Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    I was reading a thread here the other day which I can't find for the life of me..... that was comparing Shanghai and BJ as places to ride and it got me thinking about where I live and the total lack of bike culture here.
    In Ningbo as in many places I gather, bikes are totally banned within the ever expanding city limits. It is rare to see another motorcyclist unless you are at a dealership (there are only two real ones, and the one I use sucks) or out in the mountains. I really miss seeing other bikes around, meeting other riders and generally having bike awesomeness around me everywhere as I would in other countries.
    So, the question I wanted to pose is, are there any bike friendly cities left in China? I have grown tired with Ningbo and am looking for a change next year, so what might be a good option, if we are considering riding/bike culture? Is Chengdu a goer? I liked that place last time I was there and the South West in general. Of course the ultimate destination would be dependant on me finding suitable work.
    What do you think? Opinions?

2. #2 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    The closest thing I ever saw to real "biker culture" was in Beijing. So many different biker types and clubs. I don't know how anyone could possibly debate Shanghai vs Beijing. Shanghai is motorcycle purgatory, Beijing has endless amounts of great riding within 30 minutes of downtown. I will give Shanghai credit over other cities for allowing motorcycles to exist, but the good riding is just too far away. If you can find a job in Yunnan or Sichuan, that would be ideal.

3. #3 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    Jinan (Shandong) isn't too bad. There are kms of mountain roads to the south of the town towards Taian/Taishan. There is a definitely growing bike culture, loads of BMWs etc can be seen on the mountains more so than in the city and you can see club rides often. There is also a culture moving away from stolen in HK bikes to riding fully legal, plated insured bikes with helmets and hi-hiz padded jackets. Some riders are a bit crap in the corners, but standards are improving. Doesn't hurt that Jinan has a motorcycle manufacturing industry with Qingqi/Suzuki/Peugeot.

The mountains aren't mega big, or very extensive, but worth a look on the way past. I think for riding you'd be better off living in Zhejiang, Yunan, Sichuan etc. But it's certainly far better than Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc.

4. #4 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    Rode most provinces now, and Shandong is not on my list of good places to ride in general.
    Rode your area around Ningbo with BikerDoc, yes very nice.
    We did meet up with a few local guys from Ningbo who sometimes ride out.
    I am now just south of Jingdezhen (Jiangxi province ) with some great mountain roads around more than you can ride in 30 days.
    As to other bikers.
    Was at a bike meet in a very small town (Wuyuan), attending I would put the number close to 1000 bikes.

PA070184.jpg

PA070159.jpg

And I was the only western ride.

So the clue is to find some local Chinese clubs, most will welcome you.

Beijing..... Yes, great place to ride.
    You need to move to the west of the city around or near Shimenying.
    From there you are only 10 mins away from some great roads and I mean great.
    located outside the 4th ring road bikes are legal and plating is not an issue.
    Also, ring road 5 bikes are allowed to ride,
    This whole area is a meeting place for riders from all over BJ to meet and ride.
    weekend and holidays 100s ride out to have some fun.
    Have you rode out to Jiande yet ( 1000 island lake area ) the ride out to the lakes is great as well i could post a route.
    I am only 2 hours south of the lakes I could meet you in Jiande to shown you around the area.
    Last edited by prince666; 10-12-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    Few pictures from the area west of Beijing .

OI005076.jpg

OI005013.jpg

OI004881.jpg
    Attached Images
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

After riding a number of years in Beijing I think from northeast mountain area to southwest you can spend lot of time on 300 - 400km rides or overnight trips.
    Now I get more and more to the mix of on road/offroad rides as it expands the possibilities again.
    Behind the mountains the grasslands start and there is endless terrain for offroad riding.
    Rides do that for weekend trip , individual or organized.
    But I still dream about Sichuan, Qinghai, Yunnan, ....

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #7 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    Those are some pretty epic views!!!
    For sure there are clubs here and the roads way out of town are good but most of the clubs that I have seen are a total wank. Its just a dick swinging contest to see who paid the most for their bike. They faff around non stop pissing in each others pockets about how cool they are because they have the biggest/newest/most expensive bike. In a 12 hour outing you get about 3 hours of actual moving time at best. No the local clubs are not my scene. It reminds me of the local supercar scene.
    I have guys that I ride with and thats all fine.
    BUT in town, there is nothing going on. I was wondering if other places had it better off. BJ sounds cool but the winter and the poolution is a turn off.
    As or the 1000 lakes.... no I have't been out there yet. It is on the "to do" list

8. #8 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    The problem WE ALL have is the lack of foreign riders in any given area.
    Totaly agree with riding with Chinese guys that why I rarely ride with them and the ones I do CAN ride and have no need to piss in each other's pockets.
    ShuBen has mention Yaunan and Schiuan which IMO are the 2 best places to ride in China.
    But that said its cold a lot of the time due to the high altitude.
    So maybe look at Hainan.

9. #9 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    Yeah, most Chinese clubs are total wank. Smoke cigarette, talk about how much bike cost...blah blah blah...eat 3 hour lunch make connections. 2 hours riding all day, 20 minutes on the twisties ride like total wobbly squids. Blast along wide straight highway and take unnecessary risks whenever possible to prove ones self. Not for me.

My pick would be T*iwan *province*, certainly ranks up there for cyclists, maybe not really extensive enough for bikers.

10. #10 Re: Best Cities for Bike Culture 
    C-Moto Guru
    This is a cool thread.. Obviously, living in Shanghai, I'm thinking strongly of decamping or looking around China for a more motorcycle friendly place. I'm coming down to Kangding in Sichuan...

But on the topic, I was in Chongqing the other week for the motorcycle expo and it just seemed like the city was awash with motorcycles..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast