Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello MCM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Hello MCM 
    Hello there,

It’s great to be back on this forum, it’s been about 5 years but I’m getting the itch for a new bike and my first port of call was to re-register on here. I always found this place to be a great source of info for all things bike related in China. People on here helped me get through my bike test in Shanghai, and pick out my first China bike. I miss the good old days tearing through Zhejiang and Anji and all the great people I met along the way with common interests.

My name is Daniel, I’m from Sheffield, England and have been living in Shanghai for 10 years. I had a 250 Regal Raptor but sold it after 9 months after some nut job in an SUV tried to run me off the road in Shanghai. My kids have since grown and the horror of that experience has faded somewhat and I’m ready for another bike. For the past few years I’ve entertained myself tuning my Focus ST and hitting the track a lot at Tianma near where I live in Songjiang, but nothing will ever beat those twisty mountain roads with the wind in your face.

So here I am, ready to get as much info as I can before I make my next purchase. I’ve been test riding Harley’s recently, and very nearly financed the new Kawasaki Z650 last week, but I just can’t get over the crazy China taxes, bikes are almost double the prices than in the UK, including tax, insurance, registration etc. The CF Moto 650NK was always high on my wish list but I really like the look of the new KTM 390 Duke. I haven’t seen any KTM dealers in Shanghai but I found an address on a thread on this site earlier, I might give it a go. The Chinese KTM page doesn’t list the 390 Duke, only the 200, and 690 so that’s upsetting. If anyone has any info regarding KTM in China it would be much appreciated.

I apologize for the long winded introduction, but im very happy to be back, and I’ll look forward to seeing you guys around the forum.

Cheers.

2. #2 Re: Hello MCM 
    hi nice to meet you :)
    A moment of choice is a moment of truth.

How about CFmoto 650 NK?
    You get a proven bike for reasonable price.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Or see SWM 440

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #5 Re: Hello MCM 
    So I went with the KTM 390 Duke. Lovely little bike. Can’t wait to get out of Shanghai on it.

6. #6 Re: Hello MCM 
    A happy afternoon picking up the bike at KTM Shanghai.

7. #7 Re: Hello MCM 
    The last pic is the 2017 Duke 390, I bought the 2016. The new version doesn’t arrive in the PRC until next year for some strange reason. Haggled and bought the 2016 for ¥38,000 which I though was reasonable.

8. #8 Re: Hello MCM 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    The last pic is the 2017 Duke 390, I bought the 2016. The new version doesn’t arrive in the PRC until next year for some strange reason. Haggled and bought the 2016 for ¥38,000 which I though was reasonable.
    Hey Daniel, first off welcome back. I have to call you this "Bastard" because for the longest time I've been looking at that bike and had my mind set on it, but this being china and me being in shenzhen I had to forget my dream for a couple of years (need to learn to ride first) I've actually been to foshan where they have a KTM dealer and sat on that bike, WOW it's comfortable and seemed to be the one bike out of hundreds that I sat on and tried that just felt...RIGHT! I'm very jealous but also that bike looks AMAZING and you have to let us all know how it is to ride etc, and I'd hope to see more pics of you out on the road...perhaps even a video or two of your journeys :D

stay classy.

Matt

9. #9 Re: Hello MCM 
    Hey Matt, for sure I’ll be posting ride reports and updates on the bike as I go. I’ve only just broken 250km’s so can’t offer anything other than first impressions just yet.

Its a really small, and light bike but still comfortable for my gangly 6 ft frame, the wife seems farely happy on the back too. The bike has plenty of low end zest to pull away from traffic in busy Shanghai and I’ve had an absolute blast this week booting around the city. It’s a very fun bike, and that’s what it is all about for me.

On the negative side it does heat up quick, and the fan is very noisy. It could be a problem in the hot summer? The levers are cheap too with far too much travel in the clutch, it’s far too light and soft. I’ve also heard a bit of rattling coming from the engine so I’m back at the store this weekend to have everything tightened up and adjusted.

Im hoping to break the engine over the next few weeks and then head out to Moganshan and Anji and the twisties of Zhejiang over my Christmas holiday. I’ve got 3 weeks off and already trip planning.