Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I will be meeting up with ChinaV this evening and hope I will get to test ride his new baby in Nankunshan this weekend. May be I will even shot a short video clip of the test ride too.

Mmmmmm sounds motographically delicious! Would like to hear your impression of the bike!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Well... I done did ride the little 250cc Qingqi on the weekend. I was quite impressed with the little thing. The colour damaged my one good retina pretty badly but the good thing about that is I didn't have to look at it while I was riding it.

First thing is first, let's make this 100% clear. I''m not sure how much the factory got right and how much difference was made with ChinaV's OCD inspired modifications.

I was never a big fan of the QM200. The seat was brutal and the vibrations were horrific, my hands and ass (Franki really loves my ass) would be numb after 30 minuts of riding. This wonderful feeling was once more introduced to me on my ride home from picking up the Carl/ ChinaV/ Brice bike.

The suspension was decent, but I thought what good is decent suspension if you don't want to ride the bike for a long period of time. I also found the engine to be a little bit underwhelming and changing gears wasn't quite as smooth as it should be. My general concensus of the bike is it was more of a dirtbike with lights than a bike with real touring potential.

That being said out of the 6 QM200s I did have the good fortune to ride only one was close to new. I don't look at this as a down side for a road test becaus I was actually lucky enough to see how the bikes had held up over time. And aside from some rusted bolts, exhaust pipes and worn out and more uncomfortable seats, I have to say the bike held up pretty well.

Ok now onto the brand new, retina burning QM250 moTARD. The engine was much nicer than the 200. Which for me was big surprise. When I heard ChinaV told me he saw it on a bench dyno putting out a monsterous 22hp I was purdy damn surpriseed. When I hopped on the lil'bastard and hit the gas I was met with a spirited reply from the engine. It was responsive and had the kick of some mild Chinese baijiu. This thing was quick for a China bike. Those horrific vibration that left my hands numb many a night, were gone too and the balance and pep of the lil orange pee stain was superb. The taller Motard seat also kept my ass from falling asleep. The bike, aside from the colour seems like a winner.

After th quick test I decided we decided to get on the road and head up Nan Kun Shan for a night of fun with the boys and girls from Guangzhou's motoF club. We screwed on an Adlo box, stuffed my camera gear in it and plunked my wife on the backseat. Let's be serious, many people who browse this forum think about riding around China or other parts of the world 2up on these mean ass China machines. So, many people will wonder if it has the balls to play with the big boys as a tourer / people carrier. At road speed with the 2 of us on the bike and the loaded top box we hit a max GPS verified speed of 115 kmph and felt like it had the nuts to cruise all day anywhere in the 95-105 range. Up the mountain the bike was light an nimble and fun to ride. The only real problem I encountered on the trip was a cooked back brake disk, ChinaV had previously told me that they were changing the back brake system and now I think we know why. After about 5-6 normal mountain applications stops the rear brake was useless and I was forced to come down the mountain 2up in 2nd gear with only the front brake.

Aside from that one little, but dangerous hick-up there was nothing bad to report. The bike is defiantly a big step forward and I hope is an indication that these Chinese bike builders are finally getting the act together. With a new paint job, ChinaV's handlebar/ anti vibration mods and a new rear brake the bike will become many a China bike lover's new centerfold. The bike has come a long way from where it first started and that, I must say is a great step forward for Qingqi and the China bike industry.
    Last edited by Supersignet; 07-05-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Hopefully Franki will be along to add a few thoughts as well. After prying it out of Supersigs hands, he was also able to put about 100 kilometers on it. Say what you want about the bright orange color, but standing next to an entire parking lot full of exotic Japanese and Italian machinery, the QingQi was one of the most talked about bikes during our weekend adventure.

I did a three day trip up to Jinan to visit with the good folks at QingQi and we spent many hours reviewing the differences between the old QM200 and new QM250. I don't have a lot of photos to share because most places are off limits to cameras and we already have a great report on the QingQi factory from CrazyCarl.

