Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Road-ready Shineray XY250GY-2 Thoughts... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Im seriously considering buying the Shineray XY250GY 2 motard/dual sport/road-ready for a trip across China this summer.
    Its a bit pricey and i cant get to see one before i buy so i thought id solicit a few opinions.
    It looks and sounds great on paper.
    Does anyone have one? How is it?
    Are they suitable for carrying camping gear?
    Theyre built to motorcross, so has it got what it takes to slug it all the way to Qinghai?
    Any general thoughts welcome...

Oh, one last thing, is the seat big enough for me to get a chick on the back?

Cheers all...

Why not check out the Galaxy XTR 250? Not to discourage you on the Shineray, but they are available in China, and you should at least see it, as I am sure it would be similar to the Shineray. In other words, you could sit on it and check out where to strap gear and bags, and bring a girl with you to sit on it with you ....

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Calcune - I wish, as close as i can get to a bike is looking at it on the net.

I've never heard of the Galaxy.

Any Pics.?

I'll be back in China later this week shoping for a new bike. I still have not had any luck with the Qingqi or the Shineray 250 motard, any news from any one?

Ok, this is the Galaxy XTR 250 with the air-cooled 230cc engine.

http://www.puzey.co.za/commuters/xtrmotard250_main.asp

The Galaxy versions have been seen around China from what I understand.

I am not sure if the liquid-cooled version of the XTR 250 is an OEM for Puzey/Pitster Pro/CCM or is also available through Galaxy, but here is a link to Pitster Pro's site's XTR 250 motard for photos:

http://pitsterpro.com/bike/photos/id/31

The Galaxy has also been discussed here on mychinamoto as it competed in and placed very well in the Taklamaken Rally last year:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241

The sites for Galaxy, both their consumer site and their business to business site seems to be not up and running, so not sure if they were a victim of the economy or the communist government not liking them beating the state's teams.

Why would you want a Galaxy?

The bike is tiny, it will look silly and too small unless you are 5ft2.

The engine is a jurassic 230cc 12KW engine, Loncin or Zongshen. The Shineray has a 17-18KW water cooled-engine, they are in a different league on paper, at least. If the Shineray can be registered in China, it would be the better of the two.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ive been told it can be licensed. I'll keep you posted when i get more information later this week.

If the Shineray can be registered. It is certainly a big IF

Also the Qingqi 250cc motard still isn't ready, so true, you don't have endless choices.

I'd go with the Qingqi 200GY, the power is very similar to the Galaxy, despite the displacement difference, as the Qingqi has a more modern design.

Buying bikes in China is like trying to by computer hardware, there's better on its way for more money, but you've just got to wait a little longer.......
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

The good thing about the Galaxy is how well it did in the Takalakamen Rally last year. However, I forgot about the Qingqi 200 (with all these larger-engined bikes coming out) as that uses a Suzuki engineered engine. Just today on another thread, DanH mentioned that he was quoted 13,800 RMB in Wuhan before negotiations for the Qingqi 200 motard, but CrazyCarl stated that the enduro versions can be had for about 9000.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This is the definitive answer on the Shineray 250 GY2...
    It is for sale and can be bought from the company, the price is 14-16,000 yuan (i know, not that definitive, i forgot).
    However, it can definitely not yet be registered to ride on the roads in China. I was told this will change soon,few months maybe.
    I have the msn of a guy there who speaks English and is very friendly,if you want it, let me know.
    Word of warning, a love the sound of his own voice, salesman type told my Chinese speaking GF it could be registered, it wasnt until i did the research myself in English i found out it couldnt.
    I bought a Zongshan Sierra in the end.. goes all right too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast