Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in China? 
    Hey guys,

So my brother moved to China and got his license all squared away. We are looking at getting him a new bike. I currently ride a duke 390 and he will be riding with me. We will go from city to city and explore the country side together on these things.

What would you suggest for a 27 year old with very little bike experience? He weighs about 58kg so he is pretty small and very short. We are looking at making some very long trips together through China. Mostly the northern half...

He would prefer to not spend imported bike prices so we are looking at more affordable Chinese models!
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Hey guys,

So my brother moved to China and got his license all squared away. We are looking at getting him a new bike. I currently ride a duke 390 and he will be riding with me. We will go from city to city and explore the country side together on these things.

What would you suggest for a 27 year old with very little bike experience? He weighs about 58kg so he is pretty small and very short. We are looking at making some very long trips together through China. Mostly the northern half...

He would prefer to not spend imported bike prices so we are looking at more affordable Chinese models!
    There is a local made 150cc Yamaha Enduro for about 11k RMB + plate. That should be suitable for his weight, experience and required luggage.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    very little bike experience?
    China is not the best country to start learning IMO.
    I wish you both good luck and have some great rides out.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    C-Moto Guru
    I think this looks pretty good. found it for sale by a wechat vendor

image.jpg

It's a Yamaha, so possibly more reliable. Low seat height and lower weight. Can be plated. 2800 can't really be beaten. I can send you the details.

Btw, cool that your brother has come out here. Great chance to ride with him, introduce him to China and to bikes.

I have two brothers. The little one used to ride mx as a kid and is getting back into that now. It would be fantastic to have him out here.

5. #5 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    Thanks for the responses guys!

Do you really think a little 150 is big enough for him? Were going to be out on roads where buses and trucks are ripping at 80kmh. I was thinking along the lines of a 250cc. However the reliability of a honda is always appreciated.

Yeah, I am real excited about riding with my brother. He has a moped he has been riding around town on for the last year he has been here. Now he wants to get a real motorcycle. I think he will be fine. He is used to Chinese crazy traffic and we only ride in full gear.

That honda for 2800 though, I bet it costs me 1500 to ship it to Changchun. We live waaaaay in the north. I can get a used Honda 190 for about 10k here in town.

Metalmonkey, drag your brother to China. I coerced mine with a chinese girl and a job!
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

6. #6 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Aprilia 150cc line is pretty cool. 6 bikes I think with the same engine.
    My ridding buddy has the Terra 150-5A which he loves. its a small engine but has good power for its size. It likes to rev high. Crouzing at 90km/h is not a problem and my friend managed 130km/h once.

nice bikes

7. #7 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    C-Moto Guru
    Can I second the above. Good thinking. Good quality in China.

I rode the Aprilia terra at the Chongqing cima last year. Nice low weight. Flickable. Smooth power delivery. Good recommendation that.

It also won't tear his arms off with the power. Low seat and weight too.

For a 150, it's a bit more in terms of cost imo but worth it for design and build quality.

I also understand what price says above. Laconic as usual. But yeah, learning in China is a steep curve. Ask me how I know.

But he'll have his bro along to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Can I second the above. Good thinking. Good quality in China.

I rode the Aprilia terra at the Chongqing cima last year. Nice low weight. Flickable. Smooth power delivery. Good recommendation that.

It also won't tear his arms off with the power. Low seat and weight too.

For a 150, it's a bit more in terms of cost imo but worth it for design and build quality.

I also understand what price says above. Laconic as usual. But yeah, learning in China is a steep curve. Ask me how I know.

But he'll have his bro along to help.
    Ifvhe budget allows it look at the classic 440cc Shineray. I have here in BJ several guys going on that nearly everywhere. There is even a scrambler version.
    Low seat, easy handling, enough power, all road suitable.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #9 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    Those Aprilia bikes look really nice but I heard they are not "real" Aprilia bikes and that they are just re-branded zongshen motors.

I also heard they were not very reliable. Again this is all local hearsay, but I am not sure. I saw them for sale at the Cfmoto dealer in town. They looked nice.

Since you think 150's are good enough for him. What do you think of the NK150 ABS version? It is cheaper then the Aprilia's and it comes with ABS. All thoughts on that are appreciated.

However that Aprilia adventure bike might have the suspension he needs for some of these Chinese roads but then again i have not seen anything my Duke could not handle.

@ShuBen That Shineray is out of his price range sadly :(

10. #10 Re: Best Chinese bike for a beginner that is going to be riding long distance in Chin 
    The CFmoto NK 150 with ABS is a good starter bike for China IMO.
    Then if that works out ok and he gets the on ok with Chinese driving.

Then move him up to a MT 650.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast