Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Oh, Hell Yeah!

1. #1 Oh, Hell Yeah! 
    Bonjour a la compagnie from NoVA!

Dee-lighted to have found this site and the new (to me) world of Chinese bikes - wow; Who Knew?

I returned to riding last year after a 30-year absence. We now have a Vespa GTS 250ie, an '06 number of the scarce-ish (in N America) Honda PS250 Big Ruckus, and a Honda Metropolitan for the wife.

I have just uncrated and begun fooling around with a new LF110GY-3 CT70 clone. Impressed with the overall quality and performance - what a surprise! Very easy to work on, even for a complete non-mechanic as myself, and I'm having lots of fun with the learning curve - so far, I have swapped-out the OEM sprockets for a 'street' set-up, and am considering going to the Lifan 140cc engine just for yucks.

Too old and achy for a lotta offroad stuff, I'll be looking at Chinese streetbikes. I always liked Scrambler style machines - started with a 1964 C110 Super Cub and moved up to a '68 CB77. Moderate engine size appeals to me most (250-400cc), but Chinese imports are not yet well represented beyond 250.

Anyhow, I don't know nuthin' about nuthin', and will be posting plenty of ig'nernt-type, brain-lock questions as I look around.

Regards to all,
    rhm
    Sub-Chief Nowha'hahmsayin of the Nottawrenchas

I'm Swiss on that.

RHM,

Great to have you on board... and a local too! I've tried very hard to find a place in the DC area which carries Chinese Made bikes of any reasonable size and can't find one. There was one large on in central VA that shipped bikes but went out of business last October. Lots of Shinese and Taiwanese scooter shops around though.

Where'd you get your Lifan from? How much did it cost? Did it come with all the proper documents for registration and such?

Last but definitely not least... GOT PICS!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

True, almost no wares to be found around these parts. Arlington Vespa had a couple of 250 cruisers on offer last week - can't recall the brand, but was a little put off by the chrome-plated plastic. Fellas there (whose opinion I trust) believe them to good runners nonetheless.

The 110cc Honda CT70 clone was from one of the few authorized American Lifan dealers to drop-ship over the 'Net, Shamrock Cycles ( http://www.shamrockcycles.net/index.html ) . They had it to me in a day-and-a-half: ($1149 - free shipping) and have been extrremely responsive. The MCO arrived separately after a week, and I had no trouble getting a title and tag.

Herer's the little dickens with it's front fender and speedo off while I worked on it -

Got about 120 miles on it so far, and it just gets better and better as it breaks-in. Next up will be street tires and maaybbbeeee a Lifan 140cc engine swap...meanwhile, it's great for leaving locked up just outside the door for those quick errands around town.

Still, wish I could at least sit on a couple bigger-engined cruisers locally...Lifan has 250s in a couple configurations, of course, and I'm sure the quality is there, but ya gotta sit on a big bike before you buy one..

I'm Swiss on that.

OH man, those monkey bikes are sweet! Thanks for the Shamrock cycles link. I checked it out and they seem to have a real proper web page, moreover, I'm glad to hear you're getting a good response from them. Even more amazing is they got the bike to you in 2 days from Texas! Did you get the free shipping they advertise?

Regarding the 250's, you're right that you should sit on a bigger bike before dropping the cash on one. It'll be hard to find on locally to even look at, much less sit on one. The only thing I can offer is the dimensions should be very similar to those on the Virago (VStar) 250.... I believe the engine is similar as well.

You do purely commuting or also some day/longer distance rides in the area?

CC

Free shipping it was, with liftgate service as well per my request.

Have never sat 'pon a Virago, but have ridden a bit on Honda Rebels. To tell you the truth, I'm tempted to order a Hensim 250: looks good, reliable Internet dealers are out there, and the customer base seems to be pleased with them.

Ha! No work-commuting for me, Sir - I am re-tired, and whip around at my will: a little touring in VA-WVA-MD (as in Falls Church-to-Charlottesville-to-the-Shenandoah-to-Harpers Ferry-&-back), and day trips north & south (Baltimore and back via superslab yesterday).

I use the Vespa GTS250ie or Honda PS250; they can keep up on the Interstates for when I must use them - both are perfectly safe and stable at speed, despite the small wheels. It's just that the Interstates are boring...

But because I want a proper motocycle, then one of the 250 CVT machines must go, and I think it'll be the Honda...shown here with the grandson aboard:

I'm Swiss on that.

Well damn! I didn't know you iz a hard charger!!! Mad props to you for touring on a 250 scoot. I guess on roads like Rt.15 it wouldn't be so bad but taking a 250 scooter on I95 between DC and Baltimore must be crazy! You ever get any funny looks from the dudes on crotch rockets?

Also, how much you think you'll see the Big Ruckus for? I didn't even know those were available in this area!

CC

Oh, it's kind of prosaic, once you get used to the buffeting from semis. The bike of course is self-righting, and you soon get comfortable and relax the old death-grip on the bars. Rather deal with the Interstate than local streets round here. Got used to it fairly quickly, going about once a week down to Fredericksburg where my daughter and her family live.

Ya gotta find them used. The Big Ruckus was only imported into N America for two years, '05 and '06, and probably fewer than 2500 total. Even the local Honda dealer had never seen one. Off the line, it's just ok; after that, it's as efficient as any 250cc scoot. Mine is dead stock - haven't gone to lighter rollers or an aftemarket variator or bigger jets, all of which people have done to make them step off a little quicker. It may be the best ride ever for a passenger - extremely comfortable, and the back rest is nice for the rider, too. A unique kind of thing - a sort of pickup truck...

They do have their fans, and you see them listed usually for between 4 - 4200, tbough in the past few months a couple around the country went for under 3k. I put a new rear tire on and just added a Spitfire windscreen. I've never replaced the Kenda quasi-ds tire on the front (tsk) - fella I bought it from did a lot of forest roads and like that. When I put it up for sale, I'll probably ask like 3600 or so and see what happens...

Geez, I should really replace that Kenda, and re-finish the handlebars...

I just rolled in, btw, from the dealer's (unfortunately just around the corner) to check out the Yammie VStar 250 (the re-named Virago). Sweet! But about 4400 OTD...

I'm Swiss on that.