Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 XY400Y Dual sport owners 
    C-Moto Noob
    ostale-marke-legend-xy400y-400-cm3-slika-28720206.jpg

Hello hopefully someone will be able to give me some feedback on this bike. I really cannot find any recent info online. Seems to be a great deal in Russian but given the limitations of Google translate I am not understanding it.

My questions are the ones that you would expect.

What are your impressions of the bike in general?

Performance, I am going to use the bike for inner city commuting and light trail riding.

General maintenance oil and air filters availability.

Really any impressions you have I would be interested to hear them.

Thanks
    Last edited by WWFCHR; 01-01-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Banned
    Production will or has stopped - nice model poor build quality and after sales service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. #3 Re: XY400Y Dual sport owners 
    C-Moto Noob
    Bike trailer.jpg

After a lot of should I shouldnt I went and got an XY400Y for the price that I got it at it was almost being given away, after months of no rain and constant spring-like weather the day I set out it decides to get all winter on me, thank god I put winter tyres on I dont always bother. I stopped to clear the built up snow from the windsreen the car park was full of recovery trucks delivering damaged vehicles from the spin outs that were happening. Fun trip!

So the first impressions of the bike are that it is not to shabby at all. Lots of torque, 6-speed box, the suspension is fine, brakes work fine but I have issues there. General looks are good this is a reasonably serious dual sport bike and the plastics are not as horrific as what I had read online, in fact I would say they are comparable to a mid 80's Honda they are certainly no worse than my old 1985 CR125 and superior to a KTM I once knew where panels could be broken by just giving them a dirty look.

So what needs sorting....Brakes what sort of sick B****** runs the front brake hose of an off road bike up the back of the fork leg this is almost unforgivable, but when I reaslised that the flexible hose that leaves the front caliper then connects to a car brake line which goes up the fork leg to then connect to another flexible hose to run up the rear of the triple clamp so one hose has a total of 4 connections....just what was the point this was something that was easier to get right than wrong someone actually engineered a mistake. The irony is the plastic USD fork leg guard has the bracket for the brake hose preformed into it. So this will all be changed along with the brake assembly.

Second thing is the coolant pipe from the water pump wraps around the frame, while I see why they went that way, and while it is exposed it would be an unlucky hit to take and you would need to be pushing through some serious brush at speed. However I cant look at it, it bothers me nearly as much as the front brake hose routing so I will change that also.

Apart from that and some untidy wiring that can be sorted with bit of velcro strap. I have spent yesterday and today just messing about and tomorrow will begin stripping it for a deep clean, greasing, new filters and oils, and removing the parts that will be junked.

I will be ordering front and rear mudguards from an XR400 along with side panels as well. The fuel tank that is currently a matte black finish is going to be resprayed satin white.

Future plans....I will dump that radiator if I can get my hands on a pair of split radiators. I think a pair off a 250 motocross bike will do the job and there will be plenty of room to fabricate the brackets.

This should be a decent little trail bike come Spring.
    Last edited by WWFCHR; 02-05-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Spelling (Probably more that I have not seen)

4. #4 Re: XY400Y Dual sport owners 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WWFCHR View Post
    Bike trailer.jpg

After a lot of should I shouldnt I went and got an XY400Y for the price that I got it at it was almost being given away, after months of no rain and constant spring-like weather the day I set out it decides to get all winter on me, thank god I put winter tyres on I dont always bother. I stopped to clear the built up snow from the windsreen the car park was full of recovery trucks delivering damaged vehicles from the spin outs that were happening. Fun trip!

So the first impressions of the bike are that it is not to shabby at all. Lots of torque, 6-speed box, the suspension is fine, brakes work fine but I have issues there. General looks are good this is a reasonably serious dual sport bike and the plastics are not as horrific as what I had read online, in fact I would say they are comparable to a mid 80's Honda they are certainly no worse than my old 1985 CR125 and superior to a KTM I once knew where panels could be broken by just giving them a dirty look.

So what needs sorting....Brakes what sort of sick B****** runs the front brake hose of an off road bike up the back of the fork leg this is almost unforgivable, but when I reaslised that the flexible hose that leaves the front caliper then connects to a car brake line which goes up the fork leg to then connect to another flexible hose to run up the rear of the triple clamp so one hose has a total of 4 connections....just what was the point this was something that was easier to get right than wrong someone actually engineered a mistake. The irony is the plastic USD fork leg guard has the bracket for the brake hose preformed into it. So this will all be changed along with the brake assembly.

Second thing is the coolant pipe from the water pump wraps around the frame, while I see why they went that way, and while it is exposed it would be an unlucky hit to take and you would need to be pushing through some serious brush at speed. However I cant look at it, it bothers me nearly as much as the front brake hose routing so I will change that also.

Apart from that and some untidy wiring that can be sorted with bit of velcro strap. I have spent yesterday and today just messing about and tomorrow will begin stripping it for a deep clean, greasing, new filters and oils, and removing the parts that will be junked.

I will be ordering front and rear mudguards from an XR400 along with side panels as well. The fuel tank that is currently a matte black finish is going to be resprayed satin white.

Future plans....I will dump that radiator if I can get my hands on a pair of split radiators. I think a pair off a 250 motocross bike will do the job and there will be plenty of room to fabricate the brackets.

This should be a decent little trail bike come Spring.
    Shuben did a review on his XY 400 Gy X5 some years ago. It's still on this forum..

