Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What are my choices for reliable Chinese motorcycle 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hello,
    Thanks very much for this forum on Chinese motorbikes. As many other things in China, the motorcycle business is unlike anywhere else in the world.

I am now live in Kunming, Yunnan, and I am looking to buy a motorcycle.
    I am very fond of the '80s look of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle, Honda Nighthawk CB750 is a classic example. Its probably the most successful motorcycle ever. I will be commuting daily around 30 Km to the office, and I would like to explore Yunnan on the weekends How fast (average) can a 125cc go comfortably? I don't have experience with anything smaller than 400.

Roads in China are not as bad as they were 14 years ago, I was not here then, but I read it was hell. So I don't really need, but really want a Honda TransAlp. But lets stick to what I can get my hands on.

What is most suitable for my case ? And where in Kunming can i get one? Also, its possible for me to go to Chongqing if i have a better choice for a bike.

Please help me get my freedom back , thanks.

C-Moto Senior
    I have noticed what's common in some parts of China can be rare in others. That said, Regal Raptor sells a variety of cruisers and standards based on the old Honda CMX250/CB250 Rebel, and the prices are reasonable. I have a real Honda Rebel near Shanghai. Mine will hit 120 km/h, more than fast enough for China and I see little reason why the Chinese copies are slower.

Senior C-Moto Guru
    I thought this is the Honda Rebel, you can classify it as a mini Cruiser::
    2005-Honda-Rebel250.jpg

The picture you attache looks more like a 'naked' bike. Or a modern sport bike minus the fairing. I dont like that seating position. But what is this Regal Raptor manufacturer ?? Can you provide a link? if they make good sport bikes, they might very well make a UJM.

Just so you don't confuse with your CMX; the Nighthawk 750 i am talking about looks like this::
    1992_cb750.jpg
    The seating position is more upright. If you are interested to read more::
    http://hondanighthawks.net/750.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB750SC
    Also the 250 version looks similar.
    Anyone knows a chinese manufacturer making a Nighthawk ?

Senior C-Moto Guru
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17
    I see CrazyCarl once had a "Chinese Nighthawk" the ZhongXin ZX 150-5, any more info on that or something similar?
    i see plenty of similar bikes on the street, I really cannot keep up. I need some advice.
    Thanks

C-Moto Senior
    Sorry that I wasn't very clear.

In the late 1970's Honda developed a parellel twin 200/250 cc engine. This became the engine of the CMX250 Rebel (cruiser) and the CB 250 nighthawk (standard). This basic engine has been copied by numerous Chinese companies, the best being Lifeng, which makes the 'Regal Raptor.' My Rebel is definitely a cruiser.

This engine and it's derivatives power most of the larger, more powerful Chinese bikes, especially non dirtbikes. The pic you published was of my Rebel, the one I showed was Lifeng's take on a modern CB250 Nighthawk.

As for other slightly more powerful streetbikes, you could go with a Suzuki GN250 (if you can find one),

a Yamaha YBR 250 (expensive)

or Chinese copies of a Suzuki GN250 (common, but I don't know specific brands).

As for a 125 cc's, it depends. I have ridden a Loncin and a Suzuki 125 and they can cruise at up to about 90 km/h. I have been told that the YBR125 can cruise at up to 110+ km/h. I don't know for sure. Other high-tech small engines also have good performance (Honda CBF150 for example).

C-Moto Senior
    Between the Lifeng 'Regal Raptor' and the CB250 Nighthawk, Lifeng has actually made fewer changes than it appears. The engine is water cooled, the brakes are disk instead of drum and the frame is double cradle rather than single cradle. The bars, seat and pegs are basically similiar. The Lifeng is rather hideous compared to the timeless simplicity of the Honda, but it's mainly cosmetic.

Look up a Jialing JH200.

I used to have a CB250RS, that was a 249cc single. But the CB250N was the 234cc parallel twin, great bike, slightly less power than the RS, but more torque. The Regal Raptors are significantly different, mostly cosmetic. I'm concerned by their CB250N based bike. If you have this, are the rear shocks adjustable, and how about the weird Ducati inspired under seat exhausts, any problems? Although to be fair I think the Cheng Shin tires it comes with are much better than 80's Bridgestone tires the CB250 came with originally.

If Honda claimed 13KW for the CMX250 Rebel/CB250N how is the Raptor 15KW with emissions stuff fitted?
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Okay, so what i looking for is a street bike like the Nighthawyk - simple, classic and indestructible.
    Suzuki also makes something similar. From suzukicycles.org, i found in China there are three suzuki manufacturers::

• NANJING JINCHENG SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.
    • JINAN QINGQI SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.
    • DACHANGJIANG MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.

I have seen some bikes (125 to 250cc) branded as Suzuki or Honda in China, mean the name is on the gas tank, not the engine. Are these imported ? Whats their story?

Seems in many dealers are not Kunming, so i have to make a list of possible bikes and try to find a dealer selling the best choices.

So here is the list so far::

Suzuki GN250 >> who makes this?? i only found the 125 version. http://www.haojue.com/en/products/gn125f/index.htm

Honda CB150:
    http://www.honda-sundiro.com/pro/sho...D=94&ClassID=3

I will be doing more detective work, and this weekend i will go to the shops and maybe ask some chinese friend to make a few phone calls for me, see if there are other dealers in Kunming.
    I think this kind of bike is the perfect first chinese bike, i think its a bad idea to pay for a bike I really want before I actually try to ride for a week, maybe i will like the bus more !! I will keep updating this post if i find something new..

I've seen the GN250 old, but never seen it available new.

A good 125 will cruise at 100, and some can get to 120 downhill with a tailwind.

Personally from reports I think Jianshe Yamaha are probably the best made machines in China, also you know what you are getting, and have access to tons of information about them on the net. Many of them are for export. The YBR250 would be the choice of the person who doesn't want to gamble with Chinese made product. As powerful as any other Chinese made 250, reliable and fuel efficient as it's fuel injected. The problem is the asking price of 23,000 Yuan, a little steep. I've noticed that some hardcore Chinese riders who really like big bikes have switched over to these to stay legal.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Okay, so what i looking for is a street bike like the Nighthawyk - simple, classic and indestructible.
    Suzuki also makes something similar. From suzukicycles.org, i found in China there are three suzuki manufacturers::

• NANJING JINCHENG SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.
    • JINAN QINGQI SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.
    • DACHANGJIANG MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD.

I have seen some bikes (125 to 250cc) branded as Suzuki or Honda in China, mean the name is on the gas tank, not the engine. Are these imported ? Whats their story?

Seems in many dealers are not Kunming, so i have to make a list of possible bikes and try to find a dealer selling the best choices.

So here is the list so far::

Suzuki GN250 >> who makes this?? i only found the 125 version. http://www.haojue.com/en/products/gn125f/index.htm

Honda CB150:
    http://www.honda-sundiro.com/pro/sho...D=94&ClassID=3

I will be doing more detective work, and this weekend i will go to the shops and maybe ask some chinese friend to make a few phone calls for me, see if there are other dealers in Kunming.
    I think this kind of bike is the perfect first chinese bike, i think its a bad idea to pay for a bike I really want before I actually try to ride for a week, maybe i will like the bus more !! I will keep updating this post if i find something new..
    how about WH125-7 (wuyang honda)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast