Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    You are saying your spoke wheels are TUBELESS?
    If that is the case I am VERY Surprised.

Even my Honda AT don't come with TUBELESS spoke wheels?

But for less than 1000 RMB you can convert them?
    my budget was less than 400 RMB for two wheels, but took plenty of time. I will post recipe later, after some testing is done.

2. #22 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok, after an eventful trip to Wuxi, I can confirm that my tubeless wheels on the 502X indeed have tubes. On the way back to Huzhou this afternoon, the rear tyre met with a screw, just as I pulled off the road to have a look at the map. I thought I could put a plug in, being a tubeless tyre, but when I got the bike to an e-bike shop nearby, it was confirmed, tube. The short distance also managed to destroy the tube and then the bad news was that in the entire Wuxi, no tube in that size (150/60X17) could be found. The only solution was Taobao, which meant leaving the bike there, but the shop owner was insistent that he didn't have space for such a big bike. Fortunately his daughter arrived and she is a police girlie. She offered that the bike be stored at the police station, which happened to be right next door. I also had to produce my temporary licence plate in a subtle way, as there were questions asked why the foreigner's bike doesn't have a licence plate, but she appeared quite happy with my explanation.

So, plan of action is to wait for the tube, and an extra one, to arrive and then I wil go to Wuxi next Wednesday to fix it and return the bike to Huzhou. Just hope the tyre wasn't damaged in the about 500m I had to ride the bike at idle speed to the bike shop.

Back to the trip and the bike. I set off early morning from Huzhou, still a bit nervous and new, and finding myself on the G104 highway direction Hangzhou, instead of heading north not really helping. I managed to find a place to turn around before I got too far off course and set about dodging trucks and early morning traffic towards Changxing and Yixing. I eventually turned off on the S230 and calmness appeared. Although the road was still a dual carriageway, it had little traffic and settled down into a rhythm. The bike is very willing and confirming previous reviews I read, power delivery is linear with no powerband surges. although I am still revving only to 5000 revs for the run in. Seating position is perfect for me, but if I could change anything, I would like a slightly larger fairing. I am 1.86m and get a bit of buffeting around my head, but when ducking behind the fairing, it is really quiet. The engine has a nice drone to it, instead of the high rev screaming of the pocket rockets. It accelerates smoothly and there is abundant power for me and my intended cruising speed, considering I am driving an old Land Rover back home in South Africa and everything more than that feels fast.

As I entered Jiangsu province, the horror of a toll gate awaited me and all the stories on the forum about toll gates flashed through my head. However, I spotted the little lane on the right, just wide enough for a bike, and nonchalantly rode through without any attempt at making eye contact. Although Jiangsu is apparently bike unfriendly, I had a few cops driving past me, without batting an eyelid at my lack of licence plate. But I do have a plate with the name Benelli on it and maybe this confuses them into believing it is maybe a foreign bike when they see the old laowai face. Apparently one can also not buy fuel in Jiangsu province, but I stopped at a small petrol station with pretty young attendants, who were eager to help me, provided I pay cash. Then I got a very pleasant surprise. The bike took only 9 liters after having done 320km, thus more than 35km/l. Can't complain about that.

I planned to skirt around the outside of Wuxi, but my gf was tied up in the city and I decided to brazenly ride right through the city centre. Wuxi has a complete bike ban, but there are many bikes running around the outskirts, especially in the villages next to Taihu. I must admit I was getting a a bit tired by then and didn't enjoy the traffic at all, riding between the cars instead of in the e-bike line, but this was good for confidence.

This morning I took my gf on her first bike ride along Taihu lake, a bit cautious and nervous about the extra weight behind me, but it turned out OK and she loved it. Apart from being a bit more sluggish at the pull away, the bike didn't really feel as if it was struggling with the extra weight, mind you, she only weighs about 43kg.