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Shuben did a review on his XY 400 Gy X5 some years ago. It's still on this forum..
    But this XY400Y is different from XY400GY.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #6 Re: XY400Y Dual sport owners 
    C-Moto Noob
    34458374_10217514477160760_2369252184089952256_n.jpg

So I spent the rest of winter months rebuilding the bike and removing more mud than you can possibly imagine, I am not exaggerating when I say that there was not a single part of the bike that did not have mud ground into it. from the airbox to the electrical connections required removal soaking, cleaning and then blasting with an air compressor. So I ended up doing more work than I actually set out to do I paid approximately 500 USD for the bike and probably spent another 300 USD on parts. It came with 1800km and had been neglected through all of them, however no lasting damage had been done and the worrying swarf I found in the old oil and the completely used oil filter was from the manufacturing process. I split the bottom end and the gearbox is in great shape. forks were stripped and rebuilt with fresh oil, complete rewire, and grease where there should be grease.

I replaced the brake lines with braided hose and routed the front one correctly. The rear brake master cylinder fell apart while I was taking it off so was replaced with a type that has the built in fluid reservoir, then I changed the brake line and the calliper and added a hydraulic switch to operate the brake light rather than the mechanical one that I managed to break by catching it with my boot. All the parts were sourced on eBay and were negligible in cost. The whole point of this bike was to have a useable dual sport as cheap as possible. Other things I have changed are the headlight that was basically falling apart. The new one is a Cree LED type with dip and main beam, sourced from a Wrangler jeep which fit perfectly into the old housing and I used epoxy resin to attach the retaining bracket and the beam level adjustment bracket. The picture shows the bike with temporary light I borrowed from my sons pit bike which he shortly demanded the return of (Kids eh?). The fork legs had began to fade and look tired so I wrapped them in carbon fibre affect vinyl which looks great and was a dollar fix and really freshens the look of the bike in my opinion. The seat has remained original though I took to it with a bowl of soapy water and a yard brush. The rear shock link even though it was caked in mud was in excellent shape though close to being dry so it was fully greased and rebuilt.

Other things changed are as you would expect new DiD chain, spark plug, new grips, and I used a cheap locally produced plasti dip spray paint to spray the radiator shrouds. Tyres are as new so I have left them on. Front and rear mudguards and the side panels are ACERBIS for an XR400R and were the most expensive parts but came at a discount as a kit from the same merchant.

Future plans....not a lot really this little bike was actually in good shape just neglected and needed details to be taken care of. I do intend on adding some panniers I will probably get some cheap bicycle ones and adapt them. USB charger will go on because I am addicted to my phone and satnav so need to charge it.

I have put several hundred kilometres on the bike now and it fires up on the button, has no leaks or strange noises, runs clean and quiet, and stops very well. While its not going to challenge a KTM its more than adequate for the trails I ride and ideal for city traffic its tall and visible and easy to manoeuvre, and has cut my commute from an hour plus to 20 minutes. All in all with registration it has come in at just a little under a 1000 USD which is exactly what I wanted and set out to achieve.

34552685_10217514478680798_6317916705100136448_n.jpg
    Last edited by WWFCHR; 06-15-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo and additional image

7. #7 Re: XY400Y Dual sport owners 
    C-Moto Noob
    So after a year living with the Xingyue 400R I am a very happy camper.

I have added panniers sourced for 10 usd off of eBay, they were for a bicycle but I added some webbing to extend them and they fit perfectly. I also added a throw over tank bag designed for a quad bike (I sprayed both bags down with that shoe/tent waterproofing spray, and neither bag has leaked even in a torrential hour long rain storm I got caught in). I added a disc cover for the aesthetics if I am honest, and a cheap scooter fly screen was adapted to take the pressure off my chest at highway speeds which it does perfectly. the three dots are velcro which stop it from vibrating. I also fabricated a bash plate from aluminium you can see on the image.

The other change was to replace the sprockets. The bike came wildly under geared with a 13/48 sprocket set up which allowed the engine to over rev in any gear (I suspect that a lot of the engine reliability issues reported about this bike are due to it being thrashed through the gears). I have dropped this to a 14/40 sprocket set up which allows the bike to comfortably cruise at 110 kmh, and off road capability has not been noticeably affected. I have been achieving approximately 24 km to the litre so a 216 km range. This is doubled with a 10 litre reserve tank that I have made and mounts on the rear fender rack. (Honda CBF 250 front sprocket fits XR does not)

Loaded up with camping gear the bike performed brilliantly once the rear shock was stiffened slightly with the adjuster the added weight was barely noticeable. I was able to run on the highway with the other bikes in a group of large capacity Euro and Japanese models without any issues. When we left the asphalt I honestly would not have chosen any other bike as it was flawless, delivering more than enough power when demanded and feeling sure footed on faster dirt roads, and able to slowly navigate several kilometres of forest track that had been beaten to hell by 4 wheel drive vehicles, we found ourselves sometimes in wheel ruts half a metre deep plus mud that required some of the group to stop and ask for assistance the Xingyue just pulled itself through.

This little bike has earned a permanent place in the garage and was well worth the investment in time that I initially had no intention of putting into it.

42872919_10218529477855143_1335990774747103232_n.jpg

IMG_20181202_190352 (2).jpg
    Last edited by WWFCHR; 12-02-2018 at 07:28 PM.