I spend hundreds of hours per year auditing manufacturing facilities and I came away very impressed with the quality and process control systems at QingQi. This is not some rinky dink outfit slapping together random components, they have millions invested in R&D and testing facilities and you can see they are deeply committed to being a major player in the motorcycle industry. Their technology approach may be a little slower than some of the more radical factories like Shineray and Galaxie, but they have a solid roadmap for introducing larger displacement engines with more advanced features over the next five years.

There's a huge order of parts being put together at QQ, so we still have a lot of playing around to do in the upcoming weeks. As I mentioned before, the 200 and 250 share a lot of common ground, but I can finally confirm that you're not going to get a 250 motor and put it in your 200, the frame dimensions are very different.

More to come....

Cheers!
    ChinaV

China v Hello! I do not know and make my question.
    I would like to know about your experience with the bike with the wheel in lower seems that the fork is the most straight angle.
    You felt some difficulties in piloting the biker?
    With a larger wheel in front improves stability?
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

Hello Luis Carlos,

I like the current 17" wheel on the front for road riding, but I would prefer a 21" knobby if I was going to ride in the dirt a lot. The angle of the forks give the bike a very solid feel in the corners. The bike is pretty light and the suspension does a good job dealing with the bumps on bad roads. The more I ride it, the more impressed I am with its handling.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

I like the wheel 17 in front and wanted a highest fork
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

A problem that has presented 200gy here in Brazil and lock the rear shock broke swigarm (lack of gas) I think it should strengthen by security.
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

Here I am
    Though I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, when it comes to Chinese made bikes, my experience only extends to JH600 (over 30,000km). So I guess I am the greenest hand here. I can't compare the new QQ250 with other 250 or 200cc models. All I can tell is my comparison with other Japanese models I have ridden.

Styling - Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Though the new QQ250 looks a lot better than before but I still think their cosmetic vision can't come out from their old style nutshell. I can fully understand that as it is a state own company and old habbits die hard. Supersignet didn't like the orange colour but I am a KTM man so anything closer to KTM factory colour will attract my eyeballs.

Quality of make - it still can't match up with Japanese quality but sure there is evidence of improvement. First strike me is the seat cover, a sloppy job. The handlebar control switches were loose (may be it has got something to do with ChinaV changing to an aftermarket handlebar). The ignition key didn't have a smooth operation and with wear, dirt and corrosion, I don't think it will last a long time. I give it max. one year Gear box is a bit chucky and neutral is hard to find. When the green N is on, sometimes it is in gear. Enough bad things about this bike. The rest seems to be in acceptable finishing quality.

Performance - For a bike that price, I really have no complaint about the performance. In fact I am presently surprised by what the bike can do in real world situation.
    1. The suspensions got the top marks as it carried me through bumps with ease, Hold the bike down well in very twisty roads (1st gear hairpins and fast swiping 4th gear bends). I can swear that I could have passed the DL650 on the twisties but I don't know where I am going, so I stayed right behind.
    2. This little engine rocks. It is not very strong compare to Jap models but it is very close. At least I don't have to pray each time I pass a big tour bus on uphill mountain roads. May be it needs a little tune up to the rich side because at max. throttle, the engine does hesitate a bit.
    3. Brakes are adequate but lack liner control, Supersignet cooked the rear disc brake going downhill 2 up, so I couldnt really tested it for what its worth. The browned rear disc felt spongy. The front can and will lock up if I pull hard. It is not the kind of set up I want if I go on to the dirt.

If QQ keeps up their good work, I think the Japanese needs to get worried real fast. Chinese is coming very close for comfort in the small displacement motorcycle market now.

It is no KTM 690sm but it is a fun bike to have

Looks great guys and it sounds like a nice weekend on two wheelsz.

All these photos make me wonder where the trip report is?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast