Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 ChinaV's new MCM QingQi 250!!! 
    Here is OUR new QM250. What do you want to know? What shall we do to it? Be patient.... I'm going riding with chinabiker in BJ and this will be sitting in my garage when I return, two weeks from today.

Here is what I know after visiting Jiangmen Qingqi Huanan Motorcycle Co.,LTD in Guangdong today. This is the QM250GY-B[ASD] which will slowly be making its way to dealers throughout the world in 2009. Buy one today? I doubt it. End of summer? Maybe. Late fall most likely.

Maybe its not in your garage, but we have one, so let's get started. Ask whatever you want and I will do my best to cover it.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

HOLY CRAP IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED??!?!?

Great news indeed! What are your general impressions of it so far? Any saddle time?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Very nice!! We shall all live vicariously through you, until we can get hold of one (as well as the CPI 250 motard, and Shineray 250 motard, etc). I wonder if Qlink will sell these, or will that cut into their 250 Magelli sales? If we can't get hold of one in the US, I guess I will keep after the Puzey/Pitster Pro XTR 250 motard that I can get hold of here.

I need more sleep. chromedioxide's Avatar
    Any stats published on it yet? hp? weight? etc? >>insert drool here<<

Frame doesn't look much different from this angle, whereas most of the new 250's I've been looking at have a much more massive "cage" for the motor.
    As was asked just above, any specs on it yet? And which motor is that?

Seer

Look in the QingQi section fellas...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423

CC

7. #7 Re: ChinaV's new MCM QingQi 250!!! 
    Looks like a good deal for a Chinese bike, but I have a coupla questions.
    The seat reminds me of a motocross bike seat for one rider. Can a seat be bought in China for that to fit two riders comfortably?

Can panniers be bought in China to fit that bike?

With me and my wife and panniers on that bike, I recon a realistic load of near 400 pounds. Can that bike be resprung in China for a 400 pound load?

Finally, what about that Asiawing 450? I haven't seen any ride reports on that. Is it out yet?

8. #8 Re: ChinaV's new MCM QingQi 250!!! 
    Zorge,

It looks like the Sprint Pulser had different plastic... looks more rounded and space-age.

FlyingTiger,

Saddles on these thing usually can be customized on your own. Chances of the company producing a longer saddle are slim to none since there's only so much space in the design.

Regarding panniers, you're luck to get a rack on a bike like that. Soft bags may do though.

Smell around the site for Asiawing 450 news.

CC

9. #9 Re: ChinaV's new MCM QingQi 250!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post

Smell around the site for Asiawing 450 news.

CC
    Found this today--wonder if they actually have it....

http://www.bandit-motorsports.com/db...irt-bike.html#

10. #10 Re: ChinaV's new MCM QingQi 250!!! 
    Been a while since I posted an update on the QM250, the Galaxy XTR has been taking up a lot of my time and I had a slight failure which resulted in some down time. I held off on posting about it because I wanted to see how QingQi would handle the incident.

Rolling along one sunny afternoon I started to hear a bit of tapping from the engine. I headed back home to the garage, let the bike cool down, and did a quick check of the valves to see what might be up. Intake was fine, but the exhaust was way out. I put it back in spec and within a few minutes it was tapping again . I decided to pull the cam cover off and inspect the top end.

It didn't look good. For some reason, the top end was starved for oil and most of the parts were pretty cooked.

I fired off an email to QingQi with all the details. They were as surprised as I was and asked me to dig deeper into the oil pump to look for clues. So off with the side cover to get a better look, the oil pump system is hidden behind the clutch.

The first thing I did was look back through my old photos of the QM200 as I remembered the oil pump was driven with a metal gear directly off the crank.

The new system of the QM250 uses the same Mikuni oil pump as the QM200, but it's driven from the back of the clutch. The gear is made of a very lightweight "plastic" material. It looks like a PA66 resin, but it could also be Stanyl. Manufacturers use this type of gear to reduce weight, cost and noise. Under most circumstances I think the gears would be fine, but I remember the 87-99 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 had some issues with the same type of gear. Mine looked OK, but I then noticed some small plastic shavings in the oil.

On the back of the clutch, the gear in the middle was not making good contact with the plastic gear.

Over time, the plastic was slowly shaved off and eventually the gear was barely making contact. I tried to rotate it with my finger, sometimes they would catch and sometimes it would slip. Here you can see the damage inflicted on the plastic.

Again I fired off an email to QingQi with my opinion of the problem. They felt it best to send the engine back to Jinan for further evaluation and I agreed. A few days later I received a call confirming my findings. They asked if I wanted to rebuild the motor or wait for a new one. New sounded good, but it would be a few weeks to make that happen so I put the project on the back burner. Although I was disappointed with the failure, there is no way I would say it's indicative of a major problem with the QM250. The bike is not yet in serial production and mine is one of the very first QM250's QingQi built for testing and showcasing. I personally saw test bikes sporting this motor in Jinan with well over twenty thousand kilometers, so in my case it could have just been bad luck. Time will tell, as I obviously will be checking the wear on this gear in the new engine.

A few weeks passed and eventually a big box arrived at my office. I opened it up and pulled out the new motor. The folks at QingQi made sure everything from the carb clamp to the sprocket was already in place and ready for a quick install. Here it is before getting started.

Everything set up, this should be easy, right?

The difficult part is getting the frame and swing arm pivot to line up here.

An extra set of hands would make it pretty easy, but I managed to finally get it in using the lift and my car jack to raise the rear swing arm. A little swearing helped as well.

Once you get the first bolt in, the rest is pretty easy. I marked the frame mounting areas with letters and the various screws with numbers. A&D are the main load points for the engine followed by B&C. Letter E is just there to protect the bottom of the engine and provides mounting for the skid plate.

And here is a view from the other side

Once the engine was in, everything else was pretty easy and it only took about an hour to get the rest of the parts back on. The bike really is a joy to work on because it's so simple and doesn't require any special tools. All things said, I'm glad I went through this as it's always nice to learn a little more about your bike, could come in handy out there in the wild .

Sometimes, bad things happen to good motorcycles. In this case, I really think the people at QingQi deserve a bit of praise for the way they handled the situation. They asked how I wanted the issue resolved and allowed me to decide on how to proceed. I chose to do my own labor and some extra goodies were shipped with the engine to compensate for my time and effort. Although it did take some time, they delivered on everything that was promised and I'm happily motoring down the road again. Thanks QingQi (specifically mister j)

Oh... and about those goodies... looking pretty good as a dual sport (new shock and 21" / 18" wheels)

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast