Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Just had a look at the Qinqi QM200-2D which also seems like a decent option. Any advice?

2. #22 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Having not ridden any of those bike, i'm not sure my advice is worth much. However the general concensus seems to be that the YBR250 is propbably the best sub-250cc bike avalable legally in china, if money is not object. Remember it costs about twice what the other bikes you listed are worth. It is apparently very reliable though, which puts it in a different class from the other bikes.

As for registering a 2nd hand bike, i guess in theory it should have been registered by the previous owner. If it was, make sure it comes with the little blue book and the big green book. If it wasn't, the previous owner will need to still have the fapiao at least, but i'm not too sure about how it would all work. Sounds like a head-ache and a half!

3. #23 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Nothing wrong with the QM200, based on Suzuki DR200 technology. Starting to look a little outdated compared to some of the other bikes out there.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #24 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    TOE,

don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like to know more about bigger-bore registration here in shanghai, though i suppose I've pretty much shot my wad on that topic already. There are several more expats in the process of buying the JH600 right now, so we'll probably find more and more ways to skin the proverbial cat. But rest assured, it definitely is now legal to register as an expat.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Registering in downtown Shanghai? 30,000+ for the plate isn't it?

I've got a Regal Raptor DD250G, I wouldn't buy one to put 30,000 RMB of plates on! Get the YBR for that. What separates a Regal Raptor from a Honda CB250 is component quality, this is an issue. But the big is issue is the factory assembly. Regal Raptor certainly haven't got this right on their street bikes. If you are mechanically minded or have a friend who is, buy a bike and using a bucket of grease, rubber matting, torque wrenches, threadlock and oh with maybe a pressure vessel capable welder friend at hand and strip the entire bike and put it together properly. You'll also need to fix the exhaust from new.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #26 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Just want to add and remind the OP that two note-worthy considerations should include CFMoto (see their website www.cfmoto.com ) for the new Jetmax 250cc scooter. before you dismiss it, please go read my post under scooters... because the Jetmax has a top-end of 140km/h and gets up there pretty darn quickly. I'll be taking delivery of mine this coming weekend. Reading my scooter posts you'll find I've owned a few scooters including a 250cc CFMoto before, and you'll also see why I think scooters are great rides for and in China. Also CFMoto will have a 650cc road bike on sale at years end, and it'll be available both internationally and domestically. See my relevant posts on that subject... too
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-23-2010 at 03:04 PM.

7. #27 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Ok, slightly off topic and I shall be careful because it is easy to upset folks without intending that - BUT how the hell do you corner on those scoot thing? I have ridden and fallen off a number of the original Lambrettas and Vespas in pub car parks over the years (fortunately belonging to friends and maybe a little under the weather myself at the time) and I am happy to blame that on myself not learning the art! Has design changed or was I always just leaning to far on those little wheels? Is it just a learning curve? Can you 'ruggedise' them for off road? Serious question that. Otherwise they seem to be very practical and smart machinery that I sort of want one of!

8. #28 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    I dont' want to dis anyone's opinion but just say my opinion. At least for me looks really doesn't matter except (unfortunately) when I am buying a bike. But after I have got used to the bike it is a workhorse for me, whose purpose is to get me anywhere and back without issues. By then the less it have ding dong the better it looks and I could not care less does it look old or new. If the bike looks clean and not broken and if there is not stupid stuff to be seen, then it looks damn good and I am very happy to mount on it.

9. #29 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    For BEIJING riders ... a city that is not exactly motorcycle-registration-friendly ...

Just yesterday, I have managed to get the FULL list of ALL motorcycles that are currently permissible for registration in Beijing. It is several MS Word documents that I have zipped into a file (about 500K), and it is in Chinese. If you send me a PM with your email address, I will send it to you. It is rather confusing, but you might find your proposed bike on it (or not). I think MS Word has a search function.

Is there some way I can put the zip file on this website?

NOTE: this is ONLY for Beijing. Each city, province, whatever, has different rules. Good luck trying to figure them out.

I may buy a JH600 but I wanted to make sure that it was able to be registered in this city with a "京A" plate. In fact, it is, although the sidecar version (JH600B) is not.

The Galaxy XTR250 was another consideration of mine, but it is not on the Beijing list. I spoke with the factory and it said it could arrange an adjacent province's registration (where it is approved)

Now, here's a Beijing kicker ... there is a new law in Beijing effective July 1, 2010. All new registrations will only be permitted for bikes that meet the new Level 3 emissions criterion. I have no idea what chaos this will create, but TIC (This Is China).

You cannot imagine what a hassle it was getting these lists.

10. #30 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If I was going for the cheaper option, which would be a better option QM200 or Regal Raptor DD250G? and why?

Also, is the JH600 the ONLY big Chinese bike that you can register?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast