We seem to have a problem in China, some of the bikes being made in China these days seem pretty exotic compared to what was being made a few years ago, but in terms of availability we have some issues. It seems manufacturers want to crow about their new models, but when it gets serious they can't really register the bikes, especially bigger ones (with the exception of Jialing). Some bikes don't even exist other than being a a photoshop concept!

Does anyone know if this is because the government is fussy about what bikes they allow on to the Chinese market, or because the companies are lazy and don't want to spend money on the Chinese market when they could be shipping bikes overseas?

So maybe it's time for us riders in China to largely forget about who makes what, and compile a list of what bikes can actually be tagged!

Best Chinese made bikes I've ever actually seen with real tags:

Yamaha YBR250
Jialing JH600
Honda CBF150
Zongshen 250
Qingqi 200
Regal Raptor 250cc cruisers and CB250 style. (not water cooled)
CJ750

Any others?

As with the majority of long term residents the last thing I want to do is ride an unregistered bike, if I was going to do that I'd buy a big Jap bike without plates! Not a Chinese bike, which is why I worry, I genuinely like Shineray and Asiawing, but take delivery of one and go to the Gong An to get it registered and be told 'sorry that bike cannot be registered in China' would not be very fun.