Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ahh, OK that makes sense, so now Jialing make loads of Honda generators and lawnmowers. http://www.jlhonda.com/

I'd only seen Jialing 125s with Honda stickers on before, thought they were paying kudos!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

C-Moto Senior
    Saw another Rebel here the other day. I have seen enough of them that I am fairly sure they were either produced in China, imported or some combo. I doubt they are anymore, I would guess they would have been 15,000 rmb+ and couldn't compete with the copies.

I have seen enough Suzuki GN250's and GZ250's that they must be made somewhere here too and available.

I have seen some Yamaha Virago 250 copies around made by Lifan. There is also a 90 degree oil cooled (haven't had a good look at it) Chinese produced V-twin 250 (looks like an old VTR engine in a cruiser chassis) I see around very occasionally. You can buy them new at the Shanghai moto market starting at 11,000 RMB.

I've noticed the larger multicylinder Chinese bikes tend to be cruisers. I dislike cruisers but have to admit that the cruiser riding position allows a 6'2" laowai to ride semi comfortably a small bike.

We have a Honda and a Suzuki dealership up here.They only sell the 125 road bikes though. I wondered if they where made here or in Japan?

I asked the Honda dealer if he could get other models of Honda's like a trail bike.

He said they don't make any.

Maybe something was lost in translation on that one.

Yeah don't make them! Jeez, I hear BS like that from Chinese mechanics and dealerships. If I go to the average dealership my knowledge of what the company makes is FAR superior to the workers on the shop floor!

All the bikes are made in China by the joint venture companies, but you do occasionally see the odd Jap imported scooter for twice as much.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

C-Moto Senior
    At the Shanghai moto market there is a dealer selling Chinese copies of these.

The pic is of a Honda Magna 250. If the Chinese copies have the same specs, it makes 29 hp, pretty damn good for a 250. Liquid cooled as well.

Oh yeah, seen that! Yhe copy bike is a Kymco, called Venox 250 AFI. It's powerful because it's fuel injected!

C-Moto Senior
    Actually the Kymco is from Taiwan. The ones I saw at the Moto market were mainland chinese, but the name escapes me. Carbs, 90 degree v twin and even solid wheels. Perfect copy of a Honda Magna 250.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
    but the name escapes me. Carbs, 90 degree v twin and even solid wheels. Perfect copy of a Honda Magna 250.
    Chunlan

I believe the tooling was transferred by Honda to Chunlan.
    Chunlan is quite a large manufacturerm bikes, trucks, aircon etc.

http://www.chunlan.com/en/

C-Moto Guru
    Unfortunately the bikes we saw are not on that web site. They were nice looking V twins, starting at 10,000 Rmb. Would like to know more about them if anyone has experience with those particular bikes.

10. #20 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Going back to the original topic, i'm also looking for a bike which can be legally registered in China. I live in Shanghai so need something that can be ridden downtown problem free. I'm not a fan of cruisers or dirt bikes, i'm specifically looking for a street or sports bike. I've limited my options so far to:

Yamaha YBR250
    Regal Raptor NAC25
    Regal Raptor DD250G-2

I just read on this site that you can register the JH600 in Shanghai! Are there any other options for >250cc that can be registered in Shanghai? Apart from of course the Harley, BMW, Ducati route which would burn a substantial hole in my pocket.

Also, would appreciate any other options out there for the type of bike i'm interested in and details of how to get hold of one.

Is buying second hand and registering using the proper channels an option? Everything i've read on this forum seems to be about registering new bikes.

Just had my Madass 125 stolen after 3 years of riding without plates. Now want to go bigger and register properly. Already have my Chinese bike license at least!

Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast