Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Eating oil

1. #1 Eating oil 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi there,

I'm riding my shineray x2 in zhejiang. On the 4th day of the trip now. The day before yesterday, I checked the engine oil. Fine. This morning the stock was totally dry. Wiggled it a bit and there was a few mm of black oil on the end.
    On my last long trip, a mechanic said that the oil was lie that's why it wouldn't start. He put about 600ml to top up. I changed the oil when I got home with motol.. After seven days riding.

Could it be this bike eats oil. Yesterday was full revs down the main road all day. I have thought that keeping it pinned like this is not good for engine longevity. Guess it's time to get a touring bike. I seriously bought engine oil two days ago with this thought in mind and now will go early doors to find a funnel of some description.. But my question is is this a serious problem with the bike or normal?
    . Question for self.. Is it time to get a touring bike:)

2. #2 Re: Eating oil 
    Or maybe just a bike that doesn't drink oil will be a good start.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Eating oil 
    It's an automatic oil changer. By not having enough oil, you keep adding oil, that way you always have fresh oil going into the bike. But seriously... I've been on a few rides with single cylinder four strokes that would blow through a couple hundred cc's of oil during long days at high speeds (110-135kmh). Make sure you're checking the level with bike sitting up straight on level ground.

Yes, you should buy something bigger if you're going to pull long days on the road @ 100+ kmh.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    It's an automatic oil changer. By not having enough oil, you keep adding oil, that way you always have fresh oil going into the bike. But seriously... I've been on a few rides with single cylinder four strokes that would blow through a couple hundred cc's of oil during long days at high speeds (110-135kmh). Make sure you're checking the level with bike sitting up straight on level ground.

Yes, you should buy something bigger if you're going to pull long days on the road @ 100+ kmh.
    Check whether the gear house venting is maybe twisted. That leads to over pressure in the engine a force oil in the crankshaft area and combustion chamber. There it will be burned. Basically you see blue smoke from your exhaust, especially when you suddenly rev up or shut the throttle quickly.
    If the venting is OK then just buy a new 76mm diameter cylinder/ piston set incl. Sealing rings. Total cost for the 300cc should be around 500RMB.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    Check whether the gear house venting is maybe twisted. That leads to over pressure in the engine a force oil in the crankshaft area and combustion chamber. There it will be burned. Basically you see blue smoke from your exhaust, especially when you suddenly rev up or shut the throttle quickly.
    If the venting is OK then just buy a new 76mm diameter cylinder/ piston set incl. Sealing rings. Total cost for the 300cc should be around 500RMB.

..... Or put the original 250cc kit on again. I had sent it to you.

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #6 Re: Eating oil 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

I thought about that, yes. Now no need to change oil as it's all gone.

Obviously not normal. It happened on the first ride as well.

Anyway, I took the bike to Zhejiang from Shanghai. Over the elevator bridge. Down the G349 to ningbo. Folllowing Biker doc's recommendations, I went to Taohuadao.
    Anyone going there- don't go to the very peak of the tallest mountain. It's a military base and you'll get i n deep shit.

Then to Xikou- pretty little town on the way to Simingshan. The fog and winding wet mouyntain roads of Simingshan were trecherous - good surface but just weather conditions were bad. Lovely to be in nature though.

Thanks for repklies on this, I was worried. Just kept oil topped up. The oil drinking seemed to accelerate on the way back to Shanghai, so I kept the speed low. Frozen return. Now home safley. 9 days solo on the road.

Big thanks to the MCM member who wechatted me. It was a great reassurance.