Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I have a huge list of to-do's and modifications, so I will be dumping a lot of pics and random comments over the next few days. I've been hitting the bike markets for farkles, and QingQi for maintenance specs, so let's get started.

If something is specific to the QM250, I will point it out, otherwise, most of this stuff is compatible with the QM200 family (motard/dual-sport).

If you do a lot of off-road riding, you will probably be happy with the stock metal foot-pegs, otherwise, I would highly recommend replacing them with rubber mounted pegs. The vibration difference is quite noticeable, especially if you ride any kind of distance at higher speeds. I found these in the Guangzhou bike market, inexpensive and effective.

The stock passenger hand rails look good, but are useless when you need to carry something. You can add the rear rack, OEM from QingQi.

The rack should be simple to mount up, but both of the OEM units I purchased were less than perfect. I few extra washers and spacers and all was well, but I've seen better quality on other racks I purchased from QQ in the past. You can see that it's a little "tweaked".

Pretty wide tolerance, I added spacers rather than stressing the welds on the rack.

Installed and ready for (ab)use.

The stock handlebar position was just too low for me, hands were numb after thirty minutes. I couldn't find a good set of bars with the right combination of height and width, so I grabbed a couple sets of bar risers to experiment. These are 5 CM (1.5 inches) and work fine with the stock cables.

I mentioned earlier that the rear sprocket is a 520/43T, I wanted to check the front and found it's a 520/15T. The outside cover is a bit different than the QM200, but it still has those annoying little 7mm bolts (should be 8mm like the other covers).

OEM 520/15T Front Sprocket

This is a very high quality rubber damped unit that is a rare find on most Chinese bikes.

The Mikuni carburetor is a little different than the QM200, notice the new choke lever and the push-pull throttle linkage has been replaced with a single pull-type.

That's all for now. The new dual-sport rims and tires (21" & 18") just arrived so I'm off to the garage for more wrenching.... stay tuned.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Hmmm, I wonder when someone will offer that rack to us Yanks. I've been thinking about switching out my pegs too.

All in due time Dave! Those pegs do look comfy though... wonder if they're sourced to the Western half.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    All in due time Dave! Those pegs do look comfy though... wonder if they're sourced to the Western half.

CC
    And they're spring loaded too.

I need more sleep. chromedioxide's Avatar
    I just shot qlink a email to see if they'll be carrying it.

I'll let you know if/when they get back to me.

6. #26 In addition to the brake disc appears that the new rear hub received a Cush drive. 
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

You are correct Luis Carlos, the rear hub is much improved over the one I had on my QM200 dual-sport. I will be making a big post in the next day or so on the wheels. I have the stock 17" motard as well as the 18"/21" dual-sport out in the garage. I also purchased some nice aluminum rims today to replace the heavy steel ones QingQi uses.

Should be "wheely" fun

Cheers!
    ChinaV

I need more sleep. chromedioxide's Avatar
    Well qlink got back to me and said "For 250, we are still doing test with Qingqi. So far we don’t think it’s ready to sell yet. But we will definitely keep eye on that."

I take that means EPA/Kalifornistan emissions approval, maybe in 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by chromedioxide View Post
    Well qlink got back to me and said "For 250, we are still doing test with Qingqi. So far we don’t think it’s ready to sell yet. But we will definitely keep eye on that."
    I wonder how many of these are out in the field being tested and I wonder what "so far we don’t think it’s ready to sell yet" really means? Maybe I will find out in the next couple thousand kilometers

The bike has been thoroughly stripped down and I did the first valve adjustment today. I was given specs of .05 ~.07 intake and exhaust. Both were a bit on the loose side at .09 so after adjusting them to .06 we will see if they move after another 1000K.

Now that I've had a good chance to go through the bike from top to bottom, it's pretty clear most of the chassis and suspension is identical to other QM200 models. When I first saw pictures of the QM250, I thought they had simply bolted a larger head to the current QM200. Although it does look similar, closer inspection shows a very different motor.

Here's a picture of the older QM200 engine. Left side has a cam chain tensioner and no spark plug.

On the new QM250 engine, the cam chain and spark plug are now switched, but the stator and clutch remain in the same positions.

The bike came standard with an NGK DR8EA spark plug. Mine was a bit white, which confirms my suspicion the bike runs a little lean, probably for emissions.

Right hand side view.

There is nothing radical here as far as engine design goes, it seems a bit uneventful compared to the liquid cooled models coming out of other Chinese manufacturers, but the simplicity of the QingQi may prove more appealing to some. Pretty much any mechanic throughout the world will feel right at home with the single cylinder, air cooled, carburated engine.

Still have a lot more to do, but (as usual ) I'm waiting for parts.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Great writing and photos as usual ChinaV! Any plans to see how it does on multiple day trips? Also, have you noticed a weight difference in the bike with the new engine?

Also, there something missing from this picture?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast