Hey everyone!

I completely failed. I did not get down to the DMV to have a new inspection on time. I was a month late... what happens?

I went to the DMV paid for my inspection, did the paperwork, had my bike inspected, then went inside to have it stamped. They told me I had to pay a fine for being late. I said ok lets pay it. Then the fun started!

They sent me outside to find a traffic police man to give me the ticket and told me I would get 3 points on my license. It was my mistake so I went looking for a traffic police man. Found one and he understood and tried to give me a ticket. BUT we hit a snag.

A foreigners license has some letters in the beginning of his license number that a local person does not have. His system would not accept my license number in order to give me a ticket. He told me about another paper I got when I received my license that has a code that he could use to issue the ticket. I went home, found the paper, went back to him just to find out this would not work either. He sent me to the traffic police station.

At the traffic police station they tried several things for about 2 hours and could not find a way to give me a ticket. They sent me back to the DMV and said they must have a way.

Went back to the DMV and they said they have no system to give out any ticket in any way or fashion.

Went back to the traffic police station and they said "Sorry" they could not help.

Went back to the DMV and asked to speak to management. The manager could not help and brought me upstairs to the head manager. He came down and talked with his people for about an hour and still could not give me any new info. So, we got in his car and he took us to the traffic police himself. They fussed around for another hour or so trying to give me a ticket.

Finally, we went back to the DMV, they deleted the history of my ticket from the system, renewed my inspection and sent me on my way.

In the end... no ticket, no fine, just a large amount of time invested in trying to follow the law.

What I learned from this? KEEP your papers in order! Otherwise you may have a stressful situation on your hands.

My question now is, how do they have a process to give me a license but no process to manage that license?

What a crazy life in China