Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
Idiot...

What does geographic location have to do with stabilizing gasoline? WTF

Being that my China life was spent in Guangdong, I was blessed with never having a month I couldn't ride my motos. It was rare for gasoline to sit more than a few weeks in any of my bikes. If your bike is going to sit for an extended period of time, stabilize the gas. Be sure to run some stabilized gas through the fuel system before you store it, run the bike for a few minutes. The quality of gas is pretty poor in China and it goes bad in 4-6 weeks.

Keeping your battery on a full time battery tender is OK, but it's better if you pull the battery, store it in a warm place, and just hit it for 6-12 hours at .5~1.0 amps every few weeks.
Yeah, this was not an informative converastion- with the mechanic. He said that in places like 东北 they put stabilizer in- cos the fuel freezes- is this even true? This was preceded by long moments of silence as he looked at the pictures of the stabilizer fluid I showed him on taobao on my phone... Better to say something than say "I don't know what the hell that is".

Hmm.. this could be the root of the bike's starting problems- that it's been standing too long.. plus the cold weather..
worst case scenarios.. some sort of fuel system cleaning?

I bought the bike with the intention of heading into the sunset in September on an extended jaunt. I decided to stay longer to save more.
Shanghai prooves to be my motor cycle downfall still. I've wanted many times to take the bike out- to run errands- going to the bank etc... (can't in Shanghai)
Or to get into the lush surroundings (don't exist). Haha

It's my resposibility, this problem. Comes to the dead end of residence permit and work/study etc. in a city that allows affordable plating .. total dead end.

In the meantime, I'm goonna take measures to keep the battery alive through winter, stabilise the fuel and store the bike ready for next year.. But the insurance- based in Beijing is another concern. Think I'd have done better saving my money and waiting until I live in a place (I dunno, say Britain) where plating and registration are (ridiculous to say this)... possible.