Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Have a look at m review of the DD250G-2.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...aptor-DD250G-2
    The DD250G-2; in short a good bike, but poorly bolted together, with some very so-so components, but the engine does produce 14KW, being a reverse engineered Honda CMX250 rebel powerplant. The QM200 produces 11.3KW. Certainly the Qingqi with its Suzuki connections will be better bolted together. Also don't overlook the Honda CBF150, which at 8.8KW is a bit lower on power, but its light, fun to ride and very reliable. At the moment I have a CBF150 and a DD250G-2, and I'm torn between which one to sell.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #32 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orient Express View Post
    If I was going for the cheaper option, which would be a better option QM200 or Regal Raptor DD250G? and why?
    Also, is the JH600 the ONLY big Chinese bike that you can register?
    Towards the end of 2010 CFMoto (Chun Feng) will be releasing a 650 twin (road) motorcycle both to the domestic and international markets. However as of now, only the Jia Ling JH600 is the biggest (mid-size) Chinese motorcycle that can be registered in PRC with the caviet that registration/licensing applies only in cities/towns/areas that allow motorcycles.

3. #33 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    For BEIJING riders ... a city that is not exactly motorcycle-registration-friendly ...

Now, here's a Beijing kicker ... there is a new law in Beijing effective July 1, 2010. All new registrations will only be permitted for bikes that meet the new Level 3 emissions criterion. I have no idea what chaos this will create, but TIC (This Is China).
    ** Update **

Well, I bought a JH600 - it is here in Beijing. BUT, getting the thing registered has been, shall we say, pure H3LL

So, right now in Beijing, there is a lot of confusion about the July 1 emissions / registrations. Nobody really knows what is going on, nor does anyone appear to know when they will know something.

My JH600 was built / purchased before July 1 (well, technically no, but I now have paperwork that says it is true). So, for bikes built / purchased BEFORE July 1, 2010, you have one month (i.e., the month of July) to register it with a Jing A plate (and all the bureaucracy that entails).

For bikes built / purchased AFTER July 1 (e.g., now), you are in the land of limbo. The real confusing question appears to be "which bikes are on the China 3 Emissions list and which are not?" The existing lists (see my earlier post) are now out-of-date. But nobody knows when / how, new lists will be forthcoming. I stopped by a MC dealer yesterday who sells numerous approved Chinese bikes "on the list" and he said that NO bike can now be registered with a Jing A plate. They tried to register a few bikes on the list and were turned away. They have no idea when / how it will change.

For bikes built before July 1, sold after July 1 ... welcome to H3LL. Hopefully, the factory/dealer will like you and issue you a "genuine" fapiao with a pre-July 1 purchase date. If not, you've apparently fallen between the bureaucratic cracks from where there is no escape.

Anyways, fingers crossed, my JH600 should have shiny new Jing A plates later this week.

4. #34 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Lao Jia Hou,

Sounds like an awful predicament. Imagine buying a legal product, then being treated like a criminal for trying to comply with the law in its use. No, you don't have to imagine this: It's precisely what you are undergoing. Hopefully these bleeding bureaucrats will come to their senses.

The situation here in Shanghai seems less onerous with respect to the 1 July emissions restrictions, though I heard today about a different but equally laughable problem. A JH600 buyer presented himself at the vehicle registration office but was turned away because the passport number on his Jialing sales receipt (a tax bureau fapiao) differed from the passport number in his passport by one digit. His passport number has 8 digits, but the computers in Jialing's tax bureau will only accept ID numbers of 9 digits or more. So they simply added a zero at the beginning or end of the number. Of course this meant it no longer matched his actual passport number. Efforts are being made by Jialing to persuade the tax bureau to reissue the fapiao with the correct 8-digit number, but the answer of course is that universal Chinese answer to all situations that fall outside the expected: 没办法 i.e. "mei banfa" or "it cannot be done". 没办法 usually does not actually mean something cannot be done; it just means that it's too much trouble to bother, so you have to pluck up your reserves and apply pressure. This now is being done on behalf of this buyer.

So, Rule No. 1 for buying a motorcycle in China: Do not hail from a small country whose passports have 8 or fewer digits in them. It may be less trouble to change your nationality, or perhaps apply for a new passport.

"I'd like a new passport, but the number must have 9 digits or more."
    "Nine digits? But why?"
    "So I can register my motorcycle in China."
    "Oh, but of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

As bikerdoc, or is it lao jia hou, or ChinaV, or chinabiker, is fond of saying, TIC. (This is China.)
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #35 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Lao Jia Hou,

I bought and registered my JH600 last month here in Nanjing. Had to go thru the Nanjing auction to buy the plates. I was told same thing but my wife would not take no for an answer. We ended up registering it in her name as she is local. I now have plates and I am completely legal here in Nanjing. I only tell you so you do not give up. I have not had much time to ride since I got the bike but when I have found time to ride it, I really like it and mine still has not had anything done to it. I hope you enjoy yours too. Good luck.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #36 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    So, Rule No. 1 for buying a motorcycle in China: Do not hail from a small country whose passports have 8 or fewer digits in them. It may be less trouble to change your nationality, or perhaps apply for a new passport.
    OMG! My Canadian passport is 8 digits (BIG country, small population).

Please, oh please, oh please ... great gods of Beijing ... permit your humble servant a simple registration!

7. #37 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    OMG! My Canadian passport is 8 digits (BIG country, small population).
    Please, oh please, oh please ... great gods of Beijing ... permit your humble servant a simple registration!
    No, thats N....O.... NO, oh wait there's no, no in the Chinese language, as there is also just as likely no kNOw either LOL...

8. #38 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    Lao Jia Hou, 老家伙,哈哈,the name itself just too funny, hehe.
    The government fear crime done in motorbike(agile, fast) and horrible traffic accident, they limit the registrable bike to 250cc. But more people demand for more powerful bike now (just see how much profit smuggling sell undocumented bike, there is a whole town in Hai Lu Feng doing that business), and bike community is going strong, the government are likely reconsider motorcycle industry, that's when good stuff more to come.

9. #39 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    ** Update **

Well, I bought a JH600 - it is here in Beijing. BUT, getting the thing registered has been, shall we say, pure H3LL

Anyways, fingers crossed, my JH600 should have shiny new Jing A plates later this week.
    ** Update # 2 **

Bloody H3LL.

OK, my passport number passed. The JH600 passed. What failed was my visa duration!

My Canadian passport expires next year, so to have the clear 6 months before expiration, I only have a 6 month "F" visa right now. Visa valid from June 12 to December 10 (180 days). The balance of my passport is filled with consecutive visas for YEARS. I own other vehicles, registered in my name. Married, own property, residence permit, etc, etc, etc ...

Well, the nice lady at the Traffic Management Bureau said ... "Your visa isn't 6 months. It needs to be from June 12 to December 12. If it was December 11, maybe we could have made an exception."

NO amount of rational logic or argument helped. The ONLY thing that helped was my lovely Chinese wife ... we registered it in her name. We'll transfer it to mine after I renew my passport (5 years) and get a new 1 year visa.

Oh, my six year driving license is up for renewal soon, so we asked if I could get a 10 year license ... and the nice lady said ... yup, no problem, because you only need a 3 month visa. OMG, I am going crazy with the logic.

Rules, rules & more rules.

Anyways ... rumours at the Traffic Management Branch are that it will be August 1, 2010 when the new list of "approved bikes" comes out. Folks, get your visas in order!

Grrrrrr.

10. #40 Re: Avialable Chinese Bikes vs actually registerable! 
    What a circus, I can't believe you tried logic...like that has ever worked here

My license expires in September and my Visa renewal is October...looks like I will be driving for a month without a license... better yet, I bet they make me re-aply and re-test because it will be expired when I get my new visa.

You know the reason traffic is so bad in China is because half the country is bouncing around between government departments trying to get shit done.

Ah the joy of bureaucracy.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast