Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Looking for clutch info 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am wondering what other clutches fit the Honda copy 253FMM engine. I know it's basically the same as the 244FMI and many parts are interchangeable but I want to fit a six spring clutch to my engine. I have seen pictures of clutches for CG and others that look like they would fit but I don't know for sure.

I am doing a bit of experimental work on my engines and have already made a 205cc engine by fitting YX140 pistons in a shortened 253 barrel to a Jinlun 244FMI bottom end, using an AJS Regal Raptor 125 head for higher compression and it works very well. On that engine I also converted the standard Jinlun 180 degree crank to a 360 crank for single carb use. Now I am wanting a much stronger clutch than the normal 4 spring one found on most of these Honda twin clones. Can I just put the internal bits of for instance a CG250 clutch into my standard clutch basket?

2. #2 Re: Looking for clutch info 
    Chinese street terms 253 = CA250 (Rebel) / 244 = CBT125 (CB125T)
    # of fraction plate is different btw them
    https://www.impex-jp.com/catalogs/moto/honda.html tells it all.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-31-2017 at 10:48 PM.

3. #3 Re: Looking for clutch info 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Initially that is true, but different clutches can also be fitted to different engines so long as the splines on the gearshafts are the same or you change gearboxes.

For instance I have made an engine using parts for a 253FMM Quadzilla quadbike engine, some parts from a DD125E AJS engine and a Jinlin 125 engine and I can use the gearshafts from the 244FMI in the 253 engine and then the 244 clutch fits but they only have five clutch plates. In a pinch this works OK but it is not ideal as the 253 engine really needs six plates due to the more power and I sometimes pull a trailer with my bike so I really need a heavy duty clutch such as one found on a quadbike.

I have seen pictures of a Bashan 200 quadebike clutch that looks very promising, with six plates and six springs. This would be an ideal heavy duty clutch if it fits on the 244 gearshaft or if the internal parts could be used in the Jinlun outer clutch basket. I will check into doing this. I have found that a lot of different parts from different Chinese bikes are interchangeable. I have already built a 205cc engine using 244 and 253 parts with YX140 pitbike pistons and it runs very well, so I think I should be able to make a heavy duty clutch by combining parts from different sources.

4. #4 Re: Looking for clutch info 
    Something for freight trike http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=525536515493 ?!
    加硬 (add hard) that had 20CrMnTi springs 加寬 (add width) Oversize plates ie. It's a 83mm *** the regular = 91mm ***

5. #5 Re: Looking for clutch info 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yes this is the sort of information I'm looking for! I will check into it.