Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 battery chargers 
    C-Moto Guru
    I need to get a charger unit for my motorcycle battery. Youtube videos say there are two types.. plug and leave and plug and check. The videos also said you should only charge at 2V for safety.
    I'm looking at taboo and the chargers are cheap- like under 100 yuan. They say they are either 12v or 24v chargers. No 2v to select?

Can anyone recommend a charger from toabao?

Or should I just buy a new battery. Think the bike has been sitting too long.. although my feeling is the starting problem is related to not starting the bike enough. ATM I'm looking at a nearly flat battery./ Couldn't start the bike the other day and pushed it home. Actually, I have a growing suspicion that someone is stealing the petrol from my bike. It's twice that I've take it out after a long break and just concede out with nearly no fuel.

It's a Shineray X2. Guess I should pull the battery and check what type it is first.

2. #2 Re: battery chargers 
    C-Moto Guru
    another point, the Youtube videos said I shouldn't use a car battery charger for a motorcycle because the charge is too high and could be catastrophi, however many of the battery chargers on taobao say they are for bikes AND cars.

3. #3 Re: battery chargers 
    12 Volt 1~2 Amps is fine for a motorcycle. Plug it in overnight once or twice per month and you will be fine.

4. #4 Re: battery chargers 
    This http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=559824442443 yellowish thingy can get the job done
    Last edited by humanbeing; 12-08-2017 at 06:55 AM.

5. #5 Re: battery chargers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    This http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=559824442443 yellowish thingy can get the job done
    serendipitously, I seem to have already ordered this exact one. But, yeah I saw that I really need to keep it at 2amps... doesn't seem to have a dial or anything to choose the output.

I asked the mechanic whether I needed stabiliser in the gas tank. He said not for Shanghai.

I also asked hime "so you really love motorcycles, right?" He's like "nah, not really"

6. #6 Re: battery chargers 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    I asked the mechanic whether I needed stabiliser in the gas tank. He said not for Shanghai.
    Idiot...

What does geographic location have to do with stabilizing gasoline? WTF

Being that my China life was spent in Guangdong, I was blessed with never having a month I couldn't ride my motos. It was rare for gasoline to sit more than a few weeks in any of my bikes. If your bike is going to sit for an extended period of time, stabilize the gas. Be sure to run some stabilized gas through the fuel system before you store it, run the bike for a few minutes. The quality of gas is pretty poor in China and it goes bad in 4-6 weeks.

Keeping your battery on a full time battery tender is OK, but it's better if you pull the battery, store it in a warm place, and just hit it for 6-12 hours at .5~1.0 amps every few weeks.