Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    Hey everyone!

I completely failed. I did not get down to the DMV to have a new inspection on time. I was a month late... what happens?

I went to the DMV paid for my inspection, did the paperwork, had my bike inspected, then went inside to have it stamped. They told me I had to pay a fine for being late. I said ok lets pay it. Then the fun started!

They sent me outside to find a traffic police man to give me the ticket and told me I would get 3 points on my license. It was my mistake so I went looking for a traffic police man. Found one and he understood and tried to give me a ticket. BUT we hit a snag.

A foreigners license has some letters in the beginning of his license number that a local person does not have. His system would not accept my license number in order to give me a ticket. He told me about another paper I got when I received my license that has a code that he could use to issue the ticket. I went home, found the paper, went back to him just to find out this would not work either. He sent me to the traffic police station.

At the traffic police station they tried several things for about 2 hours and could not find a way to give me a ticket. They sent me back to the DMV and said they must have a way.

Went back to the DMV and they said they have no system to give out any ticket in any way or fashion.

Went back to the traffic police station and they said "Sorry" they could not help.

Went back to the DMV and asked to speak to management. The manager could not help and brought me upstairs to the head manager. He came down and talked with his people for about an hour and still could not give me any new info. So, we got in his car and he took us to the traffic police himself. They fussed around for another hour or so trying to give me a ticket.

Finally, we went back to the DMV, they deleted the history of my ticket from the system, renewed my inspection and sent me on my way.

In the end... no ticket, no fine, just a large amount of time invested in trying to follow the law.

What I learned from this? KEEP your papers in order! Otherwise you may have a stressful situation on your hands.

My question now is, how do they have a process to give me a license but no process to manage that license?

What a crazy life in China
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

2. #2 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    No way to get a ticket you say....hmmmm sounds good to me ;)

Now that I think about it. I have never got a ticket in China, nor any of my friends.
    Interesting

3. #3 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    Yeah it is weird, 3 years of riding here and nothing. I wonder how this would all pan out in other provinces.
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

4. #4 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    Hi Guys
    Update from Shandong province?
    Was away from my hometown when my car needed it's inspection.? ( only 1 week late)
    On leaving the exit ramp from the toll road, I was flagged down by the police.
    Talking to the police there informed me there is a new Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology is used which is linked to vehicle inspection department which informed them of a Car, bike, Truck, Bus which had passed it DUE DATE?

Got 3 points and 200RMB fine.

Now you have it guys.

Times are moving on here in China the times were you could hide and not be found are gone?

IMO its time to leave China lol

As for not getting a ticket, you were lucky, normal a ticket is just logged against the bike/car and not the driver, and needs to be cleared before you are allowed to re-inspect the Vehicle.
    So I don't know what happens in your case.
    As I said LUCKY that day.

Never had a ticket logged against my Chinese DL before so I hope you are correct that the police system can't use "our" Chinese DL number which is normal your "passport number"
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    In Jilin province the ticket is logged against the vehicle but in order to clear it, it is transferred to the drivers license of the driver. A vehicle does not get points against its license plate... So, then a normal Chinese person would just hand them the license and get it transfered. Pay what ever fee it is and continue on with their business as usual. However they could not transfer the ticket/points because the system here would not accept the foreign license number.

Therefore, not so lucky. I would rather pay the 200RMB then run around the entire day trying to solve the issue that no one knows how to solve.

Also, in provinces like Jilin... They have been using automatic ticketing for vehicles for a while but ALL motorcycles are excluded. Not sure why, but here everything about motorcycles is ignored. Thousands of people driving around with no plate at all on their bikes. Maybe one day in the future but Changchun being the poorest capital city, nothing will happen or change any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    In Jilin province the ticket is logged against the vehicle but in order to clear it, it is transferred to the drivers license of the driver. A vehicle does not get points against its license plate... So, then a normal Chinese person would just hand them the license and get it transfered. Pay what ever fee it is and continue on with their business as usual. However they could not transfer the ticket/points because the system here would not accept the foreign license number.

Therefore, not so lucky. I would rather pay the 200RMB then run around the entire day trying to solve the issue that no one knows how to solve.

Also, in provinces like Jilin... They have been using automatic ticketing for vehicles for a while but ALL motorcycles are excluded. Not sure why, but here everything about motorcycles is ignored. Thousands of people driving around with no plate at all on their bikes. Maybe one day in the future but Changchun being the poorest capital city, nothing will happen or change any time soon.
    In BJ a traffic offense is linked to the vehicle and need to be transferred to a DL and fines need to be paid before proceeding tech inspection. A bike offense can be transferred to a bike DL only. If you get a car ticket with front photo the transfer must go to the DL of the driver recognized in the photo! ( and the photos are really good 😢)

The good part is that I get a SMS from traffic authority that my bike inspection will expire in 10 days. Pretty easy to arrange it.

The bad part is that everything need to be built back to register stage. Even the engine guard of my GS needs to be removed 😬.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #7 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    TIC LFZ
    What applies in one location doesn't always apply in another.
    Most localities don't apply fines to motorcycles, but some local governments do...
    Some localities don't apply fines for late inspections although if an inspection lapses for a certain number of cycles (years) then the vehicle can't be inspected and the plates are to be surrendered and the offending vehicle would effectively become scrap.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Does this have anything to do with the National traffic computer system they are trying to implement in China. My Chinese wife tried to use my DL for a traffic ticket and like Asymptomatic she couldn't get the Shanghai traffic dept APP to accept my DL number. I thought it was because of my number is shorter and is my passport ...

9. #9 Re: Tickets in Jilin Province... Can you even get them? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Does this have anything to do with the National traffic computer system they are trying to implement in China. My Chinese wife tried to use my DL for a traffic ticket and like Asymptomatic she couldn't get the Shanghai traffic dept APP to accept my DL number. I thought it was because of my number is shorter and is my passport ...
    I don't think so, here in changchun they are still on the old systems they have had for a while.