All things considering still a good trip with lots of lessons learned for future riding:
    - Take spares and tyre repair kit, same as per the many years I cycled competitively,
    - Make sure you have enough fuel when riding in Jiangsu,
    -The advent of online shopping means that nobody carries stock and on a long trip you might have to wait a few days for spares to arrive,
    -Take cash with you, enough for unforeseen events,
    - Roadside maintenance is an involved activity and be prepared to take the lead and swing a spanner yourself, thus know your bike,
    - Chinese people in general will help a laowai in trouble, even if it is just for the entertainment value, but don't expect fireworks, you will need to drive the process.

I still love my bike and have no regrets buying it. The confidence is also returning and I am looking forward to riding it back to Huzhou and beyond in the days ahead. Will keep y'all posted.

3. #23 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    I can confirm that my tubeless wheels
    on the 502X indeed have tubes
    As

No SHIT Lol
    You said its been many years since you rode a motorbike .
    And shown with your knowledge with motoerbikes. IMO
    Great trip and as you said lessons learned.

Keep up the RR .
    Interested to see what happens next?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #24 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

No SHIT Lol
    You said its been many years since you rode a motorbike .
    And shown with your knowledge with motoerbikes. IMO
    Great trip and as you said lessons learned.

Keep up the RR .
    Interested to see what happens next?
    Haha, I am catching up fast. Already ordered a new Metzeler tyre to be safe, as well as spare tubes. Just need to invest in some tools and patch kit, but I'm getting there. This is good experience for long trips, rather have the trouble now than in the middle of nowhere.

5. #25 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    Quote Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
    The advent of online shopping means that nobody carries stock and on a long trip you might have to wait a few days for spares to arrive,
    They never carried stock in the first place, never seen a 17" tube at any rural bike shop in all of China.

Worth looking at as a reminder... http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ome-without-it

If you have room for both size tubes, carry them, but you can get away with just carrying a front. It will expand enough to get you where you need to go in the rear.

Old saying from other forums on the internet.... this thread is useless without pics!

6. #26 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    20180912_154553.jpg20180913_121056.jpg20180913_093949.jpg
    Got you. Uploaded a few pics of me, my gf on the bike, and at the operating table

7. #27 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
    Ok, after an eventful trip to Wuxi, I can confirm that my tubeless wheels on the 502X indeed have tubes. On the way back to Huzhou this afternoon, the rear tyre met with a screw, just as I pulled off the road to have a look at the map. I thought I could put a plug in, being a tubeless tyre, but when I got the bike to an e-bike shop nearby, it was confirmed, tube. The short distance also managed to destroy the tube and then the bad news was that in the entire Wuxi, no tube in that size (150/60X17) could be found. The only solution was Taobao, which meant leaving the bike there, but the shop owner was insistent that he didn't have space for such a big bike. Fortunately his daughter arrived and she is a police girlie. She offered that the bike be stored at the police station, which happened to be right next door. I also had to produce my temporary licence plate in a subtle way, as there were questions asked why the foreigner's bike doesn't have a licence plate, but she appeared quite happy with my explanation.

So, plan of action is to wait for the tube, and an extra one, to arrive and then I wil go to Wuxi next Wednesday to fix it and return the bike to Huzhou. Just hope the tyre wasn't damaged in the about 500m I had to ride the bike at idle speed to the bike shop.

Back to the trip and the bike. I set off early morning from Huzhou, still a bit nervous and new, and finding myself on the G104 highway direction Hangzhou, instead of heading north not really helping. I managed to find a place to turn around before I got too far off course and set about dodging trucks and early morning traffic towards Changxing and Yixing. I eventually turned off on the S230 and calmness appeared. Although the road was still a dual carriageway, it had little traffic and settled down into a rhythm. The bike is very willing and confirming previous reviews I read, power delivery is linear with no powerband surges. although I am still revving only to 5000 revs for the run in. Seating position is perfect for me, but if I could change anything, I would like a slightly larger fairing. I am 1.86m and get a bit of buffeting around my head, but when ducking behind the fairing, it is really quiet. The engine has a nice drone to it, instead of the high rev screaming of the pocket rockets. It accelerates smoothly and there is abundant power for me and my intended cruising speed, considering I am driving an old Land Rover back home in South Africa and everything more than that feels fast.

As I entered Jiangsu province, the horror of a toll gate awaited me and all the stories on the forum about toll gates flashed through my head. However, I spotted the little lane on the right, just wide enough for a bike, and nonchalantly rode through without any attempt at making eye contact. Although Jiangsu is apparently bike unfriendly, I had a few cops driving past me, without batting an eyelid at my lack of licence plate. But I do have a plate with the name Benelli on it and maybe this confuses them into believing it is maybe a foreign bike when they see the old laowai face. Apparently one can also not buy fuel in Jiangsu province, but I stopped at a small petrol station with pretty young attendants, who were eager to help me, provided I pay cash. Then I got a very pleasant surprise. The bike took only 9 liters after having done 320km, thus more than 35km/l. Can't complain about that.

I planned to skirt around the outside of Wuxi, but my gf was tied up in the city and I decided to brazenly ride right through the city centre. Wuxi has a complete bike ban, but there are many bikes running around the outskirts, especially in the villages next to Taihu. I must admit I was getting a a bit tired by then and didn't enjoy the traffic at all, riding between the cars instead of in the e-bike line, but this was good for confidence.

This morning I took my gf on her first bike ride along Taihu lake, a bit cautious and nervous about the extra weight behind me, but it turned out OK and she loved it. Apart from being a bit more sluggish at the pull away, the bike didn't really feel as if it was struggling with the extra weight, mind you, she only weighs about 43kg.

All things considering still a good trip with lots of lessons learned for future riding:
    - Take spares and tyre repair kit, same as per the many years I cycled competitively,
    - Make sure you have enough fuel when riding in Jiangsu,
    -The advent of online shopping means that nobody carries stock and on a long trip you might have to wait a few days for spares to arrive,
    -Take cash with you, enough for unforeseen events,
    - Roadside maintenance is an involved activity and be prepared to take the lead and swing a spanner yourself, thus know your bike,
    - Chinese people in general will help a laowai in trouble, even if it is just for the entertainment value, but don't expect fireworks, you will need to drive the process.

I still love my bike and have no regrets buying it. The confidence is also returning and I am looking forward to riding it back to Huzhou and beyond in the days ahead. Will keep y'all posted.
    Thanks Marco Polo for sharing. Great review and RR too...

One thing you could look at doing is converting your wire wheel rims to tubeless.

Start by getting Gator tape (it's similar to Duct tape). You can buy Gator tape on Taobao. But the idea is to remove the tyres and inner-tubes, clean up any oily residue on the inside of the rim and make sure the surface is dry before applying something to seal the wire spoke nipples that bed the spokes into the rim (some guys apply sticky dots, others use an epoxy type sealant etc), then when all said and done, apply the Gator tape tight and snug around the riim where those spokes enter into the rim. Most tubed wire spoked rims also have a rubber "band" seal which protects the inner tube from wering and pinching on the spoke nipples. You might be able to use this rubber band deal over the top of the Gator tape too once applied. The idea being that the Gator tape seals the rim, by being a barrier stopping air escaping from around the wire spoke nipples.

Then fit a tubeless valve stem, spoon on a tubeless tyre and inflate, check for leaks using a water bath or soapy water spray etc. Many bikers have converted tubed rims to tubeless... successfully. One does need to consider the rim design and whether or not a rim lock might be needed, in the event of unplanned deflation of a tubeless tyre (it depends on the rim design though).

Many owners of the Honda Africa Twin have converted the tubed rims to tubeless, both with commercial available kits (Tubliss) or 'homemade' using similar methods as described briefly. That way it's then possible to use the puncture plug and rubber 'rope' kits.

I have used this system on my old Yamaha Dragstar that I used to own in Ch!na.... I had the wire wheel rims converted from tubed to tubeless.... result was better. Far easier dealing with simple punctures with the ability to plug and go.

One can still carry spare and fit inner tubes should one have the need to deal with a more significant puncture after having converted to a tubeless tyre system.

YMMV
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-15-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #28 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Thanks Marco Polo for sharing. Great review and RR too...

One thing you could look at doing is converting your wire wheel rims to tubeless. Start by getting Gator tape (it's similar to Duct tape). You can buy Gator tape on Taobao. But the idea is to remove the tyres and inner-tubes, clean up any oily residue on the inside of the rim and make sure the surface is dry before applying something to seal the wire spoke nipples that bed the spokes into the rim (some guys apply sticky dots, others use an epoxy type sealant etc), then when all said and done, apply the Gator tape tight and snug around the riim where those spokes enter into the rim. Most tubed wire spoked rims also have a rubber "band" seal which protects the inner tube from wering and pinching on the spoke nipples. You might be able to use this rubber band deal over the top of the Gator tape too once applied. The idea being that the Gator tape seals the rim, by being a barrier stopping air escaping from around the wire spoke nipples.
    Then fit a tubeless valve stem, spoon on a tubeless tyre and inflate, check for leaks etc. Many bikers have converted tubed rims to tubeless... successfully. One does need to consider the rim design and whether or not a rim lock might be needed, in the event of unplanned deflation of a tubeless tyre (it depends on the rim design though).
    Many owners of the Honda Africa Twin have converted the tubed rims to tubeliss both with commercial available kits (Tubliss) or home made using similar methods I describe briefly. That way it's then ossible to use the puncture plugs kits.
    I have used this system on my old Yamaha Dragstar that I used to own in Ch!na.... I had the wire wheel rims converted from tubed to tubeless.... result was better. Far easier dealing with simple punctures with the ability to plug and go.
    YMMV
    Thanks doc, some food for thought for the future when I have more time on my hands. At the moment I have at most two days a week on which I can ride, so it doesn't really justify the effort, but I can certainly see the advantages. In the meantime I will stock up on patches and a spare tube or two.

9. #29 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    Regardless if you have a tube or tubeless wheels, 1 item worth considering is a TPMS?

Link...https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...36/#post-66060

Fitted a TPMS on my CFmoto 650MT in China, and just fitted 1 to my converted spoked tube wheels (now Tubless as the Doc advise how to do?) on my Honda AT here in Thailand.

The TPMS will warn you if as little as 1lb pressure is lost.

So even with a tube fitted if there is a problem you will be warned before it becomes a bigger problem IMO.
    And even with the greatness care repairing a tube, you are not 100% sure until you re-fit the tube and wheel back on the bike that all is ok?.

But having a TPMS fitted within 2 mins of riding of you can see from the pressure readout all is fine or NOT?

Just my 10 cents on this matter.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #30 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Regardless if you have a tube or tubeless wheels, 1 item worth considering is a TPMS?

Link...https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...36/#post-66060

Fitted a TPMS on my CFmoto 650MT in China, and just fitted 1 to my converted spoked tube wheels (now Tubless as the Doc advise how to do?) on my Honda AT here in Thailand.

The TPMS will warn you if as little as 1lb pressure is lost.

So even with a tube fitted if there is a problem you will be warned before it becomes a bigger problem IMO.
    And even with the greatness care repairing a tube, you are not 100% sure until you re-fit the tube and wheel back on the bike that all is ok?.

But having a TPMS fitted within 2 mins of riding of you can see from the pressure readout all is fine or NOT?

Just my 10 cents on this matter.
    Good idea, but do you get TPMS just for bikes? The ones I saw were all for cars and look a bit bulky. Mounting space is a real issue for me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast