let me know if ur passing thru!