Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    We seem to have a problem in China, some of the bikes being made in China these days seem pretty exotic compared to what was being made a few years ago, but in terms of availability we have some issues. It seems manufacturers want to crow about their new models, but when it gets serious they can't really register the bikes, especially bigger ones (with the exception of Jialing). Some bikes don't even exist other than being a a photoshop concept!

Does anyone know if this is because the government is fussy about what bikes they allow on to the Chinese market, or because the companies are lazy and don't want to spend money on the Chinese market when they could be shipping bikes overseas?

So maybe it's time for us riders in China to largely forget about who makes what, and compile a list of what bikes can actually be tagged!

Best Chinese made bikes I've ever actually seen with real tags:

Yamaha YBR250
    Jialing JH600
    Honda CBF150
    Zongshen 250
    Qingqi 200
    Regal Raptor 250cc cruisers and CB250 style. (not water cooled)
    CJ750

Any others?

As with the majority of long term residents the last thing I want to do is ride an unregistered bike, if I was going to do that I'd buy a big Jap bike without plates! Not a Chinese bike, which is why I worry, I genuinely like Shineray and Asiawing, but take delivery of one and go to the Gong An to get it registered and be told 'sorry that bike cannot be registered in China' would not be very fun.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

I was told this motorcycle is available from QingQi in China, but you have to order it from the factory. It can be delivered to your home or a local QingQi dealer for purchase. This is the only model using the new 250 engine that has been approved for domestic sale. I am still trying to verify if, and when, the 250 dualsport/motard versions will be certified.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is because the government is fussy about what bikes they allow on to the Chinese market, or because the companies are lazy and don't want to spend money on the Chinese market when they could be shipping bikes overseas?
    After talking with the folks at QingQi, I think it's mostly related to sales volume. They develop these bikes for export and don't really feel the domestic market has strong enough demand for so many models. It sounded to me like the process for certifying the bikes for local sale is very time consuming, but I couldn't really get any numbers regarding price.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

So the development of this 250cc road bike is complete? I notice the front end is prettier since it was a concept. Have any of the stats changed?

I'll go and find out the price at a local dealers. Bearing in mind that it's considerably heavier than the YBR 250 and less fuel efficient, I hope they don't think a price around 20,000 is reasonable, they'd need to sell at about 10,000-12,000 to tempt anyone away from a YBR, or away from the other 250cc competition.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

As far as I can tell, stats are the same. I was given some brochures, need to scan them sometime.

I don't think you will have much luck at the dealer, probably just a blank stare . I'm trying to work out exactly who to contact at QingQi to arrange a domestic purchase, hopefully we will know later today.

Price wise, I'm guessing above 15K under 20K, and I agree that's a bit high. What is the actual out the door cost for the YBR250?

Cheers
    ChinaV

YBR250 price, it varies obviously, and having a foreign face doesn't help. I've asked at two dealerships locally and both said 23,000 RMB. Also another guy asked down in Jiangsu and he was told 23,000 RMB also.

Also the dealers are networked together, either that or all the dealerships are owned by one guy in this area.

So I'll get nasty and send in a Chinese family member to bully the price down, also talk to the factory possibly if I decide to buy one.

I suspect if you were Chinese you would probably get the bike for 19,000 -22,000 RMB registered after hard fought negotiations!

C-Moto Senior
    I have a Honda Rebel 250 registered in China. Apparently these were available in China at some point. Mine is a 1996 (on another post I said it was a 2003, however, I have since had the registration explained to me). I can't find a single detail different from a Regal Raptor, except mine has spoked wheels instead of fake comstars.

Well the Honda Rebel is really a Honda, and the others are copies, made with less care and lower quality components, rest assured yours will resist the passage of time in better shape!

I was thinking about Chinese made, your Honda sounds like it was imported from Japan in the 90's.

C-Moto Senior
    My Honda has a mix of Honda labelled and Jialing labelled parts. How many Jialing labelled parts are replacements I don't know.

Wow, strange! Maybe Honda had a joint venture with Jialing a very long time ago.

C-Moto Senior
    Still does. Jialing Honda 125's are pretty common around here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast