Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Look forward to your owner review and subsequent RR's once you get the bike and some saddle time
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Adjust the rear suspension harder. A friend had the bike and the drive performance got much better after we changed it to harder.
    Watch out to the side stand. It touches the ground very early. If you are confident enough you will grind the stand foot down to half. The good thing is that this bike has an excellent curving stability even with two people.
    You mentioned the seating position. I have your height and have to say that for my taste the position is too passive. It reminded me more to a cruiser because the pegs are quite in front. But when you go mainly road and easy gravel its comfy.
    In heavier terrain it makes standing on my height difficult.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #13 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So, got the bike last Thursday and immediately set off on a ride to Anji to familiarise myself with the bike, and also riding a bike in general, which I haven't done in ages. I used to do a lot of cycling, also in China, so the crazy traffic didn't bother me that much. I was, however surprised to find a dual carriageway road on what appeared to be a small road through the mountains on my map. I drove slowly, keeping revs below 5000 all the way to ensure proper run in, and often stopped next to the road for a rest. This turned out to be a lot of fun, as I quickly got an audience who wanted to chat, share a smoke and take pictures of the bike/laowai/themselves with the bike. I love the Chinese countryside, life is so simple there.

Back to the bike. The X is quite a bit higher than the normal TRK502 and has underbelly protection, main stand and larger wire spoke wheels. It has also been tuned to deliver maximum torque at 5000 instead of 6000 revs, which I could feel immediately. The bike feels strong and is happy to accelerate in any gear from low revs, although power delivery is not going to be earth shattering. Bear in mind that I only went up to 5000 revs and I expect the bike to get much livelier once it is run in and I can twist its ear a bit. Seating is indeed comfortable and I didn't really get tired. I am happy to spend hours in the saddle. I noticed some reviews criticized the brakes. I found them sufficient on the few times I had to evade idiots barging in from side roads.

The bike is HEAVY, especially with the 20 liter fuel tank filled. But once it gets going it actually handles quiet well. I had an embarrassing mishap on the way back, when I stopped at the bike shop for a chat. Trying to turn the bike around on an incline, amateur mistake, I just couldn't hold it against the slope and it toppled over with me on it. I remembered reading somewhere to get away from the bike, which I did reluctantly, fortunately no injuries to me or the bike, just bruised ego. The massive crash bars proved their worth and weren't even sctrathed, but I was left quite nervous and thankful to the guys from the shop who immediately ran out to help me up. I will need to get more strength in my legs and learn how to pick it up from the floor, but in the meantime I will try to make sure I don't repeat that stupid mistake. I got on the bike immediately after the incident and it calmed my nerves a bit, but then I had to face the traffic into Huzhou, with lurking cops in the city centre where bikes are banned and where I live.

I am still riding with a temporary plate, which is not even on the bike, but the two or three cops I roade past seemed to admire it more than be interested in me. I found a quiet back road to my apartment, where I chained the bike with a massive chain to a steel pole and put a cover over it. The security guy came out to have a look, as it was right under the security camera, and I quickly had another audience, offering smokes again and asking about price and how fast it was, and whether it was a Ducatti. Seems like I will need to start pretending that I smoke and keep a packet on me.

I will register the bike this coming Monday to get a plate and my next trip will be to Wuxi on Wednesday to visit my gf. I will keep y'all posted. Might do a trip out to Moganshan in the following week.

PS: I am really chuffed with the bike, it looks so beautiful in metallic red and really turn heads.

4. #14 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Regular
    good review! wish you'll have safe and fun trips.

recently I checked some reviews of TRK502X, some said front fork is from Marzocchi and wheels are spoke tubeless type. is it so? could you clarify it?

5. #15 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by a_steel View Post

recently I checked some reviews of TRK502X, some said front fork is from Marzocchi and wheels are spoke tubeless type. is it so? could you clarify it?
    I will have a look and let you know. It has Metzeler tyres, but not sure if they are tubeless.

6. #16 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    I would be very very surprise if the spoke wheels are TUBLESS?.
    Normally these type of wheels are on TOP END bikes.?

I just couldn't hold it against the slope and it toppled over with me on

The bigger the bike (KG) the easier there go down? it wont be the last time.

Lesson learnt.

Happens to all the best riders.
    Last edited by prince666; 09-11-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #17 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_steel View Post

The wheels are not tubeless even the tire is tubeless, but there's a third-party manufactor that could provide a tubleless one, which cost about 5000 RMB for two wheels.
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

8. #18 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I had a look today and the wheels are indeed tubeless. Did another very pleasant ride along Taihu, beautiful road with almost no cars. Growing really fond of my bike, a real pleasure to ride

9. #19 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigheadsnake View Post
    The wheels are not tubeless even the tire is tubeless, but there's a third-party manufactor that could provide a tubleless one, which cost about 5000 RMB for two wheels.
    for 5k I will convert spoke wheels to tubeless myself
    WeChat Image_20180910172858.jpg

actually, these are tubeless

10. #20 Re: New Benelli TRK502X with spoke wheels 
    Quote Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
    I had a look today and the wheels are indeed tubeless. Did another very pleasant ride along Taihu, beautiful road with almost no cars. Growing really fond of my bike, a real pleasure to ride
    You are saying your spoke wheels are TUBELESS?
    If that is the case I am VERY Surprised.

Even my Honda AT don't come with TUBELESS spoke wheels?

But for less than 1000 RMB you can convert them?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast