Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Police crack down in Shanghai...A question for the group. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Guys,

The latest police crackdown has been associated with 19th Congress.. Everyone thinks that things will slow down after it is over ......I hope so ..but be careful.
    The police are ticketing for almost any infraction. I got hit with 3 points and a 200 RMB fine for using the scooter lane (not the fenced kind but the painted lane)

I have been told that they are ticketing for lane splitting as well. Looks like I won’t be commuting to work on my bike if that is really the case. No way I’m going to be at the mercy of the terrible drivers in Shanghai seeing me and not running into me.

Can anyone confirm that lane-splitting is illegal in Shanghai?

2. #2 Re: Police crack down in Shanghai...A question for the group. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bear-gweilo View Post
    Guys,

The latest police crackdown has been associated with 19th Congress.. Everyone thinks that things will slow down after it is over ......I hope so ..but be careful.
    The police are ticketing for almost any infraction. I got hit with 3 points and a 200 RMB fine for using the scooter lane (not the fenced kind but the painted lane)

I have been told that they are ticketing for lane splitting as well. Looks like I won’t be commuting to work on my bike if that is really the case. No way I’m going to be at the mercy of the terrible drivers in Shanghai seeing me and not running into me.

I have no idea if lane splitting is now an offense in Shanghai, but it would completely suck if true.

The police crackdown in Shanghai is really aggressive though, I use my cage to commute to work daily and the Changning area is absolutely swarming with police every morning, pulling over bikes, e-bikes, trucks, cars, the lot, it’s mental. I’ve got designs on getting a new bike here in Shanghai but perhaps now is not the best time.

3. #3 Re: Police crack down in Shanghai...A question for the group. 
    Banned
    You are "Monkey see monkey do" So stop being a farking monkey and use your bloody head! Bicycle lane as per common law IS NOT an petrol engine vehicle lane huh!
    Did you leave your civilized manners at your country boarder? Or never had any!

Quote Originally Posted by bear-gweilo View Post
    Guys,

4. #4 Re: Police crack down in Shanghai...A question for the group. 
    C-Moto Regular
    I understand the feeling of being "targeted" or waiting at a red light and having a wave of scooters or ebikes move forward while my stupid ass has been waiting for to timer to tick down to 1 for a green light. But I would suggest that you try to keep good habits especially within the Zhong huan and inner. After awhile you will notice there is a lot of locals that are changing thier habits too... Not everything they can ticket you for is in a "rule book" or law texts... if they give you a ticket just take it and learn... the Popo can royally Fcuk with you. Its similar to "dangerous driving" laws in North America... pretty catch all law. if you want to do the short cuts and illegals, you will have to pay the tuition of when you can and cannot do it and where.