Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hi community!

i would like to buy one of them. as there is no way to register any bigger engine than 250cc here in my town (shishi/fujian), options are very limited. even if i have a chance to have some bigger engines to be registered in neighbour cities i do not want trouble riding here in my town. so being registered is important for me.

i will mostly ride in the city but i really would like to have some fun on dirt. that's why naked (cfmoto 250nk, benelli bj250-xx) and adv (rx3, dl250) bikes are not the options.

so here is the things;

- i really like the look of benelli. i guess this is the same bike that they call "bx250 motard" in india, uae and some south american countries. but i am not sure if i am able to buy it (or find some spoke 18/21") enduro rims. i want to have 2 sets of wheels to ride it on street and dirt.

- i haven't even seen any rider of benelli. haven't even seen any review of it. that sounds really strange.

- for the shineray x2, i am suggested to buy carburetor version of it (thanks @shuben, got a lot of information from him) how bad is efi on x2? i mean these are the never models (xy250gy-2a and xy250gy-2b i guess) that they produced.

- how good is shineray? most of the riders sell it very soon as i saw. that's just because it is an entry level bike or there is really something wrong with it?

- last (but not least) i prefer to have crf250l actually. rally version if possible. but i don't know if it's okay to register that one here in china. i am ready to pay some more for it actually. i am open for the ideas 😊

thanks for your help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bahadir; 04-26-2018 at 07:01 AM.

2. #2 Re: shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    - last (but not least) i prefer to have crf250l actually. rally version if possible. but i don't know if it's okay to register that one here in china. i am ready to pay some more for it actually. i am open for the ideas

Hi and welcome to MCM.

CRF250L is not legal in China yet?
    That said many are being sold on Taobao which are CLONE to a Chinese legal bike and comes with all the legal documents.

Link....https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=20#detail

Would it pass a Police check? more likely you will be ok? would I buy one? NO.

But sometimes you have to do what you need to do to get the bike you realy want.?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    The XY250GY-2B (EFI Touring version) is not in production anymore.

Clear is, that an X2 needs regular intense maintenance and some parts to be improved by replacement.
    It worked well for me, but you would need some wrenching skills.

Depending on how dirty you want to get ... I would take the DL250 in consideration as the absolute majority of your rides will be on road.
    To go in the bushes without jumping the DL250 can do for sure with some dual sport tires.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    thanks for your answers. yesterday i checked some local shops here. i finally found what i was looking for. i paid the deposit for benelli.

it was pretty hard to explain why i was asking for the bigger spoke wheels. as it is already a higher bike it was meaningless to put higher tyres :) many of them told me the factory didn't have such product. so i was asked to buy a set of spoke dual purpose rims and wheels online and install it by myself or with their help.

at last, one of the shops sent me a picture from factories warehouse;

17/19 spoke wheels default on the bike. as soon as i saw the picture i went to shop and talked about the price and decided to buy. but at the last minute i asked if this one was the older model with 6lt of gas tank or the newer model with thr 9.6lt of tank. he said smaller tank :) and the price that hi gave me (16k rmb) was for that one. sounds complicated, right ;) told him the one that i wanted to buy was newer version. he said ok, but need a confirmation with factory. I don't think there will be any more complication.

so now i am waiting for the news from him.. i will keep you updated! looking forward to recieve the bike.

@prince666; i would love to buy crf but seems like out of my budget for now :) i may need some experience with a bike to decide what i really enjoy with. thanks for the advices.

@shuben; since i am not planing to have a long trip around, dl is a bit heavy and bulky for me to ride at the city. i may consider buying one bigger adv in the future for travelling. i better spend some time with the bike i like and i can decide :) thanks for your help.

5. #5 Re: shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    Great news

Nice bike, 250cc?

Lager tank will be best should get about 250km from the tank if its a 250cc
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    yes, it's 250cc. this is the bike;

http://wx.benellimotor.com/motors/pr...detail_11.html

7. #7 Re: shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    Yes looks interesting.
    Will you keep it as a motard or try and fit 21/18 setup
    Seat height with a 21/18 could be a bit much if you have short legs.
    If all the bits hold up on the Benelli then it should be a good starter bike for you.
    From the pictures, I can't see any mounting point for a rear rack?
    Which would be nice to have.

Aso I notices that the tyres fitted on the website wheels are PURE street tyres,
    but in the picture, you first posted it looks like the tyres are 50/50 tyres.
    Which ones are you getting?

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes looks interesting.
    Will you keep it as a motard or try and fit 21/18 setup
    Seat height with a 21/18 could be a bit much if you have short legs.
    If all the bits hold up on the Benelli then it should be a good starter bike for you.
    From the pictures, I can't see any mounting point for a rear rack?
    Which would be nice to have.

Aso I notices that the tyres fitted on the website wheels are PURE street tyres,
    but in the picture, you first posted it looks like the tyres are 50/50 tyres.
    Which ones are you getting?
    @prince666:

i am buying the one with spoke wheels. the new model (9.6lt tank) comes with 17" alloy rims. so the seller is gonna confirm with the factory if it is possible to change the wheels with the one that they used (19/17 spoked) on older model. that's why i am still waiting for news from the seller.

about the 21/19 setup, I'm not sure whether it can be replaced or not. what if i buy it with the alloy rims and get an extra set of 21/19 tyres? I'm a bit confused about it.

and the racks for rear and side bags; i will have to figure it out by myself again. the racks are sold by brand as i saw and i could not seen any for this model online. any suggestions are welcome..

9. #9 Re: shineray x2 vs. benelli bj250gy 
    Hi
    Keep the bike on 17" and fit a set of 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 preilli MT60 tyres.
    A lot of the guys in Thailand are changing there 21/18 not 19? to 17 all round with a good set of 50/50 tyres.

Keep to tubeless and for what you need, spoke wheels are mainly used when a bike does a lot of offroad stuff.
    But generally spoke wheels are tubed, and only the very top makes fit tubeless spoke wheels.

Back rack and side bags.

I am only going by what I can figure out from the pictures of the bike, and from what I can see Benelli has not considered how people will fit a back rack.

Without seeing the bike there not much more I can add.

If I see one a have a better look and report back to you ok

If you are planning to ride about China touring then you need to work something out.

The worry I have is the rear Sub-frame, is it designed to take some extra KG at the back.

Here are a few pictures of my CRF250 set up for travelling.

This is the part I am concerned about?

How is it fixed or welded under that cover

Here you can get a better view of the CRF set up with the engine fame and the rear fame.

IMO your bike looks a bit, well what can I say "Chinese made" so be carefull.

Last edited by prince666; 04-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    prince666; thanks for your advices. i will have to handle the bag racks by myself anyway. couldn't find one on taobao for it.

love the looking of your crf250. as i loved the africa twin that u have as well :)

that's a chinese bike, i know. i never thought that one as an Italian :) but even in that case it feels like better than having another chinese bike. at the and all for fun, you know. we will see..

thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast